assasukasse | 1 Mar 01:05 2008
Picon

How to have numbered equations using KOMA scripts.

Hi everyone
i found that lyx is an excellent tool for writing for academics papers, 
however, while i am pretty satisfied with the floating tables, and 
floating pictures, i still couldn't find a way to have all my equations 
numbered (not showing in the summary but just numbered)
Most of the time i just put an equation or two in between my writing, i 
do using the Math display function, so i end up with a nice equation 
centered in the page, but that is not numbered...
i would like it will be automatically numbered according to the part, 
chapter and so on..
is that possible?
Thanks
Agostino

Bob Lounsbury | 1 Mar 02:59 2008
Picon

Re: How to have numbered equations using KOMA scripts.

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM, assasukasse <assasukasse@...> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>  i found that lyx is an excellent tool for writing for academics papers,
>  however, while i am pretty satisfied with the floating tables, and
>  floating pictures, i still couldn't find a way to have all my equations
>  numbered (not showing in the summary but just numbered)
>  Most of the time i just put an equation or two in between my writing, i
>  do using the Math display function, so i end up with a nice equation
>  centered in the page, but that is not numbered...
>  i would like it will be automatically numbered according to the part,
>  chapter and so on..
>  is that possible?
>  Thanks
>  Agostino
>

At the end of the equation insert a label, Insert->Label or use the
shortcut on the toolbars.

Changing the format to number per chapter is easily possible. Just
google for the koma script documentation and read through it. I don't
remember what the command is. Anyways, if you're using koma-script it
would be good to read the documentation (which is very good by the
way).

Cheers,
/Bob

Rene Maya | 1 Mar 03:55 2008
Picon

Problems printing and exporting

Hi there,

Well I've been reading/studying the guides that come together with Lyx, and
so far I think it's a great piece of software, there is a but, though, not
only I'm a newbie to Lyx but also to Linux, specifically to Kubuntu. and I
found really hard to keep up how to install and set up everything, the worst
part is that you don't even bother saying it! you go as far as saying
something like "in this tutorial we are going to assume that Lyx is working
perfectly (why would it?) as well as LaTeX, xdvi, dvips" and then you say
that if this is not the case then I'll have to do it by myself (!?).
I believe that stuff like this is what pushes people away from using great
open source software... specially newbies like me. I know... we can always
google anything but it seems that even though there is an official website
for dvips, you can't download it from them, it only says "download reliable
TeX software, it should be included there"... why don't you include
everything that Lyx needs to be perfect?? then there seems to be a way to
link all these pieces of software, that  is, make them work together, but
never mention how to do that...

Now regarding exporting and printing... in every single document I've made
with Lyx.... If I try to do one or the other a message like this pops up...

\makeatother

The control sequence at the end of the top line

of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have

misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct

(Continue reading)

M-L | 1 Mar 04:24 2008
Picon

Re: Problems printing and exporting

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Rene Maya shared this with us all:
>--} I hope that you can help me because I actually really like working with
> Lyx, --} but then again if I can't make pdf or print then is pretty much
> useless for --} me.

Hello René,

I can feel the frustration that we have all felt, and I am not certain that I 
know enough about Kubuntu or Ubuntu to write anything helpful, but obviously 
you need to know a little about what you need to print.

You need the gs package to print from LyX, but you may need another packages 
as well. I actually print from xpdf or kpdf after converting the file to a 
PDF.

You won't see a .pdf file if you don't have a PDF viewer installed, so again 
something like xpdf will do the trick. Once installed Lyx will probably find 
it if you close down or reconfigure first and close it down.

Linux philosophy is an operating system that doesn't just install everything, 
but you can if you want. It is an operating system where you may exercise 
choice. Not a great deal is forced on you even in Kubuntu/Ubuntu, so you 
install what you think you need or want, or everything that's available if 
you have the harddrive space and don't worry about the security issues. Then 
everything will work. Very few people choose the road to bloated bother, and 
rather just install things as they are required. So you will have to make 
choices and install what you want/need. That's pretty normal when you need to 
make a choice in life and just like in life you need to look about to see 
what's available to perform the task.

(Continue reading)

CSL | 1 Mar 11:51 2008
Picon

Problems with equation numbering


Hi,

I want to have my equations numbered like (section.formula) so I put the
comand

\numberwithin{equation}{section}

in the preambule. I did in a document and it worked.
My problem is that now, I created a new document and it doesn't work. It's
the same type (article) and I write exactly the same thing in the preambule
but in one document it works and in the other I got the error message:

 \numberwithin
                  {equation}{section}
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

and

 \numberwithin{e
                    quation}{section}
You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

If someone knows what I might be doing wrong. I'm new in LyX and I cannot
fix it.
(Continue reading)

Uwe Stöhr | 1 Mar 15:25 2008
Picon

Re: How to have numbered equations using KOMA scripts.

assasukasse schrieb:

> i still couldn't find a way to have all my equations 
> numbered (not showing in the summary but just numbered)
> Most of the time i just put an equation or two in between my writing, i 
> do using the Math display function, so i end up with a nice equation 
> centered in the page, but that is not numbered...

