lee.r.sachs | 1 May 01:00 2002
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules


Here's two:

- No popup windows
- No frames

-lee

Anyone have any of these (anecdotes not necessary, but always welcome for
entertainment value)

thanks!

christina wodtke
http://www.boxesandarrows.com

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
Heller, David | 1 May 01:06 2002

RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

We are currently developing an app here and the rule was NO POPUP WINDOWS!!!!!

I have to say that I'm totally flustered by this silly one.

Of course we are using frames like no tomorrow ... Go figure!
-- dave

-----Original Message-----
From: lee.r.sachs <at> verizon.com [mailto:lee.r.sachs <at> verizon.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 4:01 PM
To: sigia-l <at> asis.org
Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules



Here's two:

- No popup windows
- No frames

-lee



Anyone have any of these (anecdotes not necessary, but always welcome for entertainment value)

thanks!


christina wodtke
http://www.boxesandarrows.com





Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30. See http://www.asis.org/CM _______________________________________________

Sigia-l mailing list
Sigia-l <at> asis.org
http://mail.asis.org/mailman/listinfo/sigia-l

Byron Stevens | 1 May 02:01 2002
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

How about: “A user should never have more than three clicks to get what they want”

Byron Stevens

On 4/30/02 4:18 PM, "Heller, David" <david.heller <at> documentum.com> wrote:

Oh this one reminded me of another.

"It is best to be able to navigate to anywhere from anywhere."

-- dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Hjortshoj [mailto:anne <at> optical.mindstorm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 1:18 PM
To: Heller, David
Cc: 'Christina Wodtke'; 'sigia-l <at> asis.org'
Subject: RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules




Here's one: it's always more efficient to have everything on one page.

"Everything" can equal:

-Search
-Text
-Steps in a workflow
-Forms

etc.

I've spent some time lately gently persuading clients and developers that this isn't the case.

-Anne

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Heller, David wrote:

> Christina here are a few of mine:
> 1. Local Navigation should be on the left; Global Navigation should be
> on the top 2. Links should be blue & underlined
> 3. Animated gifs are bad
> 4. Flash is bad
> 5. Nested tables are bad
> 6. Users won't wait for pages to download
> 7. Users won't horizontally scroll
> 8. Users max out their windows
> 9. Users use web sites differently from GUI applications
> 10. Keep it Simple
>

>


Adam Korman | 1 May 02:12 2002

RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

Ziya wrote:
> Can you get 10,000 results from  Google? I don't think 
> they'll let you.

They won't... in fact, you can't get past 990. The interface actually breaks
if you try, telling you that your search "did not match any documents."

...proof that you *never* need to return more than 1,000 search results. ;)

- Adam
========== 
Adam Korman
Senior Design Consultant
Cooper - humanizing technology
adam <at> cooper.com / 650.213.5104
Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
Mary Wisnewski | 1 May 02:33 2002

RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christina Wodtke [mailto:cwodtke <at> eleganthack.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 11:49 AM
> To: sigia-l <at> asis.org
> Subject: [Sigia-l] seeking rules
>
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm seeking "rules of web design" that are absolute and
> erroneous in their
> over-simplicity. Such as "users don't read" "users don't
> scroll" "Have only
> seven links on a page" and so on.
>


Maybe not a rule.. but came up this week working with several similar web sites who are supposed to "integrate"

We have to use the same method of navigation everywhere on the site.

We're dealing with two kinds of content that are sort of similar, like say, training & documentation.  Current problem is:  should navigation start with product or start with region.  They want it to be the same everywhere.  Internal, external, different content types, whatever.   SAME is some kind of mantra... but they haven't checked to see what fits the users needs.

Heller, David | 1 May 02:57 2002

RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

 Oh! that was good Mary ... Consistency for consistency's sake is a great rule!

-- dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Wisnewski
To: sigia-l <at> asis.org
Sent: 4/30/2002 5:33 PM
Subject: RE: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christina Wodtke [ mailto:cwodtke <at> eleganthack.com
<mailto:cwodtke <at> eleganthack.com> ]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 11:49 AM
> To: sigia-l <at> asis.org
> Subject: [Sigia-l] seeking rules
>
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm seeking "rules of web design" that are absolute and
> erroneous in their
> over-simplicity. Such as "users don't read" "users don't
> scroll" "Have only
> seven links on a page" and so on.
>


Maybe not a rule.. but came up this week working with several similar
web sites who are supposed to "integrate"

We have to use the same method of navigation everywhere on the site.

We're dealing with two kinds of content that are sort of similar, like
say, training & documentation.  Current problem is:  should navigation
start with product or start with region.  They want it to be the same
everywhere.  Internal, external, different content types, whatever.
SAME is some kind of mantra... but they haven't checked to see what fits
the users needs.

Thomas Vander Wal | 1 May 05:07 2002
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

Information should be structured by the organization's org chart.

All the best,
Thomas

Www.vanderwal.net

On 4/30/02 2:48 PM, "Christina Wodtke" <cwodtke <at> eleganthack.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
> 
> I'm seeking "rules of web design" that are absolute and erroneous in their
> over-simplicity. Such as "users don't read" "users don't scroll" "Have only
> seven links on a page" and so on.
> 
> Anyone have any of these (anecdotes not necessary, but always welcome for
> entertainment value)
> 
> thanks!
> 
> 
> christina wodtke
> http://www.boxesandarrows.com
> 
> Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
> See http://www.asis.org/CM
> _______________________________________________
> Sigia-l mailing list
> Sigia-l <at> asis.org
> http://mail.asis.org/mailman/listinfo/sigia-l
> 

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
Eric Scheid | 1 May 05:50 2002
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

"Make things simple for users, don't put obstacles in their way"

e.

______________________________________________________________________
eric <at> ironclad.net.au                 i r o n c l a d   n e t w o r k s
information architect                      http://www.ironclad.net.au/

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
Victor Lombardi | 1 May 06:02 2002
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

I'd like to make a little plea for the novice
designers who actually benefit from these sorts of
rules. I recently did some consulting for a large
company whose designers didn't know, for example, the
difference between the web, the web browser, and the
Internet. When it comes to not knowing much at all, or
having some rules to fall back on, those rules look
pretty good.

At 4/30/2002 -0700 11:48 AM, Christina Wodtke wrote:
Hey all,

I'm seeking "rules of web design" that are absolute
and erroneous in their
over-simplicity. Such as "users don't read" "users
don't scroll" "Have only
seven links on a page" and so on.

Anyone have any of these (anecdotes not necessary, but
always welcome for
entertainment value)

thanks!

christina wodtke
http://www.boxesandarrows.com

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott,
June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
_______________________________________________
Sigia-l mailing list
Sigia-l <at> asis.org
http://mail.asis.org/mailman/listinfo/sigia-l 

Victor Lombardi
http://www.noisebetweenstations.com/
_____________________________

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
http://health.yahoo.com
Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM
Ziya Oz | 1 May 06:24 2002
Picon
Picon

Re: [Sigia-l] seeking rules

"Victor Lombardi" wrote:

> I'd like to make a little plea for the novice
> designers who actually benefit from these sorts of
> rules. I recently did some consulting for a large
> company whose designers didn't know, for example, the
> difference between the web, the web browser, and the
> Internet. 

The question is were they supposed to? Were they hired as web designers? Is
that how they make a living? If so, the problem is deeper than rule
adherence.

> When it comes to not knowing much at all, or
> having some rules to fall back on, those rules look
> pretty good.

This sounds sensible at first. But then the question becomes: should novice
designers be put in a position to make critical choices on their own on
anything but the smallest projects? Shouldn't somebody higher up have the
experience to render such judgments or at least act as the safety net?

If we don't actively encourage mediocrity, for example, why do it with
adherence to silly 'rules'?

Best,

Ziya

Content Management Symposium, Chicago O'Hare Marriott, June 28 - 30.
See http://www.asis.org/CM

Gmane