Eric Hellman | 8 Nov 00:15 2006

COinS adoption trend


We monitor the traffic on our website and on the downloads of our 
OpenURL Referrer  firefox extension which handles COinS.

It's no been out for well over a year; my best estimate of the 
adoption trend is that it has been steadily increasing by 18% per 
month over the full span of our data.

Sometimes we overlook the long term impact of what we do because of 
gradual adoption that is always a bit slower than what we notice with 
our short attention spans. I think that the real impact of OpenURL in 
general is just starting to be seen.

Eric

--

-- 

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly 
Informatics Division
eric@...                                    2 Broad St., Suite 208
tel 1-973-509-7800 fax 1-734-468-6216              Bloomfield, NJ 07003
http://www.openly.com/1cate/      1 Click Access To Everything

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

(Continue reading)

Eric Hellman | 15 Nov 22:29 2006

refbase release


Matthias posted to gcs-pcs a while back about his work on refbase; I 
noticed that they  released version 0.9.0 a few weeks ago with this 
nice feature:

SRU/W, unAPI, OpenURL and COinS
refbase supports modern search and bibliographic standards which can 
be utilized by the next generation of bibliographic clients and which 
allow for better indexing by search engines. refbase offers an SRU/W 
web-service that allows clients to access a refbase database using a 
standard query syntax and retrieve results in structured XML format. 
In addition, refbase embeds bibliographic metadata within web pages 
(COinS) and advertises bibliographic formats associated with database 
records via it's unAPI service. This allows clients to automatically 
discover and extract bibliographic data from a refbase database. 
Using these features, visitors to your site will be able to use it 
more efficiently with the resources they have access to.
--

-- 

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly 
Informatics Division
eric@...                                    2 Broad St., Suite 208
tel 1-973-509-7800 fax 1-734-468-6216              Bloomfield, NJ 07003
http://www.openly.com/1cate/      1 Click Access To Everything

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
(Continue reading)

Matthias Steffens | 15 Nov 22:56 2006
Picon

Re: refbase release


On 15-Nov-06 at 16:29 -0500 Eric Hellman wrote:
> Matthias posted to gcs-pcs a while back about his work on refbase;

Yes, and the help from this list (regarding the refbase unAPI
implementation) is *greatly* appreciated! I apologize for never
responding back, I simply got overloaded with other work at that
time and never really recovered.

> I noticed that they  released version 0.9.0 a few weeks ago with
> this nice feature:
> 
> SRU/W, unAPI, OpenURL and COinS

It's very nice to see support of COinS in other projects too, such
as Zotero (<http://www.zotero.org/>). Using COinS, Zotero can
automatically extract information from any refbase server. This kind
of standards-based integration is *so much* better than screen
scraping web pages and I sincerely hope that there will be more
stuff like this in the near future. E.g., I hope that the Zotero
guys will eventually add support for unAPI as well.

The refbase implementation of SRU/W and unAPI might not be perfect
yet (e.g., parsing of CQL queries could be improved), but we have
to start somehow... ;-)

Thanks again for your help,

Matthias
_____________________________________
(Continue reading)

Martin Hald | 16 Nov 00:07 2006

Skolr for testing UnAPI / Wordpress UnAPI bug

For those of you who are using UnAPI with Dublin Core metadata and are interested in testing it out the Skolr project has an UnAPI integration.  Skolr is an ongoing NSDL project to research personal digital libraries.  From within Skolr you can setup a greasemonkey javascript script the creates a "Save to Skolr" link on any UnAPI enabled page that includes DC support.

So, here is how you can test out your UnAPI resource.  Setup:
  • Goto http://www.skolr.org/people/unapi/sources/add
  • login with unapi/unapi2
  • Click on "Save references directly from digital library using UnAPI" on the right hand side
  • Install greasemonkey if needed
  • Right click on the skolr_unapi.js and install script (or view script then install it)
Test
  • go to an UnAPI page and there should be a "Save to Skolr" link.
For those who notice the UnAPI link to Oregon State University on the setup page, the production server is currently not showing the <abbr> due to an upgrade but when we have time we will return and re-enable the UnAPI service at OSU.

Which brings me to the wordpress plugin.  From what I can tell there is a bug in the implementation.  When it chops off the first 500 characters of the entry it does so after the entry has been made HTML-safe, thereby if there was a & and the quote was translated into &amp; it becomes non-XML safe and breaks parsers.  This is currently the case for the "Our latest article... " entry.

