Wil Cooley | 1 Feb 02:48 2004

[webmin-devel] Bug adding Samba user with LDAP users & groups


I noticed a bug in the Samba attributes in the LDAP Users & Groups
module.  The module adds sambaPrimaryGroupSID and presumes that the RID
can be algorithmically generated.  There are several "well known" groups
and corresponding RIDs, such as the "Domain Users" group with RID of
513.  It would be better to ascertain the group SID with an LDAP query
if the group already exists; however, considering that the smbldap tools
do not populate this attribute and none of the docs mention that it is
required, it would probably be best to simply not add the attribute.

Wil
--

-- 
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley <at> nakedape.cc
Naked Ape Consulting                        http://nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                   http://nakedape.cc  *
*                   Secure E-mail Server                     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender           http://nakedape.cc/r/md  *
Jamie Cameron | 1 Feb 12:58 2004

Re: [webmin-devel] Bug adding Samba user with LDAP users & groups

Thanks for the information - unless someone on the list suggests
otherwise, I will drop that attribute in the next release. It was added
by a user-contributed patch, so I am not too sure myself how necessary
it really is ..

 - Jamie

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 12:48, Wil Cooley wrote:
> I noticed a bug in the Samba attributes in the LDAP Users & Groups
> module.  The module adds sambaPrimaryGroupSID and presumes that the RID
> can be algorithmically generated.  There are several "well known" groups
> and corresponding RIDs, such as the "Domain Users" group with RID of
> 513.  It would be better to ascertain the group SID with an LDAP query
> if the group already exists; however, considering that the smbldap tools
> do not populate this attribute and none of the docs mention that it is
> required, it would probably be best to simply not add the attribute.
> 
> Wil

-------------------------------------------------------
The SF.Net email is sponsored by EclipseCon 2004
Premiere Conference on Open Tools Development and Integration
See the breadth of Eclipse activity. February 3-5 in Anaheim, CA.
http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn
-
Forwarded by the Webmin development list at webmin-devel <at> webmin.com
To remove yourself from this list, go to
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/webadmin-devel

(Continue reading)

Martin Mewes | 2 Feb 00:00 2004
Picon

[FAQ] Webmin/Usermin - Translation - Weekly HOWTO

######################################################################
Webmin/Usermin - Translation - Weekly HOWTO
Original: http://webmin.mamemu.de/modules.html#newlang
Martin Mewes - Webmin/Usermin Translation Co-Ordinator (WTCO)
Last changed: 29.01.2004
######################################################################

History:
--------

26.01.2003
Webmin-Version 1.130 released as stable
Usermin-Version 1.060 released as stable

08.01.2004
Virtualmin-Version 1.71 released as stable

Administrative:
---------------

29.01.2004

FAQ-Post changed to monthly from 01.02.2004
New versions will be announced when they are released.

23.01.2004

http://www.mewes.tv/
The Source for Webmin-Translations and other fine OpenSource-Stuff
My page is up again (partially), so what`s new:
(Continue reading)

Martin Mewes | 2 Feb 08:33 2004
Picon

[webmin-devel] [CRON -Webmin] Monthly comes out as daily.

Hi all,

I haven't been online over the weekend that much and just find out,
that on my Debian 3r2-Box my cronjobs have gone wild.

I wanted to change the frequency for my FAQ from weekly into monthly
and checked the requested boxes in Webmin's CRON-Module.

As you can see, from the 1st it came in daily, which was not my
intention.

I have manually set CRON to

0 0 1 * *	/bin/sh /home/macmewes/cron/webtrans.sh

which should be monthly as well as

 <at> monthly	/bin/sh /home/macmewes/cron/webtrans.sh

crontab is version 3.0pl1-72

bis dahin - kind regards

Martin Mewes

--

-- 
http://webmin.mamemu.de/
Official Webmin/Usermin Translation Co-Ordinator 2003/2004
Proud Forte Agent 2.0 Beta Tester

(Continue reading)

John Horne | 11 Feb 16:25 2004
Picon

[webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

Hello,

As far as I can tell, using webmin 1.130, if I use 'remote_eval' in a
module to execute something on a remote server nothing gets logged by
webmin on the remote server. Would it be possible to get the command
logged? Access to the remote server is by fastrpc with a username/pwd
supplied. I'm not totally sure how webmin communicates with the remote
server so I'm not too sure what is/is not possible! :-)

Thanks,

John.

