Richard White | 3 Jul 21:22 2009

Installing/upgrading nano on OS X

Hello, and apologies in advance for what I'm sure will be an easy to  
fix problem. I'm attempting to install a newer version of nano on my  
Mac running OS 10.5.7. I wanted to upgrade the system nano on there,  
so ran ./configure, make, and make install as shown:

sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls --enable-color --enable- 
extra --enable-multibuffer --enable-nanorc --enable-utf8

	[results shown below]

make

	[results shown below]

sudo make install

	[results shown below]

While nano seems to work more or less as it should, in attempting to  
configure ~/.nanorc , I've determined that uncommenting any "include"  
line results in an error message when nano is started:

JulesVerne:~/nano-2.1.0 11:55 $ nano ~/notes.txt

Error in /Users/rwhite/.nanorc on line 254: Command "include" not  
understood

Press Enter to continue starting nano.

Also, running nano -V doesn't indicate all the options specified  
(Continue reading)

John Goche | 12 Jul 16:30 2009

Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

Hello,

I have downloaded the nano text editor (a clone of the former
pico text editor that used to be distributed with pine, an
internet mail program and newgroup reader developed at
the University of Washington). I have downloaded nano from:

http://www.nano-editor.org/

I have downloaded the zip file containing the Windows
executable file. On the nano main screen, in the lower
left hand corner appears the [^T To Spell] option to run
the spell checker. However when I press CTRL-T the
response on the bottom of the screen is:

[ Error writing temp file: No such file or directory ] . 

 
Do I have to install a dictionary file somewhere on Windows
Vista for it to work? Where do I get the dictionary file from
and exactly where does it need to be for nanoto find it?

I have checked the nano FAQ at the nano website but found no answers. Could someone kindly tell me how I can fix the problem I am experiencing?

Thanks a lot,

John Goche

_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
John Goche | 14 Jul 16:14 2009

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

 
Thank you for your reply...
 
Wouldn't it be better if nano for windows supported spell checking using
a simple dictionary file such as the traditional /usr/dict/words found in
Unix environments (this file usually contains a list of words with one
word per line), thus doing away with the need to rely on a separate
program such as ispell?
 
It seems somewhat unreasonable that one would have to download
cygwin just to get spell checking to work under windows.
 
Regards,
 
John Goche
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM, [Name and Email Deleted] wrote:
The win32 binary is really not intended for a full-fledged email
environment; nano does not contain its own spell checking program, it
just invokes 'spell' or 'ispell' under the covers.  If you were to
install a win32 binary of ispell you could probably get the nano
binary to work with that but I'm not aware of any such binaries.  My
advice would be if you're looking to use nano for real email editing,
I would install it via cygwin (http://sourceware.org/cygwin/) which
would allow you to get ispell or spell binaries installed as well.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:30, John Goche<johngoche99 <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded the nano text editor (a clone of the former
> pico text editor that used to be distributed with pine, an
> internet mail program and newgroup reader developed at
> the University of Washington). I have downloaded nano from:
>
> http://www.nano-editor.org/
>
> I have downloaded the zip file containing the Windows
> executable file. On the nano main screen, in the lower
> left hand corner appears the [^T To Spell] option to run
> the spell checker. However when I press CTRL-T the
> response on the bottom of the screen is:
>
> [ Error writing temp file: No such file or directory ] .
>
>
> Do I have to install a dictionary file somewhere on Windows
> Vista for it to work? Where do I get the dictionary file from
> and exactly where does it need to be for nanoto find it?
>
> I have checked the nano FAQ at the nano website but found no answers. Could
> someone kindly tell me how I can fix the problem I am experiencing?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> John Goche
>
> _______________________________________________
> Help-nano mailing list
> Help-nano <at> gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
>
>

_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
Eitan Adler | 15 Jul 00:16 2009
Picon

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

John Goche wrote:
> Thank you for your reply...
> 
> Wouldn't it be better if nano for windows supported spell checking using
> a simple dictionary file such as the traditional /usr/dict/words found in
> Unix environments (this file usually contains a list of words with one
> word per line), thus doing away with the need to rely on a separate
> program such as ispell?

That would not be the "unix way":
As Doug McIlroy summarized "...Write programs that do one thing and do
it well. Write programs to work together..."
John Goche | 17 Jul 16:12 2009

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

 
Thank you for your reply...
 
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Anonymous <anonymoys <at> gmail.com> wrote:
John Goche wrote:
> Thank you for your reply...
>
> Wouldn't it be better if nano for windows supported spell checking using
> a simple dictionary file such as the traditional /usr/dict/words found in
> Unix environments (this file usually contains a list of words with one
> word per line), thus doing away with the need to rely on a separate
> program such as ispell?

That would not be the "unix way":
As Doug McIlroy summarized "...Write programs that do one thing and do
it well. Write programs to work together..."
 
