Job Posting - Assistant Registrar: Ohio History Connection, Columbus, OH
Please excuse cross-posting.
Assistant Registrar of Collections, Ohio History Connection
The Ohio History Connection (formerly the Ohio Historical Society) is seeking a full-time Assistant
Registrar of Collections in its Museum & Library Services Division.
The assistant registrar performs various tasks that promote physical and intellectual control of the
Ohio History Connection's museum and non-public-record archival collections. These tasks include:
* Assisting with record-keeping activities that promote identification and management of collections
at the Ohio History Center in Columbus and at the Ohio History Connection's network of sites throughout Ohio.
* Performing inventories and audits of Ohio History Connection collections in Columbus and at sites
* Creating new catalog records and updating descriptive and administrative information in existing
records in the collection catalog and collection management system.
* Photographing collections and generating images for multiple purposes, such as condition
documentation, accession paperwork, and display images for the online catalog.
* Generating referral, accession, loan and other collections-related documents.
* Assisting with loan negotiations, condition reporting, packing, shipping and insurance.
* Relocating collections at the Ohio History Center and at other Ohio History Connection sites and
documenting location changes.
* Working with staff to facilitate other collection-related activities, including exhibit
preparation, educational programs and development.
* Communicating with a range of stakeholders, including other Ohio History Connection staff, members of
site-partner organizations, staff at other institutions, and members of the public.
Applicants should possess a Bachelor's degree in museum studies or a related subject or the equivalent in
work experience plus minimum one-year experience in museum registration. Thorough knowledge of
registration methods and policies, as well as current museum collection management and handling
practices, is strongly desired. Knowledge of and experience with automated collection records systems
and database development are also desired.