--

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne <at> plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839

-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now.
Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with
a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click
-
Forwarded by the Webmin development list at webmin-devel <at> webmin.com
To remove yourself from this list, go to
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/webadmin-devel

Jamie Cameron | 11 Feb 23:15 2004

Re: [webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 02:25, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> As far as I can tell, using webmin 1.130, if I use 'remote_eval' in a
> module to execute something on a remote server nothing gets logged by
> webmin on the remote server. Would it be possible to get the command
> logged? Access to the remote server is by fastrpc with a username/pwd
> supplied. I'm not totally sure how webmin communicates with the remote
> server so I'm not too sure what is/is not possible! :-)

You would have to use code like :

remote_foreign_call($server, $module, "system_logged", $your_command);
remote_foreign_call($server, $module, "webmin_log", "whatever");

Most modules do their logging on the 'master' side rather than the
'slave' side .. however, this would still work fine.

 - Jamie

-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now.
Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with
a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click
-
Forwarded by the Webmin development list at webmin-devel <at> webmin.com
To remove yourself from this list, go to
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/webadmin-devel

(Continue reading)

Andrew Kornak | 11 Feb 23:44 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: [webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

This brought me to think about logging in "Usermin". Is there a way to
to log Usermin activity like Webmin has? I was unable to find an option
to do this.

-Andrew

Jamie Cameron wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 02:25, John Horne wrote:
>  
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>As far as I can tell, using webmin 1.130, if I use 'remote_eval' in a
>>module to execute something on a remote server nothing gets logged by
>>webmin on the remote server. Would it be possible to get the command
>>logged? Access to the remote server is by fastrpc with a username/pwd
>>supplied. I'm not totally sure how webmin communicates with the remote
>>server so I'm not too sure what is/is not possible! :-)
>>    
>>
>
>You would have to use code like :
>
>remote_foreign_call($server, $module, "system_logged", $your_command);
>remote_foreign_call($server, $module, "webmin_log", "whatever");
>
>Most modules do their logging on the 'master' side rather than the
>'slave' side .. however, this would still work fine.
>
(Continue reading)

Jamie Cameron | 11 Feb 23:56 2004

Re: [webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

Currently, logging by Usermin is not supported .. and it would be tough
to implement a central log like Webmin has, as most Usermin modules run
with non-root privileges.

 - Jamie

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:44, Andrew Kornak wrote:
> This brought me to think about logging in "Usermin". Is there a way to
> to log Usermin activity like Webmin has? I was unable to find an option
> to do this.
> 
> -Andrew
> 
> Jamie Cameron wrote:
> 
> >On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 02:25, John Horne wrote:
> >  
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>As far as I can tell, using webmin 1.130, if I use 'remote_eval' in a
> >>module to execute something on a remote server nothing gets logged by
> >>webmin on the remote server. Would it be possible to get the command
> >>logged? Access to the remote server is by fastrpc with a username/pwd
> >>supplied. I'm not totally sure how webmin communicates with the remote
> >>server so I'm not too sure what is/is not possible! :-)
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >You would have to use code like :
(Continue reading)

Andrew Kornak | 12 Feb 00:40 2004
Picon
Picon

Re: [webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

Forgive for my ignorance, but, how would that effect Usermin activity? 
Usermin runs as root
as does Webmin. Couldn't Usermin activity be logged in the same fashion? 
Why would a module's
privileges matter if the master process has root privileges.  Thanks.

-Andrew

Jamie Cameron wrote:

>Currently, logging by Usermin is not supported .. and it would be tough
>to implement a central log like Webmin has, as most Usermin modules run
>with non-root privileges.
>
> - Jamie
>
>On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:44, Andrew Kornak wrote:
>  
>
>>This brought me to think about logging in "Usermin". Is there a way to
>>to log Usermin activity like Webmin has? I was unable to find an option
>>to do this.
>>
>>-Andrew
>>
>>Jamie Cameron wrote:
>>
>>    
>>
>>>On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 02:25, John Horne wrote:
(Continue reading)

Jamie Cameron | 12 Feb 00:56 2004

Re: [webmin-devel] Logging remote commands

The main Usermin webserver process runs as root, and all CGI scripts are
run as root initially, but most drop their privileges down to the level
of the logged-in user before doing anything. So writing to global log
files after some action is performed is not possible .. although there
may be ways around this by pre-opening the log file before dropping root
privileges.

In my opinion, logging in Usermin isn't as important as in Webmin, as
the amount of damage the user can be is less :-)

 - Jamie

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 10:40, Andrew Kornak wrote:
> Forgive for my ignorance, but, how would that effect Usermin activity? 
> Usermin runs as root
> as does Webmin. Couldn't Usermin activity be logged in the same fashion? 
> Why would a module's
> privileges matter if the master process has root privileges.  Thanks.
> 
> -Andrew
> 
> Jamie Cameron wrote:
> 
> >Currently, logging by Usermin is not supported .. and it would be tough
> >to implement a central log like Webmin has, as most Usermin modules run
> >with non-root privileges.
> >
> > - Jamie
> >
> >On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:44, Andrew Kornak wrote:
(Continue reading)


Gmane