You have to turn on numbering. Have a look at the new math manual that comes with LyX 1.5.4 to see 
the different ways how this can be done.

> i would like it will be automatically numbered according to the part, 
> chapter and so on..

Use the preamble command
\numberwithin
More about this is also described in the math manual and also in the EmbeddedObjects manual.

regards Uwe

Uwe Stöhr | 1 Mar 15:29 2008
Picon

Re: Problems with equation numbering

CSL schrieb:

> I want to have my equations numbered like (section.formula) so I put the
> comand
> 
> \numberwithin{equation}{section}
> 
> in the preambule. I did in a document and it worked.
> My problem is that now, I created a new document and it doesn't work.

You have to turn on "amsmath": Menu Document -> Settings -> Math Options -> "Use AMS math package"

It worked for you in the other document as LyX loaded the amsmath package automatically as you used 
amsmath stuff that is directly suppoerted by LyX. \numberwithin is not yet directly supported.

regards Uwe

rgheck | 1 Mar 16:35 2008

Re: Problems printing and exporting

Rene Maya wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Well I've been reading/studying the guides that come together with Lyx, and
> so far I think it's a great piece of software, there is a but, though, not
> only I'm a newbie to Lyx but also to Linux, specifically to Kubuntu. and I
> found really hard to keep up how to install and set up everything, the worst
> part is that you don't even bother saying it! you go as far as saying
> something like "in this tutorial we are going to assume that Lyx is working
> perfectly (why would it?) as well as LaTeX, xdvi, dvips" and then you say
> that if this is not the case then I'll have to do it by myself (!?).
>
>   
This is supposed to be handled for you by Kubuntu: When you install LyX, 
the Kubuntu package manager should install everything that is necessary 
to get LyX working correctly. If it's not doing that, then that is a 
problem with Kubuntu, not with LyX.

> I believe that stuff like this is what pushes people away from using great
> open source software... specially newbies like me. I know... we can always
> google anything but it seems that even though there is an official website
> for dvips, you can't download it from them, it only says "download reliable
> TeX software, it should be included there"... why don't you include
> everything that Lyx needs to be perfect?? 
First, because there isn't actually such a thing. Take TeX for example. 
There are many "distributions" of TeX, and on Linux there are two that 
are very widely used: tetex, which is actually unmaintained now but is 
still used in Fedora 8, and TeXLive, which is found in many new 
distributions. You might have had one of these installed before LyX was 
installed, in which case LyX doesn't need to install TeX, and in fact 
(Continue reading)

rgheck | 1 Mar 16:35 2008

Re: Problems printing and exporting

M-L wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008, Rene Maya shared this with us all:
>   
>> --} I hope that you can help me because I actually really like working with
>> Lyx, --} but then again if I can't make pdf or print then is pretty much
>> useless for --} me.
>>     
>
> I can feel the frustration that we have all felt, and I am not certain that I 
> know enough about Kubuntu or Ubuntu to write anything helpful, but obviously 
> you need to know a little about what you need to print.
>
> You need the gs package to print from LyX, but you may need another packages 
> as well. I actually print from xpdf or kpdf after converting the file to a 
> PDF.
>
>   
And I do the same sort of thing: View>DVI, and then print from your DVI 
viewer. I want to see the thing before I print it anyway, so this isn't 
an extra step.

rh

Graham Smith | 1 Mar 16:46 2008
Picon

Re: Including alternate text for figures on HTML export

Given the lack of response I assume there is no easy answer to this,  
however, with help elsewhere it seems that this can be done with  
tex4ht which is part of the Mactex distribution.

This is done with one of the following commands

1	 \Picture[replacement-for-textual-browser]{file-name attributes}
2	\Picture+[replacement-for-text-browsers]{file-name attributes} 
content\EndPicture
3	\Picture*[replacement-for-text-browsers]{file-name attributes} 
content\EndPicture

This leads me to additional questions.

1. what program does lyx use for the HTML conversion (on the Mac), I  
presume it tells me on the wiki somewhere but I can't find it.

2. I have tried several ways of using command 1 above to try and add  
the alt text into the graphics latex options, but get compile errors.  
the commands are obviously meant for tex4ht, but I thought I would  
give it a try..

3. Assuming tex4ht isn't one of the two HTML export options in Lyx,  
can I add it as an export option menu item.

Thanks,

Graham

On 28 Feb 2008, at 14:47, Graham Smith wrote:
(Continue reading)


Gmane