William Xuuu | 1 Jan 14:08 2005

sawfish crashed

Hi,  i recently installed debian on my ibook(G4,1G,12"), and i'd love to
use sawfish as my wm. The problem is kind of strange. Sawfish can start
normally, but after the initial start, if i try to execute some 
applications,
like open a shell, or firefox, whatever, do some typing,  then, suddenly 
the
whole system doesn't respose any key events or mouse events any more.
I can't  even switch bach to console by  Fn-C-Option-F[x],  i've to press
C-Apple-Power to reboot the system. What's the problem? Currently, i'm 
using
FVWM, which works quite well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

William Xuuu

Perceived Software Quality Survey (PESQUS) for GNOME

Dear GNOME Users and Developers:

We are conducting empirical research on the quality and interface aspects
of various open-source and proprietary software. Therefore, we are
investigating the quality of the GNOME desktop software as perceived by
its users. For this purpose, we have created a short survey.  We would
highly appreciate it if you could follow the link below and fill out this
survey:

http://www.umbc.edu/hase/gnome-pesqus-survey.html

The developers who use GNOME during their daily computer operations can
respond too.

Many thanks for your help. Apologies if you received more than one copy.

HASE
HUMAN ASPECTS of SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT, UMBC
hase <at> umbc.edu

All HASE surveys are reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review
Board of UMBC.

Maurice | 17 Jan 14:42 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: sawfish crashed

William Xuuu <william_xuuu <at> 163.com> wrote:
> Sawfish can start normally, but after the initial start, if i try to
> execute some applications, like open a shell, or firefox, whatever,
> do some typing,  then, suddenly the whole system doesn't respose any
> key events or mouse events any more.

How do you open the programs? Maybe you use system without the
trailing '&'?
Instead of having (system "xterm") in your .sawfishrc it must be
(system "xterm &"). This has locked my machine quite often ;-)

William Xuuu | 18 Jan 08:31 2005

Re: sawfish crashed

sawfish-list-request <at> gnome.org writes:

> Maurice <mauricex <at> gmx.net> wrote:
>
> How do you open the programs? Maybe you use system without the
> trailing '&'?
> Instead of having (system "xterm") in your .sawfishrc it must be
> (system "xterm &"). This has locked my machine quite often ;-)

thanks for your replay, which makes me try "exec sawfish" again after
living with FVWM for long. Haha, this time it works well! though i didn't
do any modifications to my ~/.sawfishrc. Now, i got it, it must be a bug in
the debian's distribution. I've upgraded sawfish several times. So this
time it works. ;)

--

-- 
William

Christian Marillat | 18 Jan 09:14 2005
X-Face
Picon

Re: sawfish crashed

William Xuuu <william_xuuu <at> 163.com> writes:

[...]

> thanks for your replay, which makes me try "exec sawfish" again after
> living with FVWM for long. Haha, this time it works well! though i didn't
> do any modifications to my ~/.sawfishrc. Now, i got it, it must be a bug in
> the debian's distribution. I've upgraded sawfish several times. So this

As I'm the Debian maintainer for sawfish I really want to know where is
this bug ?

FYI the Debian package does nothing to start sawfish.

Christian

William Xuuu | 18 Jan 14:28 2005

Re: sawfish crashed

Christian Marillat <marillat <at> free.fr> writes:

> As I'm the Debian maintainer for sawfish I really want to know where is
> this bug ?
>
> FYI the Debian package does nothing to start sawfish.

Well, i'll tell you the whole. I installed debian on my newly bought
ibook(G4, 1G, 256MB, 12") on Dec 20, 2004 or so, then apt-get install
sawfish and FVWM. I tried startx with sawfish first, okay, sawfish could
start up normally. Then i tried to execute some applications, like opening
a shell or firefox, whatever, then did some typings, suddenly the whole
system was dead. It wouldn't response to any key events or mouse events! i
couldn't switch back to any consoles. The only thing i could do was press
ctrl + cmd + power to reboot the system forcedly. I tried it several times
which made me reboot the system forcedly serveral times. Struggling for
some time, still didn't work it out, i posted a post here on Jan 1, as you
can see. And, i tried startx with FVWM this time, it works just fine. As
sawfish was unusable, i was living with FVWM soley during the passed times,
almost completely forgetting sawfish.

I always do `apt-get upgrade' to upgrade softwares, and i noticed that
there's been updates for sawfish. On Jan 17, Maurice replied my post, which
made me give sawfish one more try, with same ~/.sawfishrc. This time it
works fine! How to explain this? ;) Maybe some bug in my first installed
sawfish, and which is fixed later, is just my guess.

The problem's become a history, we can just ignore them safely ;) thanks
for your work.

(Continue reading)

Christian Marillat | 18 Jan 21:13 2005
X-Face
Picon

Re: sawfish crashed

William Xuuu <william_xuuu <at> 163.com> writes:

> Christian Marillat <marillat <at> free.fr> writes:
>
>> As I'm the Debian maintainer for sawfish I really want to know where is
>> this bug ?
>>
>> FYI the Debian package does nothing to start sawfish.
>
> Well, i'll tell you the whole. I installed debian on my newly bought
> ibook(G4, 1G, 256MB, 12") on Dec 20, 2004 or so, then apt-get install

Argh ppc, may be this explain why I've never seen this feature.

Christian

William Xuuu | 20 Jan 07:31 2005

sticky window and uniconify all windows ?

Hi,

I have two questions.

1.By the following, i can press Alt and left mouse key together to move a
  window, but i have to hold the keys still until i drop the window
  somewhere. How can i do this(as in FVWM: `Mouse 1 A M Move' would do):
  press Alt and left mouse key together to select a window, and release
  both keys, now the window is sticky with mouse point, that way i can move
  it very conveniently.

(bind-keys window-keymap "M-Button1-Click" 'move-window-interactively)

2.`iconify-workspace-windows' can iconify all windows in current workspace,
  are there any corresponding functions that would uniconify all windows in
  current workspace ?

thanks in advance.

--
William

Ewan Mellor | 23 Jan 14:28 2005
Picon

Re: sticky window and uniconify all windows ?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:31:36PM +0800, William Xuuu wrote:

> 2.`iconify-workspace-windows' can iconify all windows in current workspace,
>   are there any corresponding functions that would uniconify all windows in
>   current workspace ?

How about

(define uniconify-workspace-windows
  (mapc (lambda (w) (when (member current-workspace (window-workspaces w))
                      (uniconify-window w)))
    (managed-windows))
  )

Ewan.


Gmane