Tuomo Valkonen | 1 Jun 16:53 2004
Picon
Picon

ion-2-20040601


This is a minor bugfix release.

New ChangeLog entries:

2004-06-01:

  * Changed default install program to install-sh.

2004-05-22:

  * Removed 'exec' from /bin/sh call to execute command so that more
    complex commands can be entered.

2004-05-18:

  * Merged dock kde systray support patch.
  * Fixed couple XFree calls in dock module.

2004-05-09:

  * WM_COLORMAP_WINDOWS handling fixes. (Does something still use
    this/bother supporting indexed colour models at all?)

2004-05-03:

  * Fixed stippled tab font when -i18n was not set.

2004-04-28:

(Continue reading)

Tuomo Valkonen | 4 Jun 11:04 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: Ion3 wishlist

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:05:10AM +0200, Karl Hasselström wrote:
> On 2004-05-14 01:20:58 +0300, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> > The goal of Ion is to boldly go where no window manager has gone
> > before :). The number of users is secondary to that. How many are
> > there anyway?
> Do you know how many people are subscribed to this mailing list?
> That'll probably be a lower bound that's not too pessimistic.

I put a (quick&dirty) counter on the Ion web page a few hours after the
release of ion-2-20040601. The count now after about two and a half
days is about 1300. Subtracting the little over 200 hits through 
freshmeat <http://freshmeat.net/project-stats/view/4502/> that can
be due to random surfers, taking into account the simple counter with
a race condition the fact that the counter wasn't put there immediately
after the release, that there surely are lots of users that are not yet
aware of the release, some of which rather apt-get install ion2 (part of
which visit the web page nevertheless and part who don't), and people
otherwise discovering Ion now, I would (waving hands a good deal here) 
say it is safe to assume that there are at least a 1000 users.

--

-- 
Tuomo

Mike | 4 Jun 17:35 2004
Picon

Ion user count (was: Ion3 wishlist)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:04:57 +0300, Tuomo Valkonen wrote
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:05:10AM +0200, Karl Hasselstr&#1046;m wrote:
> > On 2004-05-14 01:20:58 +0300, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> > > The goal of Ion is to boldly go where no window manager has gone
> > > before :). The number of users is secondary to that. How many are
> > > there anyway?
> > Do you know how many people are subscribed to this mailing list?
> > That'll probably be a lower bound that's not too pessimistic.
> 
> I put a (quick&dirty) counter on the Ion web page a few hours after the
> release of ion-2-20040601. The count now after about two and a half
> days is about 1300. Subtracting the little over 200 hits through 
> freshmeat <http://freshmeat.net/project-stats/view/4502/> that can
> be due to random surfers, taking into account the simple counter with
> a race condition the fact that the counter wasn't put there immediately
> after the release, that there surely are lots of users that are not yet
> aware of the release, some of which rather apt-get install ion2 
> (part of which visit the web page nevertheless and part who don't),
>  and people otherwise discovering Ion now, I would (waving hands a 
> good deal here) say it is safe to assume that there are at least a 
> 1000 users.
FYI,
  There is certainly many more than 1000 users based on your statistics...
I use Ion on multiple machines, the guy who got me to use Ion a while ago
uses it, and my boss who I've converted uses it - and none of us have
updated/have gone to the web page in a while...  I doubt we are an isolated
case...  Oh, I should also mention my grandmother uses Ion (tabs are a lot
easier to explain than moving around windows), and I can guarantee to you,
she has neither updated to a newer version nor gone to the page. ;)
  - Mike
(Continue reading)

Tuomo Valkonen | 4 Jun 17:52 2004
Picon
Picon

WebSVN view of the repository


The Ion Subversion repository can now be browsed through WebSVN at
<http://tao.uab.es/svn/listing.php?rep=0&path=/&sc=1>. ViewCVS (which
was partly broken) is no longer available.

--

-- 
Tuomo

Anthony Ginepro | 4 Jun 18:23 2004
Picon

Re: Ion user count (was: Ion3 wishlist)

On 06/04/04 10:35, Mike wrote:
> P.S. is anyone working on a /usr/ports/x11-wm/ion2 ?  /ion3?

Sure, it got integrated the 30th of May, and 20040601 the next day.

I've currently got no plan of having ion3 ported as it's a development only 
version.  IMHO, it's better that people know what they are doing and use SVN
themselves rather than rely on a port.

However you're free or other people to work on a port.

Anthony.

Martin Stubenschrott | 6 Jun 00:34 2004
Picon
Picon

Wildcards in kludges

Hi,

I have a program (Kopete) which numbers its chatwindows like this:
KopeteChatWindow
KopeteChatWindow1
KopeteChatWindow2
KopeteChatWindow3
...

so I tried in the kludges.lua file to add a property with:
role="KopeteChatWindow*", but it didn't work at all.

Since not all kopete windows should go in this frame, I had to copy the kludge 
10 times which should caputure most chat windows.

This is hardly any work due to vim's great macro system,but is there an easier 
way to add wildcards to kludges?

best regards,

Martin

Martin Stubenschrott | 6 Jun 01:01 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: Wildcards in kludges

On Sunday 06 June 2004 00:34, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> I have a program (Kopete) which numbers its chatwindows like this:
with 'numbers' I mean, that it sets the window role in 'xprop' to these 
values.

--
Martin

Giles Constant | 8 Jun 11:51 2004
Picon

Different window movement

Hiya,

When you've got a big 1600x1000 screen, with *lots* of splits and stuff, 
navigation can get a bit confusing - you go "up" from one split to a 
different area of the screen, and the highlighted window ends up being the 
last window highlighted in that split, rather than the window directly above.  
This is a bit confusing when it happens to be on the other side of the 
screen, or even hidden under a dock.  I end up going around in circles trying 
to work out the correct path to the window I'm trying to select.

Maybe it would be better for navigation to work whereby moving to the frame 
"upwards" would switch to the frame directly above the middle of the 
currently selected frame?

I can't think of a case where this would make a small frame totally 
unselectable (and I can't be bothered attempting a mathematical proof :-)), 
but even if this occurs, we still do have the good old mouse to get out of 
that situation.

Any thoughts?

--

-- 

Tuomo Valkonen | 8 Jun 12:56 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: Ion user count (was: Ion3 wishlist)

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:35:54AM -0500, Mike wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:04:57 +0300, Tuomo Valkonen wrote
> > I put a (quick&dirty) counter on the Ion web page a few hours after the
> > release of ion-2-20040601. The count now after about two and a half
> > days is about 1300. 
> There is certainly many more than 1000 users based on your statistics...

Now, almost a week, there's about 3000 hits. Many of those can already
be accounted to people looking for documentation etc., but I'm raising 
my user count to at least 2000 :).

--

-- 
Tuomo

Tuomo Valkonen | 8 Jun 13:04 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: Different window movement

Read my reply at <http://iki.fi/tuomov/movement.txt>. The mailing list
server seems to be rejecting it without any notice. I have tried sending
it three times the last one with the ASCII graphics removed and sent 
another message in between that went straight through.

--

-- 
Tuomo


Gmane