Alexandre Passant | 1 Oct 15:23 2010

[foaf-dev] Birth/death dates and places in the Bio vocab

Hi Ian, all

While the Bio vocabulary [1] provides classes for main life events, from where we can use dc:created /
geonames:locatedIn to model dates and places it happened, I'd find useful to get simple properties for:

- birthDate
- deathDate
- birthPlace
- deathPlace 

2 first ones would be datatype properties, last one object property.
There are similar ones in DBpedia exports of persons, but I'd rather having them in this bio-related vocab.

Any opinion on this ?

Alex.

[1] http://vocab.org/bio/0.1/

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
National University of Ireland, Galway
:me owl:sameAs <http://apassant.net/alex> .
Mauro Bieg | 3 Oct 12:45 2010
Picon
Picon

[foaf-dev] Vocabulary for internal structure of text documents

Hello,

Does anyone know of a vocabulary or ontology that describes the internal structure of a text document with
headings and subheadings? Basically like HTML or LaTeX but in RDF. 

Or do you think RDF isn't suited for that? I think it would be great to have that internal information of
articles, books, etc. available as semantic data too, and not only the metadata. You could generate table
of contents, reference a paragraph of an article or a figure directly by its URI, etc..

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts because I'm thinking of building such a vocabulary if it doesn't exist
already. So why hasn't this been done yet or what are the potential problems?

Thanks,
Mauro
Dan Brickley | 3 Oct 13:50 2010

Re: [foaf-dev] Vocabulary for internal structure of text documents


On 3 Oct 2010, at 12:45, Mauro Bieg <mauro.bieg@...> wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> Does anyone know of a vocabulary or ontology that describes the internal structure of a text document with
headings and subheadings? Basically like HTML or LaTeX but in RDF. 
> 
> Or do you think RDF isn't suited for that? I think it would be great to have that internal information of
articles, books, etc. available as semantic data too, and not only the metadata. You could generate table
of contents, reference a paragraph of an article or a figure directly by its URI, etc..
> 
> I'd be glad to hear your thoughts because I'm thinking of building such a vocabulary if it doesn't exist
already. So why hasn't this been done yet or what are the potential problems?
> 

There is a version of the infoset spec as rdf somewhere; perhaps too low level for your needs. Excuse lack of
url, i'm on iphone but it should be easy to find.

Re foaf, open q is being clearer about patterns for describing how small instances of foaf:Document can fit
together to make bigger ones. This should work easily across files, so perhaps similarly for file substructure.

Dan

> Thanks,
> Mauro
> _______________________________________________
> foaf-dev mailing list
> foaf-dev@...
> http://lists.foaf-project.org/mailman/listinfo/foaf-dev
(Continue reading)

Simon Reinhardt | 3 Oct 13:53 2010
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Vocabulary for internal structure of text documents

Hi

Mauro Bieg wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> Does anyone know of a vocabulary or ontology that describes the internal structure of a text document with
headings and subheadings? Basically like HTML or LaTeX but in RDF. 
> 
> Or do you think RDF isn't suited for that? I think it would be great to have that internal information of
articles, books, etc. available as semantic data too, and not only the metadata. You could generate table
of contents, reference a paragraph of an article or a figure directly by its URI, etc..
> 
> I'd be glad to hear your thoughts because I'm thinking of building such a vocabulary if it doesn't exist
already. So why hasn't this been done yet or what are the potential problems?

I think formats like XHTML are very well suited for this purpose already.
What's your use-case? Do you need to aggregate such data over a collection of documents? Which might be in
different formats? Find connections between documents? Infer new information?
If not then the formats we have will do the job just fine. :-)

Regards,
  Simon
K. Faith Lawrence | 3 Oct 15:26 2010
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Vocabulary for internal structure of text documents

Heya,

I don't know if it is similar to what you are thinking but we have
been having fun with TEI (and TEI enhanced with RDFa) to generate RDF
triples and, conversely, xpointers to refer back to particular
sections of TEI encoded documents. If you want to describe textual
documents with greater specificity than HTML or LaTeX then TEI is a
standard that is worth investigating.

In our case we are taking TEI marked up plays/scripts, creating RDF
triples describing the events that are occurring within a particular
section of script (a character talking, characters entering or leaving
the stage etc) then linking that description back to the section of
script in question. In this case the vocabulary differentiates between
the areas of text which are the stage directions and speech in
addition to their positioning within the structure of the document.

Yours,

Faith

On 3 October 2010 11:45, Mauro Bieg <mauro.bieg@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of a vocabulary or ontology that describes the internal structure of a text document with
headings and subheadings? Basically like HTML or LaTeX but in RDF.
>
> Or do you think RDF isn't suited for that? I think it would be great to have that internal information of
articles, books, etc. available as semantic data too, and not only the metadata. You could generate table
of contents, reference a paragraph of an article or a figure directly by its URI, etc..
(Continue reading)

Bob Ferris | 3 Oct 15:44 2010
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Birth/death dates and places in the Bio vocab

Am 01.10.2010 15:23, schrieb Alexandre Passant:
> Hi Ian, all
>
> While the Bio vocabulary [1] provides classes for main life events, from where we can use dc:created /
geonames:locatedIn to model dates and places it happened, I'd find useful to get simple properties for:
>
> - birthDate
> - deathDate
> - birthPlace
> - deathPlace
>
> 2 first ones would be datatype properties, last one object property.
> There are similar ones in DBpedia exports of persons, but I'd rather having them in this bio-related vocab.
>
> Any opinion on this ?

