Ng Oon-Ee | 1 Feb 08:39 2011
Picon

Re: Some Wine apps auto-float, unable to toggle floating off

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 00:01 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 16:43 +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA256
> > 
> > Am 31.01.2011 04:36, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > > E-sword is a free app which exhibits this behaviour. On startup it is
> > > floating, and I can't seem to get it to unfloat no matter what I do.
> > > Some other wine apps work however (utorrent is one that does on my
> > > system).
> > > 
> > > I've took the xprop output for  both in the hope that it is useful.
> > > 
> > > http://pastebin.com/cYCEm5DK is for utorrent which works
> > > http://pastebin.com/KAqE8PeP is for e-sword which doesn't (can only
> > > float)
> > 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > could this be FS#345? Could you grab xwininfo output for one of those windows, too?
> > 
> > Alternatively, could you try unminimizing e-sword? As your xprop output says, it
> > is maximized:
> > 
> > _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT, _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ
> > 
> > Cheers,
> > Uli
> > 
> > https://awesome.naquadah.org/bugs/index.php?do=details&task_id=345
(Continue reading)

The Sighter | 1 Feb 11:01 2011
Picon

Re: Vicious Fs Widget - character problem

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 08:20:01PM +0100, Adrian C. wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, The Sighter wrote:
> 
> > vicious/helpers.lua:57: attempt to index local 'var' (a number value)
> 
> Sorry I forgot about that.
> 
> > However i agree to you that this is a messi solution.
> 
> It's not the only lua magic character... then all should be stripped.
> 
> -- 
> Adrian C. (anrxc) | anrxc..sysphere.org | PGP ID: D20A0618
> PGP FP: 02A5 628A D8EE 2A93 996E  929F D5CB 31B7 D20A 0618
> 
> -- 
> To unsubscribe, send mail to awesome-unsubscribe <at> naquadah.org.

Sorry I forgot something too.

Seriously thanks for that nice widget library! :)

I will search the lua docs if I have time.

Jörg Thalheim | 1 Feb 17:50 2011
Picon

Re: Vicious Fs Widget - character problem

This snippet could solve the problem. It also reduce string.gsub calls
to one per format.

function format(format, args)
   -- naive testing whether args is an indexed table. any better solution?
   if args[1] ~= nil then
           -- args is not an indexed table, we expect the format $1,$2..$100
           -- i is the captured number as a string
           format = format:gsub("$(%d+)", function(i) return
args[tonumber(i)] end)
   else
           --
           format = format:gsub("$({[^}]-})", args)
           -- another solution, to get rid of args["{key}"] and use
args["key"] instead
           --format = format:gsub("${([^}]-)}", args)
   end
end

--

-- 
Gruß Jörg

Uli Schlachter | 1 Feb 21:07 2011
Picon

Re: Some Wine apps auto-float, unable to toggle floating off


Am 01.02.2011 08:39, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> After some more testing (with other apps as well), it seems the
> 'offending' hint is this one (from xprop):-
> 
> WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x5a00001
> 
> How does awesome handle this particular hint/

I can't find anything in the C core actually using this, except for the stacking
order (client's are above the window for which they are transient).
It's available to lua via c.transient_for. The only thing that uses this is
awful.tag. When a new client with a transient_for hint appears, it gets the same
screen and tags as its transient for client.

So, that shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Cheers,
Uli
--

-- 
Q: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?
Adrian C. | 1 Feb 22:14 2011

Re: Vicious Fs Widget - character problem

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Jörg Thalheim wrote:

> This snippet could solve the problem. It also reduce string.gsub calls
> to one per format.

Yes, thanks.

-- 
Adrian C. (anrxc) | anrxc..sysphere.org | PGP ID: D20A0618
PGP FP: 02A5 628A D8EE 2A93 996E  929F D5CB 31B7 D20A 0618

--

-- 
To unsubscribe, send mail to awesome-unsubscribe <at> naquadah.org.

Ng Oon-Ee | 1 Feb 23:19 2011
Picon

Re: Some Wine apps auto-float, unable to toggle floating off

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 21:07 +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA256
> 
> Am 01.02.2011 08:39, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > After some more testing (with other apps as well), it seems the
> > 'offending' hint is this one (from xprop):-
> > 
> > WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x5a00001
> > 
> > How does awesome handle this particular hint/
> 
> I can't find anything in the C core actually using this, except for the stacking
> order (client's are above the window for which they are transient).
> It's available to lua via c.transient_for. The only thing that uses this is
> awful.tag. When a new client with a transient_for hint appears, it gets the same
> screen and tags as its transient for client.
> 
> So, that shouldn't have anything to do with this.
> 
> Cheers,
> Uli

Thanks Uli. I've tested four different Wine apps, the two that worked
(tiled) both did not have this, the two that didn't had the hint.

