Klonuo Umom | 6 Oct 13:05 2011
Picon

How to change application language


Hi,

I installed Abiword and application language is set to my native language.
None application so far did this and I want application language to be
plain English.
Even more if I do want to set other language, any application
providing this feature would let me easily change this through common
setting dialog.

How do I change Abiword application language (menus, dialogs, etc) to English?

Thanks
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Klonuo Umom | 6 Oct 13:06 2011
Picon

Re: How to change application language


Sorry I didn't mention my OS - Ubuntu 11.04 32bit

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Klonuo Umom <klonuo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Abiword and application language is set to my native language.
> None application so far did this and I want application language to be
> plain English.
> Even more if I do want to set other language, any application
> providing this feature would let me easily change this through common
> setting dialog.
>
> How do I change Abiword application language (menus, dialogs, etc) to English?
>
> Thanks
>
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Klonuo Umom | 6 Oct 13:29 2011
Picon

Re: How to change application language


OK I found way out.
No matter how is set LANG in ~/.profile language didn't change
I deleted `/usr/share/abiword-2.8/strings` folder and everything is fine now

Hope it helps someone

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Klonuo Umom <klonuo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry I didn't mention my OS - Ubuntu 11.04 32bit
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Klonuo Umom <klonuo <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Abiword and application language is set to my native language.
>> None application so far did this and I want application language to be
>> plain English.
>> Even more if I do want to set other language, any application
>> providing this feature would let me easily change this through common
>> setting dialog.
>>
>> How do I change Abiword application language (menus, dialogs, etc) to English?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.
(Continue reading)

Alberto Cabello Sánchez | 6 Oct 13:42 2011
Picon

Re: How to change application language


On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 01:29:49PM +0200, Klonuo Umom wrote:
> 
> OK I found way out.
> No matter how is set LANG in ~/.profile language didn't change
> I deleted `/usr/share/abiword-2.8/strings` folder and everything is fine now

That's weird, setting LANG=en_US or LANG=C works fine for me (abiword 2.6 on debian). 

--

-- 
-----------------------
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
alberto <at> unex.es
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Klonuo Umom | 6 Oct 18:00 2011
Picon

Re: How to change application language


I already replied but my mail did not go through - I guess because I
attached image which I now provide as link and CC mailing list

double-checked: http://i.imgur.com/uk71c.png

its same with LANG=C

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Alberto Cabello Sánchez <alberto <at> unex.es> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 01:29:49PM +0200, Klonuo Umom wrote:
>>
>> OK I found way out.
>> No matter how is set LANG in ~/.profile language didn't change
>> I deleted `/usr/share/abiword-2.8/strings` folder and everything is fine now
>
> That's weird, setting LANG=en_US or LANG=C works fine for me (abiword 2.6 on debian).
>
> --
> -----------------------
> Alberto Cabello Sánchez
> alberto <at> unex.es
> -----------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
> abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
> unsubscribe in the message body.
>
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
(Continue reading)

Benjamin Oppermann | 15 Oct 22:24 2011
Picon

Abiword prints weird jumble of letters


Hello,
Forgive me if I'm maybe submitting this question a second time, but I
may have sent it before my subscription was confirmed the first time,
and I haven't received an answer since, so I'm trying once more:

 Has anyone else been having problems printing documents from Abiword?
 I tried it the first time on Bodhi Linux: both the print preview and
 the actual printout are just a weird jumble of letters dispersed
 across the page, while in editing view everything looked completely
 normal. I saved the document to different locations and tried a few
 times until eventually I got a fine printout, but I can't reproduce
 what caused the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Benjamin Oppermann | 15 Oct 22:38 2011
Picon

Re: Abiword prints weird jumble of letters


2011/10/15 Benjamin Oppermann <bennsn <at> gmail.com>:
> I just found that my problem fits the desription of bug #11872:
> http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11872
>
> I get the same behavior with various other fonts, just Times New Roman sets
> and prints alright.
> Ben
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Roger | 16 Oct 00:23 2011
Picon

Re: Abiword prints weird jumble of letters


> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 10:38:18PM +0200, Benjamin Oppermann wrote:
>
>2011/10/15 Benjamin Oppermann <bennsn <at> gmail.com>:
>> I just found that my problem fits the desription of bug #11872:
>> http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11872
>>
>> I get the same behavior with various other fonts, just Times New Roman sets
>> and prints alright.
>> Ben

In the description of that bug:

Current: "when viewed in 'Print Preview' and when printed."

Should be: "when viewed in 'Print Preview' and then printed."

...switch 'when' for 'then'.

This sounds like a True Type Font issue.

Try using a font within the document that isn't True Type?

--

-- 
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/
-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.
(Continue reading)

Roger | 18 Oct 01:40 2011
Picon

(unknown)


> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 01:28:48PM +0200, Benjamin Oppermann wrote:
>> I'm not sure.  I've never had this problem.  What distribution are you using?
>> (As most font problems are distribution related from my experience.)  Haven't
>> seen anybody else follow-up on this either.  Have you tried your distributions
>> mailing list (or support channel) as this seems more font related then Abiword
>> at this point?
>>
>> --
>> Roger
>> http://rogerx.freeshell.org/
>>
>
>
>Can't say yet we have assured it's font related, I guess?
>Like I said, I run Bodhi Linux 1.2, which is Ubuntu based, with
>3.0.0-9 Linux kernel.
>Unfortunately, no one over there (their forums and IRC channel) seems
>to know either.

I would keep pandering the Bodhi packagers as nobody at the Abiword end here is 
responding.  You can also try uninstalling (all) fonts and reinstalling 
specific fonts to try finding the problem.  I use bitstream fonts here.

media-fonts/font-bitstream-100dpi
media-fonts/font-bitstream-type1

>Do different versions of Abiword come with different fonts?
>Thanks again, Ben

(Continue reading)

J.M. Maurer | 18 Oct 14:34 2011
Picon

Re: Abiword prints weird jumble of letters


> Not that I'm aware of.  Abiword seems to use Xorg related fonts.

We use any scaleable font that fontconfig can find, and pango supports.

> Also, I see you didn't mention your Abiword version either?
> 
> I can recall, I've seen this once before years ago, but so long ago I forget 
> the solution and vaguely recall it was a font distribution related problem or 
> upgrade that fixed it.  Try googling something with "abiword font corruption" 
> or just "font corruption" and maybe some keywords.

The only bug related to this that I can remember, is when AbiWord tried
to load non-scaleable fonts, and tried to use them as being scaleable.
But that was years ago, and we don't load those anymore.
Furthermore they resulted in garbage on screen as well, not just in the
printed output.

  Marc

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.


Gmane