Grundtvig Nielsen Niels | 23 Jun 11:16 2016

track changes in XXE and .pdf

Still on 6.6.0, intending to upgrade to 7.0 as soon as I get a quiet moment ...

I thought I'd fully understood how to have visible tracked changes using the standard "status" attribute,
but I've obviously forgotten something. I've started by re-reading
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/index.html, and can now:

* use a .profiles file Topic > Conditional processing > Select profile > Conditional processing profiles
to have visible feedback on "status" while editing.

* alternatively, I can specify a .ditaval file Topic > Conditional processing > Select profile > Use
.ditaval file and have visible tracked changes in the .pdf

What I've forgotten is how to be greedy and have visible change-tracking both on screen in XXE and in the
generated .pdf. I've added a reference to our earlier exchange of mails on this topic, in case it helps.

N

-----Original Message-----
From: Hussein Shafie [mailto:hussein <at> xmlmind.com]
Sent: vrijdag 25 december 2015 12:00
To: Grundtvig Nielsen Niels
Cc: 'xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com'
Subject: Re: [XXE] streamlined track-changes [THE REAL ANSWER]

*********************************************************************************************
Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444
(Continue reading)

Grundtvig Nielsen Niels | 23 Jun 11:24 2016

change tracking, profiles &c ? extra comment

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/the_solutions.html says

 

Suffice to associate the ".profiles" file[3] to the map and to check Tools → Use as Master Document in XMLmind XML Editor - Online Help.

 

With focus on a bookmap or a ditamap, the Tools menu in XXE 6.6.0 does not include a Use as master document command. Another good reason for upgrading?

 

 

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

technical author T&P

you know what you’re talking about – I can help you say it

 


*********************************************************************************************
Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment there to be confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support

Master document vs. Navigation pane

Dear Hussein,
I just installed XXE 7.0 and gave the new master document function a try.
One thing I am missing is: using the navigation pane I was able to directly open an included document in a lower level (meaning: when I have chapter - section - section inclusions the navigation pane directly opened the last section document), now I seem only to be able to open the chapter using the “Edit referenced document” function. There is no tree for the master document. Am I missing something?
 
Regards, Frank
 

Oerlikon Textile GmbH & Co. KG, Leverkuser Strasse 65, 42897 Remscheid, Deutschland / Germany
Gesellschaftsangaben: Kommanditgesellschaft mit Sitz in Remscheid, Handelsregister Wuppertal HRA 22506
Persoenlich haftende Gesellschafterin: OT Textile Verwaltungs GmbH mit Sitz in Arbon, Schweiz, Handelsregister des Kantons Thurgau CH-440.4.021.435-0
Geschäftsfuehrer: Georg Stausberg (Vorsitzender) Ralf Schilken, Ulrich Wunder
Corporate Information: Limited Partnership with registered office in Remscheid, Register of Companies Wuppertal HRA 22506
General Partner: OT Textile Verwaltungs LLC with registered office in Arbon, Switzerland, Register of Companies of the Canton Thurgau CH-440.4.021.435-0
Managing Directors: Georg Stausberg (Chairman), Ralf Schilken, Ulrich Wunder
.
 

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support
Grundtvig Nielsen Niels | 22 Jun 12:23 2016

system variables

A colleague has just spotted a left-over hardcoded date in a document information table. Is there any way I can pull in a system filestamp, or do I need to set something in the .ditamap properties by hand and [somehow] redisplay it?

 

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

technical author T&P

you know what you’re talking about – I can help you say it

 


*********************************************************************************************
Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment there to be confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support
Chris Despopoulos | 21 Jun 23:18 2016
Picon

Evaluation Questions

Hello...

I am evaluating CMLMind DITA edition for use at my company.  I hope I can ask a few questions.

My first question is, do you include a Tree View of the element hierarchy?  Or a Table of Contents View?  I don't see it, but I might be missing it.

Thanks so much...

Chris Despopoulos

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support
Hussein Shafie | 21 Jun 10:25 2016

Release of XMLmind XML Editor v7.0

XML Editor, DITA Editor, DocBook Editor and XHTML Editor v7.0
Personal Editions may be downloaded from
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/download.shtml

Professional Edition users, please upgrade using this form:
http://www.xmlmind.com/store/download.php

(The above form is usually accessed through
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/upgrade.html.)

    _____________________________________________

XMLmind XML Editor v7.0 (June 21, 2016):

XMLmind is happy to announce three new products: XMLmind DITA Editor[1],
XMLmind DocBook Editor[2], XMLmind XHTML Editor[3].
These products are attractively priced, “special editions” of
XMLmind XML Editor. Because they focus on a single class of documents,
these specialized editors are slightly faster and simpler to use than
XMLmind XML Editor. More information in "Which editor to choose?"[4].

