Famous Recipes - Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 medium red bell peppers, halved and de-seeded
- 2 oz (55 g) turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 6 oz (170 g) white button mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on their size
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 to 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) homemade or store-bought marinara sauce (I like Newman’s Own)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds (optional; see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional; see Note)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional; see Note)
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 12 slices
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish.
- Put the red bell pepper halves (cut side up) into the casserole dish and roast for 20 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to pick up each piece and drain off any water inside. Return the pepper halves to the dish (cut side up) and set aside for now.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Once hot, add the pepperoni and cook until starting to crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pepperoni to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to same skillet and cook until starting to brown, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mushrooms and zucchini to a bowl.
- If the pan looks dry, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the ground chicken, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the veggies are softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the zucchini and mushroom mixture, marinara sauce, Italian herb seasoning, salt, black pepper, anise seeds, fennel seeds, and nutmeg. Bring up to a boil and cook until thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture into the red bell pepper halves.
- Top each red bell pepper half with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and bake at 375F until the cheese is melted and they’re warm throughout, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.