Lorraine Allen | 4 Oct 06:17 2006
Picon
Picon

Editing Problem


Dear AbiWord Help,
     I'm kind of new to AbiWord.  I downloaded it some months ago and it was 
working fine.  But one day I started having a problem where when I would 
copy my daily devotional from a web site, and  tried to fix it the way I 
wanted it (as I usually would),  that every time I would go to delete a few 
letters from something, the whole word or phrase would move to the left, and 
I couldn't type in the correct letter in its place.  Also, if there's part 
of a sentence I want to "cut", I "select it," then "cut", but then the 
sentence jumps to the left.  I try to move it over to where I want it, with 
the space bar, but every time I click the space bar, it deletes a letter of 
the phrase, instead of moving it over.
     Also, I can't get the cursor to blink out in the middle of the page, 
when I want to type something about the devotional.
     I reloaded AbiWord thinking it might help, but I still have the same 
problems.
     I've never had Micosoft Word, and I'm still kind of computer 
illiterate.
     I couldn't find anything in the "Help" section.
                       Could you help me?

                  Thank You,

                  Lorraine

Jesus Loves YOU!! 

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
(Continue reading)

Ryan Pavlik | 4 Oct 06:29 2006
Picon

Re: Editing Problem


It sounds like you might have overwrite mode turned on.  If you see a 
red blinking line where you type, instead of a black one (and it says 
"OVR" in the lower-right corner of your screen rather than "INS"), press 
the Insert key on your keyboard to return to the regular ("Insert") mode.

Hope this helps!  Thanks for using AbiWord!

Ryan

Lorraine Allen wrote:
>
>
> Dear AbiWord Help,
>     I'm kind of new to AbiWord.  I downloaded it some months ago and 
> it was working fine.  But one day I started having a problem where 
> when I would copy my daily devotional from a web site, and  tried to 
> fix it the way I wanted it (as I usually would),  that every time I 
> would go to delete a few letters from something, the whole word or 
> phrase would move to the left, and I couldn't type in the correct 
> letter in its place.  Also, if there's part of a sentence I want to 
> "cut", I "select it," then "cut", but then the sentence jumps to the 
> left.  I try to move it over to where I want it, with the space bar, 
> but every time I click the space bar, it deletes a letter of the 
> phrase, instead of moving it over.
>     Also, I can't get the cursor to blink out in the middle of the 
> page, when I want to type something about the devotional.
>     I reloaded AbiWord thinking it might help, but I still have the 
> same problems.
>     I've never had Micosoft Word, and I'm still kind of computer 
(Continue reading)

mike padmore | 10 Oct 19:15 2006
Picon

.wpd files


I have just installed Abiword and am trying to open some old Word Perfect 
.wpd files. Either Abiwrite opens them in a scrambled fashion or it crashes 
(I think if the files are beyond a certain size, because it's the larger 
files that causes it to crash).

I have installed the British dictionary, but no plug ins as yet. Can you 
offer any help, as I am under the impression that Abiword should cope with 
.wpd files.

Mike 

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

sum1_lists@yahoo.com | 10 Oct 19:33 2006
Picon

Re: .wpd files


--- mike padmore <mike_padmore <at> zen.co.uk> wrote:

> 
> I have just installed Abiword and am trying to open some old Word
> Perfect 
> .wpd files. Either Abiwrite opens them in a scrambled fashion or it
> crashes 
> (I think if the files are beyond a certain size, because it's the
> larger 
> files that causes it to crash).
> 
> I have installed the British dictionary, but no plug ins as yet. Can
> you 
> offer any help, as I am under the impression that Abiword should cope
> with 
> .wpd files.
> 
> Mike 

You need to install the WordPerfect plug-in (it's a part of the
import/export package:
http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.4.5/Windows/abiword-plugins-impexp-2.4.5.exe).
 When you install it, make sure to select the OpenWriter and/or
OpenDocument plug-in(s), as well, to prevent a crash on load caused by
Bug 7057 (http://bugzilla.abisource.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7057).