Additionally, the window id pointed to for both of them does not exist.
Probably pointing towards the splash screen or something of that nature.

Any ideas what else I should try? The other hints are just about
(Continue reading)

Ng Oon-Ee | 1 Feb 23:32 2011
Picon

Re: Some Wine apps auto-float, unable to toggle floating off

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 21:07 +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA256
> 
> Am 01.02.2011 08:39, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> > After some more testing (with other apps as well), it seems the
> > 'offending' hint is this one (from xprop):-
> > 
> > WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x5a00001
> > 
> > How does awesome handle this particular hint/
> 
> I can't find anything in the C core actually using this, except for the stacking
> order (client's are above the window for which they are transient).
> It's available to lua via c.transient_for. The only thing that uses this is
> awful.tag. When a new client with a transient_for hint appears, it gets the same
> screen and tags as its transient for client.
> 
> So, that shouldn't have anything to do with this.
> 
> Cheers,
> Uli

Hmm, just retested, while yesterday I could not find the parent window
today I can. Here's xwininfo -id 0x5600001 (which is the ID currently
under WM_TRANSIENT_FOR for the app.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x5600001 "e-Sword"

  Absolute upper-left X:  640
(Continue reading)

Shawn J. Goff | 2 Feb 14:29 2011
Picon

Moving Beautiful theme from /usr to /home causes two sets of tags.

I'm using Beautiful for theming. In my rc.lua, I had the following:

 >require("beautiful")
 >...
 >beautiful.init("/usr/share/awesome/themes/default/theme.lua")

I wasn't happy with the default background image, so I did
 >cp -r /usr/share/awesome/themes/default/ .config/awesome/themes/
and changed rc.lua to have
 >beautiful.init("/home/shawn/.config/awesome/themes/default/theme.lua")
instead of the previous version.

At this point, I restarted Awesome, and it still looked the same (as 
expected). So I went to the next step:
 >cd ~/.config/awesome/thems/default
 >sed -i 's/\/usr\/share/\/home\/shawn\/.config/' theme.lua
This succsesfully changed all the paths in the theme to point to the new 
location. I restarted awesome, and I had two sets of tags named 1-9. The 
keybindings were attached to the new set of tags, the old ones were 
unreachable by keyboard, but clicking on them showed the programs on 
that tag. Also, my custom keybindings aren't working, and a volume 
widget I added to my wibox is gone. Restarting again doesn't fix it. I 
had to reverse my sed operation so the theme pointed back into /usr to 
get things back to normal.

What can be causing this behavior?

Anurag Priyam | 2 Feb 14:58 2011
Picon

Re: Moving Beautiful theme from /usr to /home causes two sets of tags.

> What can be causing this behavior?

Could you check awesome's error log and let us know? If you are using
some desktop manager (gdm, kdm, etc) then the errors should probably
be logged to ~/.xsession-errors, otherwise on the tty you started
awesome from.

--

-- 
Anurag Priyam
http://about.me/yeban/

Uli Schlachter | 2 Feb 15:22 2011
Picon

Re: Some Wine apps auto-float, unable to toggle floating off


Am 01.02.2011 23:32, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 21:07 +0100, Uli Schlachter wrote:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA256
>>
>> Am 01.02.2011 08:39, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>>> After some more testing (with other apps as well), it seems the
>>> 'offending' hint is this one (from xprop):-
>>>
>>> WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x5a00001
>>>
>>> How does awesome handle this particular hint/
>>
>> I can't find anything in the C core actually using this, except for the stacking
>> order (client's are above the window for which they are transient).
>> It's available to lua via c.transient_for. The only thing that uses this is
>> awful.tag. When a new client with a transient_for hint appears, it gets the same
>> screen and tags as its transient for client.
>>
>> So, that shouldn't have anything to do with this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Uli
> 
> Hmm, just retested, while yesterday I could not find the parent window
> today I can. Here's xwininfo -id 0x5600001 (which is the ID currently
> under WM_TRANSIENT_FOR for the app.
> 
> xwininfo: Window id: 0x5600001 "e-Sword"
(Continue reading)


Gmane