You have a point. However, in this case it would be a good idea to port ispell to
Windows without having to have it depend on Cygwin. Once this is done it would
be good to ship the two together in the windows version of nano as it is no good
to have a nano text spell command that does not work out of the box.
 
Thank you for your consideration,
 
Regards,
 
John Goche
_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
Eitan Adler | 20 Jul 19:19 2009
Picon

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

Perhaps there is already a spell checker for windows that serves a
similar purpose?

--

-- 
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."
-Jakob Nielsen
John Goche | 21 Jul 15:16 2009

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help


Hello,

Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.
It would be nice indeed if there were a text speller
which could be used instead of ispell. However,
fist of all nano should have a screen where you
can tell nano which program to use to carry out
the text spelling, whether ispell or some other
program. Second, it appears to me that if another
spell checker is used instead of ispell, than it must
support the same command line interface in order
to be compatible with nano.

As a curiosity, assuming the name "ispell" is
included into nano and the fork() system call
is used to launch it, where does nano look
for ispell in terms of the absolute path to
the spell checker?

Also, as an aside, does anyone know whether
the nano screen interface for window is also
compiled with GNU ncurses just like the
Linux counterpart?

Thanks,

John Goche

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Perhaps there is already a spell checker for windows that serves a
similar purpose?

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."
-Jakob Nielsen

_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
John Goche | 23 Jul 17:16 2009

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

 
Thank you for your reply,
 
I will consider your suggestions.
 
Interesting about the existence of PDCurses:
 
I didn't know it existed.
 
Regards,
 
John Goche
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Chris Allegretta <chrisa <at> asty.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:16 AM, John Goche<johngoche99 <at> googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.
> It would be nice indeed if there were a text speller
> which could be used instead of ispell. However,
> fist of all nano should have a screen where you
> can tell nano which program to use to carry out
> the text spelling, whether ispell or some other
> program. Second, it appears to me that if another
> spell checker is used instead of ispell, than it must
> support the same command line interface in order
> to be compatible with nano.

I agree on the second point, which is why I suggested using a full
unix-like environment like cygwin; nano is a unix program and thus
expects other unix programs to provide the functionality that it does
not provide.   Nano lets you specify an alternate spell program in the
traditional unix way: via the command line. You're not going to get
away from the fact that nano is built for Unix, so I suggested
embracing that fact.

I'm not interested in bundling ispell, or spell, or even just
/usr/shard/dict/words into nano just for the sake of win32; I may as
well just bundle all of cygwin up and call that the nano win32
version.  Except cygwin already does that so I'd just be duplicating
effort.  Let me know if you are aware of a win32-native spell check
programs that provide a list of misspelled words on stdout when they
exit and I'll consider adding support for them into the nano win32
binary.  If you're volunteering to contribute other fixes to the win32
distribution I welcome the patches.

> As a curiosity, assuming the name "ispell" is
> included into nano and the fork() system call
> is used to launch it, where does nano look
> for ispell in terms of the absolute path to
> the spell checker?

See above, probably the windows system PATH environment variable.

> Also, as an aside, does anyone know whether
> the nano screen interface for window is also
> compiled with GNU ncurses just like the
> Linux counterpart?

No, nano is built with PDCurses.(see the README.TXT that comes with the binary).

>
> Thanks,
>
> John Goche
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps there is already a spell checker for windows that serves a
>> similar purpose?
>>
>> --
>> Eitan Adler
>> "Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."
>> -Jakob Nielsen
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Help-nano mailing list
> Help-nano <at> gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
>
>

_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano
Eitan Adler | 23 Jul 19:43 2009
Picon

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

> Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.
> It would be nice indeed if there were a text speller
> which could be used instead of ispell. However,
> fist of all nano should have a screen where you
> can tell nano which program to use to carry out
> the text spelling, whether ispell or some other
> program. 
I do actually have a patch that does this. However it currently replaces
the spell check program. I will provide my patch to this list when I
have both a spell checker and a generic "send through program".

Second, it appears to me that if another
> spell checker is used instead of ispell, than it must
> support the same command line interface in order
> to be compatible with nano.
Either that or just provide some method of telling nano what CLI options
 to use.
John Goche | 25 Jul 13:10 2009

Re: Spell Checker Under Windows: Please Help

 
Hi Eitan!
 
I am looking forward to using
the spell checker functionality
you plan to contribute to the
windows version of nano.
 
Best Regards,
 
John Goche

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.
> It would be nice indeed if there were a text speller
> which could be used instead of ispell. However,
> fist of all nano should have a screen where you
> can tell nano which program to use to carry out
> the text spelling, whether ispell or some other
> program.
I do actually have a patch that does this. However it currently replaces
the spell check program. I will provide my patch to this list when I
have both a spell checker and a generic "send through program".

Second, it appears to me that if another
> spell checker is used instead of ispell, than it must
> support the same command line interface in order
> to be compatible with nano.
Either that or just provide some method of telling nano what CLI options
 to use.

_______________________________________________
Help-nano mailing list
Help-nano <at> gnu.org
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-nano

Gmane