Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 1 Aug 21:57 2004
Face
Picon

TMDA service has been switched off for the time being

The Irish mad spammer has really been pounding on the TMDA service
this weekend, too (20K messages over the last few hours), so I've
finally just switched it off.

(TMDA was just dropping the messages, since they all came from the
same From address, but the way I've set it up (with clamav before
TMDA) meant that the load on that mail server was a constant 6, and
legitimate stuff was being held for hours...)

So I'm going to have to rejuggle the sequence stuff is being called.
Or something.  Or just blackhole Ireland.

--

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  larsi <at> gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Bernhard Kleine | 2 Aug 16:27 2004
Picon

gmane.linux.debian.user.german

Hi,

I have problems to update the above list. I am using PAN under Gnome 2.6.
The last post I can view is from Tue,27 Jul 2004. the total of messages is
42852. If I refressh the article count I get 53340 Unread of 96192 total
messages. New headers can not be downloaded. Can anybody confirm this
or make the list administrator aware of this problem. I could not find any
entry where to comment e.g. list problems.

Thanks a lot

Bernhard
Reiner Steib | 2 Aug 17:30 2004
X-Face
Picon

Re: gmane.linux.debian.user.german

On Mon, Aug 02 2004, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

> I have problems to update the above list. I am using PAN under Gnome
> 2.6.  The last post I can view is from Tue,27 Jul 2004. [...]  Can
> anybody confirm this or make the list administrator aware of this
> problem. I could not find any entry where to comment e.g. list
> problems.

Gmane's web frontend shows new messages
<URL:http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.german> and I can
see new articles in Gnus.  Thus it is most probably a promble with
your newsreader.

Bye, Reiner.
--

-- 
       ,,,
      (o o)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo--- PGP key available via WWW   http://rsteib.home.pages.de/
Marcus Frings | 2 Aug 18:03 2004
Face

Re: gmane.linux.debian.user.german

* Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s <at> nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02 2004, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

>> I have problems to update the above list. I am using PAN under Gnome
>> 2.6.  The last post I can view is from Tue,27 Jul 2004. [...]  Can
>> anybody confirm this or make the list administrator aware of this
>> problem. I could not find any entry where to comment e.g. list
>> problems.

> Gmane's web frontend shows new messages
> <URL:http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.german> and I can
> see new articles in Gnus.  Thus it is most probably a promble with
> your newsreader.

I can second this. g.l.d.u.g. is working fine here.

Regards,
Marcus
--

-- 
"Fight fight fight, just push it away, fight fight fight, just push it
until it breaks, fight fight fight, don't cry at the pain, fight fight
fight, or watch yourself burn again, fight fight fight, don't howl like
a dog and never never never stop."
Sebastian Niehaus | 4 Aug 12:07 2004
Picon

Re: First spammer who (probably) grabs the articles

Frank Ellermann <nobody <at> xyzzy.claranet.de> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> 
> > the Gmane TMDA service is being hammered.
> 
> You probably get some SPF FAIL results for addresses used by:

Speaking about SPF: I am not sure if SPF is something that should be
deployed widely:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/smtp-spf-is-harmful.html

Sebastian
Frank Ellermann | 4 Aug 18:09 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: First spammer who (probably) grabs the articles

Sebastian Niehaus wrote:

> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/smtp-spf-is-harmful.html

That's a nonsense article.  Probably Mr. deBoynePollard gets
less than 1000 useless bounces per day where spammers forged
addresses in his domain.  Or he has a serious technical problem
with TXT records in his DNS servers for OS/2.

I've already got this link from completely clueless postmasters
bouncing identified (sic!) spam to the MAIL FROM.  They freely
waste my time, my disk space, and my bandwidth, but as soon as
they hear about SPF they start to discuss milliseconds and DNS
traffic caused by SPF.
                         Bye, Frank
Jon Ericson | 7 Aug 22:56 2004
X-Face
Picon
Picon

Correcting spam filling mistakes

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 seems legitimate,
but is (permanently?) marked as spam.
http://unspam.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 says, " The article
has already been handled by the Gmane admins."  How does one correct
this sort of error?

Thanks,
Jon
Steinar Bang | 8 Aug 09:20 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: Correcting spam filling mistakes

>>>>> Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson <at> jpl.nasa.gov>:

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 seems legitimate,
> but is (permanently?) marked as spam.
> http://unspam.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 says, " The article
> has already been handled by the Gmane admins."  How does one correct
> this sort of error?

There should be a mechanism for this.  I know that I have wrongly
approved articles (it's easy to do, when getting into a rythm on a
long queue of similar spam).
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen | 8 Aug 21:23 2004
Face
Picon

Re: Correcting spam filling mistakes

Jon Ericson <Jon.Ericson <at> jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 seems legitimate,
> but is (permanently?) marked as spam.
> http://unspam.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user:1514 says, " The article
> has already been handled by the Gmane admins."  How does one correct
> this sort of error?

I haven't made any interface to undo stuff like this.

But in this instance, the article has been reported as unspam, and
that's what's been handled.

--

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  larsi <at> gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Nicolas Bareil | 10 Aug 12:06 2004

bad spam reports from *.perm.iinet.net.au


Since few weeks, a person is marking spam legitimate mails. Today, there
were more than 25 false-spams waiting for approval. 

This person comes from *.perm.iinet.net.au, perhaps he's using a home
newserver and marks spams with Gnus (in this case, you should set
spam-report-gmane-use-article-number to nil). 

--

-- 
BOFH excuse #70:

nesting roaches shorted out the ether cable

Gmane