A Personal License[5] is now available for XMLmind XML Editor,
XMLmind DITA Editor, XMLmind DocBook Editor and XMLmind XHTML Editor.
This makes our four editors free to use by many persons and
organizations. More information in "Which license to choose?"[6].

The Personal Editions of XMLmind XML Editor, XMLmind DITA Editor,
XMLmind DocBook Editor and XMLmind XHTML Editor may be freely
downloaded from this page[7].

This new version also has substantial enhancements and a number of bug
fixes. All these enhancements aim to make our XML editors simpler and
more straightforward to use.

* Major overhaul of the "Edit source" add-on (installed by default).
* Replaced menu item "Tools|Open Navigation Pane" by
   checkbox "Tools|Use as Master Document".
* New "View|Multiple Views" submenu.
* Made option "Automatically reopen last opened documents"
   much more useful.

    _____________________________________________

References:

[1] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/dita_editor.html
[2] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/docbook_editor.html
[3] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/xhtml_editor.html
[4] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/which_editor.html
[5] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/license_xxe_perso.html
[6] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/which_license.html
[7] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/download.shtml

More information in
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/changes.html

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support

Hussein Shafie | 17 Jun 17:22 2016

Re: Exclude specific section titles

Matt S. wrote:
>
> I had tried your suggestions and nice to see that I was at least going in
> the right direction. I might have removed it by mistake or have a setting
> wrong but for <title> the attribute "otherprops" isn't showing.

Yes, that's right. You did nothing wrong. I have this anomaly too.

Well it seems that the <title> element has no "otherprops" attribute. 
Never noticed that.

See 
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/title.html#title 
AND 
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/os/part2-tech-content/langRef/base/title.html#title

This looks very much like an "oversight" in the DITA DTD because 
"otherprops" is a standard conditional processing attribute. And even 
it's uncommon to exclude titles, I don't see why titles could not be 
flagged.

> However adding "NOT_IN_PDF" to the attribute "base".

This is OK too with XMLmind XML Editor and its XMLmind DITA Converter 
engine, though "base" is not a standard conditional processing attribute.

> The rest of the procedure
> then works and I'm getting the output I'm interested in.
>

Excellent!

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support

Matt Sims | 16 Jun 19:39 2016

Exclude specific section titles

Hi,

 

I want to convert a bookmap to pdf and with this particular output exclude some of the section titles but include the section text.

 

i.e.

 

Section Title - exclude this

 

This is my section text. This is my section text. This is my section text. This is my section text. This is my section text. - Include this.

 

 

For other outputs, I might want to include the section title as well.

 

Is it possible and if so how.

 

Thanks,

 

Matt

 


--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support
Grundtvig Nielsen Niels | 16 Jun 11:36 2016

regular expressions

... wonderful things!

 

I'm trying to search all the files included in a .ditamap that include three upper-case letters. After thinking about for a while, I realised what the Helps meant by Match operation combobox, and I managed to set up a search string =~ [A-Z][A-Z][A-Z]

 

What I notice in the results is that the search doesn't seem to be case-sensitive ...

 

 

(example, in case the pasted screenshot falls off en route) =~ [A-Z][A-Z][A-Z] is confidently returning a <title> element “Additional services”

 

Have I overlooked a switch somewhere?

 

 

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

technical author T&P

you know what you’re talking about – I can help you say it

 

 


*********************************************************************************************
Worldline SA/NV - Chaussee de Haecht 1442 Haachtsesteenweg
- 1130 Brussels - Belgium
RPM-RPR Bruxelles-Brussel - TVA-BTW BE 0418.547.872
Bankrekening-Compte Bancaire-Bank Account 310-0269424-44
BIC BBRUBEBB - IBAN BE55 3100 2694 2444

"The information contained in this e-mail and any attachment there to be confidential and may contain information which is protected by intellectual property rights.
This information is intended for the exclusive use of the recipient(s) named above.
This e-mail does not constitute any binding relationship or offer toward any of the addressees.
If you are not one of the addressees , one of their employees or a proxy holder entitled to hand over this message to the addressee(s), any use of the information contained herein (e.g. reproduction, divulgation, communication or distribution,...) is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and destroy it immediately after.
The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed and it may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, for which we accept no liability."

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support
Hussein Shafie | 16 Jun 09:40 2016

Re: interaction between Find next menu and the Search pane

Leif H. S. wrote:
> (Except that in Mac OS X, the command is Cmd-Shift-G.)

Sorry. I often use modifier key "Ctrl" whatever the platform.

>
> Like I said, one must use Command-F and Command-Shift-F on a mac. Of
> course, Command-Shift-G does work - it searches upwards. However,
> Command-Shift-G does not have any effect on the direction in the
> Tool|Search next
>

Yes, you are right. My mistake.

Pressing Command-G or Command-Shift-G works as expected, but also shows 
the Search tool and updates just its "Search:" text field. These 
keyboard shortcuts have no effect whatsoever on the Up/Down radio buttons.