I have attached the Skolr error page as a PDF and it includes details from the XML parser and shows the metadata returned from the UnAPI blog to Skolr.  If the first 500 characters are chosen before the text is made HTML-safe the issue should go away.

Cheers,

-m


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Attachment (unapi.pdf): application/pdf, 43 KiB
Michael J. Giarlo | 16 Nov 16:04 2006
Picon

Re: Skolr for testing UnAPI / Wordpress UnAPI bug

Thanks, Martin!  I'll get the WP plug-in fixed up shortly.

-Mike


On 11/15/06, Martin Hald <mhald-k8nsXnnqDBlWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org > wrote:
For those of you who are using UnAPI with Dublin Core metadata and are interested in testing it out the Skolr project has an UnAPI integration.  Skolr is an ongoing NSDL project to research personal digital libraries.  From within Skolr you can setup a greasemonkey javascript script the creates a "Save to Skolr" link on any UnAPI enabled page that includes DC support.

So, here is how you can test out your UnAPI resource.  Setup:
  • Goto http://www.skolr.org/people/unapi/sources/add
  • login with unapi/unapi2
  • Click on "Save references directly from digital library using UnAPI" on the right hand side
  • Install greasemonkey if needed
  • Right click on the skolr_unapi.js and install script (or view script then install it)
Test
  • go to an UnAPI page and there should be a "Save to Skolr" link.
For those who notice the UnAPI link to Oregon State University on the setup page, the production server is currently not showing the <abbr> due to an upgrade but when we have time we will return and re-enable the UnAPI service at OSU.

Which brings me to the wordpress plugin.  From what I can tell there is a bug in the implementation.  When it chops off the first 500 characters of the entry it does so after the entry has been made HTML-safe, thereby if there was a & and the quote was translated into &amp; it becomes non-XML safe and breaks parsers.  This is currently the case for the "Our latest article... " entry.

I have attached the Skolr error page as a PDF and it includes details from the XML parser and shows the metadata returned from the UnAPI blog to Skolr.  If the first 500 characters are chosen before the text is made HTML-safe the issue should go away.

Cheers,

-m






--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Robert Forkel | 21 Nov 10:39 2006

known formats list for unAPI


hi all,
i was wondering whether some recommendations about formats (and format
names) should be part of the unAPI spec or implementation guidelines?
i think this would make life for unAPI aware clients easier. what i'm
thinking of is either a recommended default format each unAPI server
should support (like oai_dc), or a list of format-name,
format-docs-url pairs for known formats.
best regards,
robert

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Michael J. Giarlo | 21 Nov 14:44 2006
Picon

Re: known formats list for unAPI


Hey Robert,

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, and it hasn't been updated in a 
while, but voila!

	http://unapi.stikipad.com/unapi/show/existing+formats

Best,

-Mike

At 04:39 PT, 11/21/2006, Robert Forkel wrote:
 >
 >
 >hi all,
 >i was wondering whether some recommendations about formats (and format
 >names) should be part of the unAPI spec or implementation guidelines?
 >i think this would make life for unAPI aware clients easier. what i'm
 >thinking of is either a recommended default format each unAPI server
 >should support (like oai_dc), or a list of format-name,
 >format-docs-url pairs for known formats.
 >best regards,
 >robert
 >
 >

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Robert Forkel | 21 Nov 14:52 2006

Re: known formats list for unAPI


On 11/21/06, Michael J. Giarlo <leftwing@...> wrote:

> This isn't exactly what you're looking for, and it hasn't been updated in a
> while, but voila!
>
>         http://unapi.stikipad.com/unapi/show/existing+formats
>
that's close enough! thank you! at least i don't have to make up names
by myself anymore, plus there's a url to point people to.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Robert Forkel | 21 Nov 10:30 2006

default metadata format for unAPI


hi all,
i was wondering, whether it would make sense to include some
recommendation about a default metadata format in the unAPI spec or
implementation guidelines? that would make life somewhat easier for
unAPI consumers. or - if dc would be this default format - recommend a
standard list of metadata format names to use for known formats.
best regards,
robert

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
 You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gcs-pcs-list" group.
To post to this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to gcs-pcs-list-unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Gmane