What's the problem with bio:Birth[1], e.g.

_:e a bio:Birth
     ; dc:date "1879-03-14"
     ; bio:place <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Ulm> # or event:place
     .

and bio:Death[2], e.g.

_:e a bio:Death
     ; dc:date "1955-04-18"
     ; bio:place <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Princeton,_New_Jersey> # 
or event:place
     .
(Continue reading)

Alexandre Passant | 3 Oct 15:46 2010

Re: [foaf-dev] Birth/death dates and places in the Bio vocab


On 3 Oct 2010, at 14:44, Bob Ferris wrote:

> Am 01.10.2010 15:23, schrieb Alexandre Passant:
>> Hi Ian, all
>> 
>> While the Bio vocabulary [1] provides classes for main life events, from where we can use dc:created /
geonames:locatedIn to model dates and places it happened, I'd find useful to get simple properties for:
>> 
>> - birthDate
>> - deathDate
>> - birthPlace
>> - deathPlace
>> 
>> 2 first ones would be datatype properties, last one object property.
>> There are similar ones in DBpedia exports of persons, but I'd rather having them in this bio-related vocab.
>> 
>> Any opinion on this ?
> 
> What's the problem with bio:Birth[1], e.g.
> 
> _:e a bio:Birth
>     ; dc:date "1879-03-14"
>     ; bio:place <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Ulm> # or event:place
>     .
> 
> and bio:Death[2], e.g.
> 
> _:e a bio:Death
>     ; dc:date "1955-04-18"
(Continue reading)

Mauro Bieg | 3 Oct 15:59 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Vocabulary for internal structure of text documents

Hi,

Thank you both for your quick reply!

 <at> Dan: yes, the infoset spec is too low level.
>> Re foaf, open q is being clearer about patterns for describing how small instances of foaf:Document can
fit together to make bigger ones.
That sounds interesting.. but what is open q?

 <at> Simon: I'm thinking of building a semantic CMS where the only database is basically an RDF-triple store.
The user would then enter all the data in a semantic way and could later (re-)combine it to form different
views. For example you could create a new event:Event with a property event:time and this information
would once be rendered as an iCalendar file and another time be included in the web page for that event. And
the text for that page would be a  foaf:Document that has as a foaf:primaryTopic that event, etc. 
I hope by making the user interface slick enough, people will actually find it easier to enter their data
semantically as opposed to the WYSIWYG approach. Obviously I'd like to do that also for the text itself,
but there you run into this "is RDF really suited for text documents?"-thing. As you said, in XHTML or
similar some things are much easier, for example inserting a <reference> tag in the middle of a paragraph
that will be rendered as a footnote later. But it would be kind of a shame to have all this data in RDF and then
when it comes to structured text break that and just use XML because we're all so used to it. But maybe it will
turn out to be the better solution.
So yeah, that's what would be my use-case :) I have just started thinking about this idea and I'll see whether
the approach is feasible and stuff.

Best,
Mauro

Am 03.10.2010 um 13:53 schrieb Simon Reinhardt:

> Hi
(Continue reading)

Karen Coyle | 3 Oct 16:40 2010
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Birth/death dates and places in the Bio vocab

Quoting Alexandre Passant <alexandre.passant@...>:

>>> While the Bio vocabulary [1] provides classes for main life   
>>> events, from where we can use dc:created / geonames:locatedIn to   
>>> model dates and places it happened, I'd find useful to get simple   
>>> properties for:
>>>
>>> - birthDate
>>> - deathDate
>>> - birthPlace
>>> - deathPlace

The RDA vocabulary has these. SEe:

http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/list/schema_id/15.html
e.g. http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/812.html

kc

--

-- 
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@... http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet
Bob Ferris | 3 Oct 17:03 2010
Picon

Re: [foaf-dev] Birth/death dates and places in the Bio vocab

Am 03.10.2010 15:46, schrieb Alexandre Passant:
>
> On 3 Oct 2010, at 14:44, Bob Ferris wrote:
>
>> Am 01.10.2010 15:23, schrieb Alexandre Passant:
>>> Hi Ian, all
>>>
>>> While the Bio vocabulary [1] provides classes for main life events, from where we can use dc:created /
geonames:locatedIn to model dates and places it happened, I'd find useful to get simple properties for:
>>>
>>> - birthDate
>>> - deathDate
>>> - birthPlace
>>> - deathPlace
>>>
>>> 2 first ones would be datatype properties, last one object property.
>>> There are similar ones in DBpedia exports of persons, but I'd rather having them in this bio-related vocab.
>>>
>>> Any opinion on this ?
>>
>> What's the problem with bio:Birth[1], e.g.
>>
>> _:e a bio:Birth
>>      ; dc:date "1879-03-14"
>>      ; bio:place<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Ulm>  # or event:place
>>      .
>>
>> and bio:Death[2], e.g.
>>
>> _:e a bio:Death
(Continue reading)


Gmane