This behavior is the same on all platforms.

>
> Please do at least have a look on the Mac version of XMLmind XML Editor
> in order to check whether the Mac version behaves as you think - since
> you told me incorrect keyboard combinations above, I wonder if you are
> not completely aware of how the Mac version works.
>

Each new version of XMLmind XML Editor is extensively tested on the Mac 
with latest Apple Java 6 and then with latest Oracle Java 8.

Aside the bugs of Oracle Java 8 on the Mac (less and less bugs as Java 8 
is updated), we can guarantee that XMLmind XML Editor works the same on 
all the platforms we officially support (Windows, Mac, Linux).

In summary, sorry to disappoint you, but we will not implement your 
request for enhancement (or "fix" anything) because we consider that the 
Search tool and the "Find Next"/"Find Previous" menu items currently 
work sufficiently well. We have clearly understood that you think otherwise.

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support

Hussein Shafie | 15 Jun 15:11 2016

Re: interaction between Find next menu and the Search pane

Leif H. S. wrote:
>
> I have a small wish - may be I have said something similar before:
>
>   * Bug/Feature wish: The Search tool allows us to search downwards
>     (default) and upwards. Nice. But when I do change the direction, I
>     would like the direction to affect the «Find Next» menu as well. It
>     seems to me that Find next should then move upwards, as well.

There is a dedicated keyboard shortcut for that: Ctrl+Shift-G.

However, it seems that your idea is basically:
---
Use the Search tool to parametrize the behavior of "Tools|Find Next". No 
need to click "Start" in the Search tool for this to happen.
---

In fact, it's currently the opposite which is implemented.

Please select some text directly in the document view, then directly 
press Ctrl-G (Find Next) or Ctrl+Shift-G (Find Previous) and see by 
yourself what happens in the Search tool.

Then please alternate between Ctrl-G and Ctrl+Shift-G without touching 
the Search tool.

We'll probably not implement what you suggest, not because it does not 
make sense, but because we are not convinced that this would 
substantially improve the text search/replace facilities of XMLmind XML 
Editor.

The fact that it does not work in XMLmind XML Editor like in any other 
Mac application is not sufficient to implement what you suggest.

Please let me add a personal comment. I've never, ever found a text 
search/replace facility perfectly comfortable to use, and this, whatever 
the application and whatever the OS. (This of course includes XMLmind 
XML Editor.) I mean, I always have minor gripes against the text 
search/replace facility of the application I use, whatever is this 
application.

Leif H. S. also wrote:
> (PS: In my first reply I said "Find next" - the typical wording even in English Mac applications. However, I
just now noticed that in XMLeditor it is called "Search next".)
>
> Another anomaly related to the interaction between Find next menu and the Search pane:
>
>     When you the first time enter "X" into the search field of the Search tool pane, then simply press Command-G
(or select Search next from the Search menu), and then you will find the first instance of "X". That is: You
do not have to click the Start button of the Search/Replace pane - you can simply press Command-G.
>         Now if, before you are completely finished searching for "X", you want to search for "Y" instead, you
simply do the same thing:
>         You enter/type "Y" inside the search field in the Search pane
>         Then, to start searching, you press Command-G (or select Search next from the Search menu).
>         What should happen then? You should find "Y". And this is also what happens.
>     Now, imagine that, after "Y", you want to go back to to searching for "X" - you then have two options - one
option that works as expected and another one that has an unexpected effect.
>         What does work as expected is to simply follow the steps 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 above - that is: You can enter "X"
into the Search field - that is: you can type "X" into the search field - and then press Command-G to start searching.
>         What does not work as expected is this: Imagine that "X" was actually a very long search term which you
therefore do not have to enter by retyping. So therefore you click the pop-up menu of the Search field, and
from this pop-up you select the "X".
>         Then, because step 1.2 above worked, you assume that you can find the next instance of "X" by simply
entering Command-G again. And this is what you do - you hit Command-G
>         Now what should happen?
>             EXPECTED OUTCOME: You should find the next "X".
>             ACTUAL OUTCOME: What actually happens is that you locate the next "Y" !!!
>             Workaround: First: The reason for using Command-G is of course to work as much as possible via the keyboard
instead of clicking and buttons. So as a workaround that achieve that, then, whenever I enter a search term
via the pop-up menu of the Search field (as opposed to enter it manually), instead of clicking the Start
button, I can start searching by hitting the «Enter» key on the keyabord.
>
> The workaround works. But it is annoying to have to use another method. In every other Mac app I use, I can
start to search for next - including the first - instance by hitting Command-G (or Find next from the menu).
>
> I hope this was clear and sorry for using so many words to explain it ...

--
XMLmind XML Editor Support List
xmleditor-support <at> xmlmind.com
http://www.xmlmind.com/mailman/listinfo/xmleditor-support

Gmane