Tom Payne | 2 Dec 14:19 2003
Picon

dock and gentoo

Hi Folks, 

I've been away for the last two weeks. Back now. Will release a updated/bug 
fixed version of the dock module and gentoo ebuilds for ion in the next day 
or two. 

Regards, 

Tom 

Moe Wibble | 2 Dec 19:19 2003
Picon

Re: Using wrappers to switch between parent frames

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:46:23AM +0100, Thorben Thuermer wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:50:54 +0000
> Hussein Jodiyawalla <hussein <at> mightymouse.net> wrote:
> 
> > I think I have made a mistake trying to explain what I want to do... I 
> > think I should have said I want to switch between WIonWS's instead of 
> > mentioning frames... maybe I could explain a bit better with an ACSII 
> > diagram from my workspaces file:
> > 
> > 
> >            WScreen
> >               |
> >             WIonWS (WIWS)
> >             /    \
> >    WIonFrame      WIonFrame (WIF)
> >        |        / / / | \ \ \
> >    (gkrellm)   / | |  |  | | \
> ...
> >          /    /   |   |   |    \   \
> >   -->WIWS WIWS  WIWS WIWS WIWS WIWS WIWS <--
> >      /   / | \     \  |    | \    \   \
> >   WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF WIF
> > 
> > 
> > I load applications in the bottom most WIonFrames, the gkrellm WIonFrame 
> > on the left has my status bar in it.  I would like to bind some keys to 
> > switch between the WIonWS's in between the --> <-- markings.
> > 
> 
> my setup is quite similar to yours, just that i have a FloatWS in the right
(Continue reading)

Thorben Thuermer | 2 Dec 20:14 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: Using wrappers to switch between parent frames

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:19:39 +0100
Moe Wibble <eskimoe <at> ananzi.co.za> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:46:23AM +0100, Thorben Thuermer wrote:
> > my setup is quite similar to yours, just that i have a FloatWS in the right
> > frame, and a ionws in a ("fullscreen") floatframe inside it
> > ( http://irc.wearlab.de/~r00t/ion-floats.jpg )
> 
> How did you open these floating windows on top of the regular
> ion banana split?  I've been trying to achieve that for quite some time but
> failed due to the total lack of documentation. :-(
> 
> Or ist that screenshot just showing a maximized window containing tabs on a
> FloatWS?

like i wrote:
"just that i have a FloatWS in the right frame, and a ionws in a ("fullscreen")
 floatframe inside it"

so yes, it is a "maximized" windows containing my other workspaces.
i don't think there's another way to do it.
the only thing that could improve it would be explict "fullscreen" support
in floatws.

to me the possibility of having floating windows on top of my ionws desktop
is a practical and necessary compromise between ion's and the traditional
managing models (like in the example, for a video player).

a note if you're trying to re-create the setup: you need quite some
creativity to open a window in the floatws if you don't have one already
(because if the focus is in a frame of a ionws, all new windows will open
(Continue reading)

Jordan Sissel | 2 Dec 20:21 2003
Picon

Re: Using wrappers to switch between parent frames

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:46:23AM +0100, Thorben Thuermer wrote:
> 
> How did you open these floating windows on top of the regular
> ion banana split?  I've been trying to achieve that for quite some time but
> failed due to the total lack of documentation. :-(
> 
> Or ist that screenshot just showing a maximized window containing tabs on a
> FloatWS?
> 
> m
> 

in ioncore-bindings.lua you'll see (or should)

scr:attach_new([ type=default_ws_type, switchto=true ])

If you grep for 'default_ws_type' you'll find (in ioncorelib.lua):
default_ws_type="WIonWS"

You can make a new keybinding that uses type="WFloatWS" in the
scr:attach_new() function instead and it will let you attach a new
floating workspace inside any frame (including a WIonFrame).

This feature of ion-devel is more implied than explicitly documented,
and took me a while scouring through the default config files to
figure it out. Anyhoo, Hope this helps :)

-Jordan

(Continue reading)

Niclas Olofsson | 2 Dec 21:35 2003

startup-errors

Howdy,

Running latest dev-release. Not using the lua patch recommended, but 
everything else seem to work ok. Getting this error on startup.

Ion startup error log:
 >> bad code in /home/non/tmp/ion-devel-new/share/ion-devel/querylib.lc
 >> Falling back to /home/non/tmp/ion-devel-new/share/ion-devel/querylib.lua

??

Cheers,
/Niclas

Tuomo Valkonen | 2 Dec 22:09 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: startup-errors

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:35:41PM +0100, Niclas Olofsson wrote:
> Running latest dev-release. Not using the lua patch recommended, but 
> everything else seem to work ok. Getting this error on startup.

This is due to a Lua bug that is fixed by the patches. Because the
compiled .lc file fails, Ion falls back to the .lua file and things
usually work fine. However, this same bug apparently also causes the
occasional disappearences of some functions in querylib.

--

-- 
Tuomo

Niclas Olofsson | 2 Dec 22:13 2003

Re: startup-errors

Any idea why removing the compiled file still gives the same error?

/Niclas

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:35:41PM +0100, Niclas Olofsson wrote:
> 
>>Running latest dev-release. Not using the lua patch recommended, but 
>>everything else seem to work ok. Getting this error on startup.
> 
> 
> This is due to a Lua bug that is fixed by the patches. Because the
> compiled .lc file fails, Ion falls back to the .lua file and things
> usually work fine. However, this same bug apparently also causes the
> occasional disappearences of some functions in querylib.
> 

--

-- 
Niclas Olofsson - http://www.ismobile.com
Product Development, isMobile, Aurorum 2, S-977 75 LuleƄ, Sweden
Phone: +46(0)920-75550
Mobile: +46(0)70-3726404

Tom Payne | 3 Dec 17:40 2003
Picon

Updated dock module

Attached. 

Key changes: 

 - stupid bugs fixed
 - works with ion-devel-20031121 ONLY
 - now uses ion's drawing engine 

They're probably a few problems that I've missed. Let me know. 

Be sure to read the README: there have been some config file changes, mainly 
to do with the new drawing code. 

Regards, 

Tom 
Attachment (ion-devel-dock-20031202.tar.bz2): application/octet-stream, 23 KiB
Timothy Miles-Board | 3 Dec 17:40 2003
Picon

Menus in ion-devel-20031121


Hi

Just upgraded to ion-devel-20031121 - seemed to install without a hitch.

However, menus don't seem to be working for me :( I get the following 
message when i click button 3 on a tab (using default bindings):

menulib.lua:99: attempt to call global 'menu_menu' (a nil value)

I get similar errors for other menu bindings.

Any help appreciated, Tim.

--

-- 
Timothy Miles-Board
Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia Group
University of Southampton
http://www.milesboard.org/

Tuomo Valkonen | 3 Dec 17:50 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: Menus in ion-devel-20031121

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 04:40:01PM +0000, Timothy Miles-Board wrote:
> However, menus don't seem to be working for me :( I get the following 
> message when i click button 3 on a tab (using default bindings):

Your ioncore.lua is probably not loading the menu module. 'make install'
apparently does not overwrite $ETCDIR/ioncore.lua, although I thought 
I had modified it so, and therefore the menu module won't get loaded 
if installed over an older installation. Likewise, if you have a
custom ~/.ion-devel/ioncore.lua, the menu module won't be loaded.

--

-- 
Tuomo


Gmane