Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 2 Jan 08:57 2011
Face
Picon

Re: Finding lists - search.php vs. find.php

asjo <at> koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

> Oughtn't news.gmane.org (and dir.gmane.org / Reading) point to find.php?
> It seems to be slightly more "what people expect" than search.php.

I don't know...  the news.gmane.org search thing only does searches on
group names, while the other one searches in the gmane.conf file for
mailing list addresses...

--

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  larsi <at> gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 2 Jan 08:58 2011
Face
Picon

Re: time zone?

Maxim Yanchenko <maximyanchenko <at> yandex.ru> writes:

> I see all dates/times are shifted by one hour from GMT.

Also called "CET".

--

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  larsi <at> gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Adam Sjøgren | 2 Jan 17:20 2011
X-Face
Picon

Re: Finding lists - search.php vs. find.php

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 08:57:53 +0100, Lars wrote:

> I don't know...  the news.gmane.org search thing only does searches on
> group names, while the other one searches in the gmane.conf file for
> mailing list addresses...

Ah, I didn't notice that that was the difference. Thanks!

Maybe they all could search in group name+mailing list
address+description? But that's another discussion :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

-- 
 "Accept the mystery!"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo <at> koldfront.dk
Maxim Yanchenko | 5 Jan 12:24 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

> > I see all dates/times are shifted by one hour from GMT.
> 
> Also called "CET".
> 

So? Is it by design? Is it unavoidable? Is it guaranteed to always by this
shift? Or there is a way to specify user's timezone?
Steinar Bang | 5 Jan 12:43 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: time zone?

>>>>> Maxim Yanchenko <maximyanchenko <at> yandex.ru>:

> So? Is it by design?

Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.
Maxim Yanchenko | 6 Jan 05:36 2011
Picon

Re: time zone?

Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:
> 
> > So? Is it by design?
> 
> Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.
> 

Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very inconvenient to a
user who lives in a completely different timezone, like me living in Japan.

Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server could make
timestamps according to it?

Of course, I could make a GreaseMonkey script to adjust time/date inside my
browser, but the problem is that the date in the list doesn't contain year, thus
making the conversion unreliable (date conversion depends on year as daylight
saving adjustments happen on different dates).

It's way easier for the server to do this conversion.
Just a humble feature request for overall great site.

Thanks,
Maxim
Duncan | 6 Jan 09:26 2011
Picon
Picon

Re: time zone?

Maxim Yanchenko posted on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 04:36:10 +0000 as excerpted:

> Steinar Bang <sb <at> dod.no> writes:
>> 
>> > So? Is it by design?
>> 
>> Well... it's the server's time zone, which is the usual practice.
>> 
>> 
> Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very
> inconvenient to a user who lives in a completely different timezone,
> like me living in Japan.
> 
> Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
> could make timestamps according to it?
> 
> Of course, I could make a GreaseMonkey script to adjust time/date inside
> my browser, but the problem is that the date in the list doesn't contain
> year, thus making the conversion unreliable (date conversion depends on
> year as daylight saving adjustments happen on different dates).
> 
> It's way easier for the server to do this conversion.
> Just a humble feature request for overall great site.

I believe users who care /that/ much about the time posted are supposed to 
use the nntp interface with their preferred nntp client.  Sane nntp 
clients will do that conversion automatically based on the system timezone 
settings and/or have a setting that controls it.  The web archive version 
is a convenient way to point readers that might not have a news client to 
a port or thread (particularly when there's a link available in the news 
(Continue reading)

Adam Sjøgren | 6 Jan 09:56 2011
X-Face
Picon

Re: time zone?

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 04:36:10 +0000 (UTC), Maxim wrote:

> Even if it's usual practice I don't know of, it's still very
> inconvenient to a user who lives in a completely different timezone,
> like me living in Japan.

> Why not having a simple cookie with the user time zone, so the server
> could make timestamps according to it?

Why not use nntp to read the articles on gmane, as God intended?

  :-),

   Adam

--

-- 
 "Accept the mystery!"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo <at> koldfront.dk
Simon Josefsson | 7 Jan 19:31 2011

gmane.ietf.http-auth

Hi!  This list was hosted at osafoundation.org but has moved to
ietf.org:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/http-auth

The old list has no posts since December 2009 except for one spurious
post this year...  It would be nice to import the mailing list archive
on ietf.org to the newsgroup too, otherwise there will be a gap.

/Simon
Wolfgang Schnerring | 9 Jan 12:20 2011
Picon

Re: gmane.ietf.http-auth

Hello,

* Simon Josefsson <simon <at> josefsson.org> [2011-01-07 19:31]:
> Hi!  This list was hosted at osafoundation.org but has moved to
> ietf.org:
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/http-auth

Updated, thanks! (It will take a while for the updated information to be visible
on the web interface.)

> The old list has no posts since December 2009 except for one spurious
> post this year...  It would be nice to import the mailing list archive
> on ietf.org to the newsgroup too, otherwise there will be a gap.

Lars, could you do the import?

Wolfgang

--

-- 
Gmane -- Mail To News And Back Again: http://gmane.org

Gmane