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
(Continue reading)

Jimmy | 10 Oct 19:38 2006
Picon

Bullets


Operating Systems:

Windows XP SP2

Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS

AbiWord Versions:

AbiWordPortable 2.4.5

AbiWord 2.4.5

Downloaded:

AbiWordPortable 2.4.5 portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable

AbiWord 2.4.5 abisource.com/download/


Hello,
I would really, really enjoy using AbiWord for work, school and home.   
However, I do like to use different types of bullets, especially for  
creating instructions for work.  I understand that there are a limited  
amount of bullets listed in AbiWord, but I would like to have more.  How  
would I go about adding more bullets to AbiWord? Would I use one of the  
plugins? Is it possible at all?

I?ve searched around the AbiWord web site and on the Internet for answers,  
to no avail.
(Continue reading)

sum1_lists@yahoo.com | 10 Oct 19:57 2006
Picon

Re: Bullets


--- Jimmy <harris.jimmy <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> 
> Operating Systems:
> 
> Windows XP SP2
> 
> Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS
> 
> 
> AbiWord Versions:
> 
> AbiWordPortable 2.4.5
> 
> AbiWord 2.4.5
> 
> 
> Downloaded:
> 
> AbiWordPortable 2.4.5 portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable
> 
> AbiWord 2.4.5 abisource.com/download/
> 
> 
> Hello,
> I would really, really enjoy using AbiWord for work, school and home.
>   
> However, I do like to use different types of bullets, especially for 
> 
(Continue reading)

internet matters | 17 Oct 16:46 2006
Picon

Server side abiword


HI
I am trying to find a sever side word processor so that my brother  
and I can jointly work on a project. As I am a silver surfer with no  
coding skills what so ever I need it to be pretty much off the shelf.  
Can Abiword be used in this way and on what platforms.

Alan Wallace

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Drummond Blakely | 17 Oct 20:24 2006

Problem with dictionary.


Hello.
Here are some details:
-I'm using AbiWord 2.4.
-I got it from a CD in a magazine; but I had the same problem when I tried 
downloading it from the AbiWord site.
-I use Windows XP Home Edition.

Many thanks for this word processor. I really enjoy using it. Thanks, too, 
for helping me to subscribe to this service.

I seem unable to download the dictionary, either US or UK English. I get an 
error message everytime.

It's not crucial. I have other dictionaries. But it would be nice to get rid 
of the message that appears every time I open an AbiWord document.

Thanks.
Regards
Drummond Blakely. 

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.

Alan Horkan | 18 Oct 19:13 2006
Picon
Picon

Re: Problem with dictionary.


On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Drummond Blakely wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:24:46 +0100
> From: Drummond Blakely <axyc63 <at> dsl.pipex.com>
> To: abiword-user <at> abisource.com
> Subject: Problem with dictionary.
>
>
> Hello.
> Here are some details:
> -I'm using AbiWord 2.4.

> -I got it from a CD in a magazine;

Cool, which magazine?

> Many thanks for this word processor. I really enjoy using it. Thanks, too,
> for helping me to subscribe to this service.

Thanks for using Abiword, tell your friends.   ;)

> I seem unable to download the dictionary, either US or UK English. I get an
> error message everytime.
>
> It's not crucial. I have other dictionaries. But it would be nice to get rid
> of the message that appears every time I open an AbiWord document.

Yeah, that warning is fairly annoying, I usually turn off automatic
spellchecking and eventually get around to fix it much later.
(Continue reading)

J.M. Maurer | 18 Oct 16:09 2006
Picon

Re: idea for the Insert/Overwrite problem


On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 09:42 +0200, Robert Staudinger wrote:
> On 9/5/06, Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Any proposed change (even something as "benign" as a dialog box
> > preference or having to press the key twice) breaks with how the INS
> > key works in all other apps and all other OSes.
> 
> FYI, this is how new Microsoft Word is said to handle it:
> http://miksovsky.blogs.com/flowstate/2006/07/insert_key_safe.html
> 
> (Don't really care myself, so please don't read it as me taking side
> in the discussion)

If we had something like the about:config option (ie, a tree of all
options, also the ones that currently can only be set in the
abiword.profile), this might not be a bad idea.

Marc

-----------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
abiword-user-request <at> abisource.com with the word
unsubscribe in the message body.


Gmane