Sangwhan Moon | 3 Jul 10:23 2011
Picon

New market installations always result in orphan

Hello,

I've been giving this new marketplace thing a spin on 1.2.98, and noticed something weird - everything I
install becomes a orphan installation, even if it's perfectly functioning. I didn't know that it could do
something potentially volatile, and went ahead and cleaned-up a redmine installation that I've been
configuring for a entire day. Now I'm doing it again, and it still thinks it's orphaned.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Sincerely,
Sangwhan
webtest | 5 Jul 09:11 2011
Picon

(no subject)

Hi,

  I think that there is no way to save all data pass trough cherokee server.
However I need such functionality. I want to modify cherokee source (I am
C/C++ programmer), but need more instruction what to do. What file to
open, for example.
  Second question is - if traffic is encrypted (more correctly
compressed), then what I can do to decode it? I not mean SSL traffic,
which is impossible to decrypt - just if there is usual compression.

Regards
Stefan de Konink | 5 Jul 09:31 2011
Picon

Re: (no subject)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, webtest <at> pismo.bg wrote:

>  I think that there is no way to save all data pass trough cherokee server.
> However I need such functionality. I want to modify cherokee source (I am
> C/C++ programmer), but need more instruction what to do. What file to
> open, for example.
>  Second question is - if traffic is encrypted (more correctly
> compressed), then what I can do to decode it? I not mean SSL traffic,
> which is impossible to decrypt - just if there is usual compression.

'All data' maybe a tool like tcpdump is better :)

Stefan
armanjava | 6 Jul 08:30 2011
Picon

Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

It would be great to have Memcached as a wizard install from the
Cherokee Market!  Although I'm still trying to make my way through the
installation, from everything I've read, Memcached + Cherokee should
be an awesome combo...
James Isaacs | 6 Jul 09:18 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

I don't think Memcached + Cherokee makes sense on the market. I like
open source web applications on there, but having cherokee mess with
my system software is turning it into something like Webmin or CPanel,
something I'm not looking for in a web server. cherokee-admin is great
for what it is for, the cherokee web server. I'm not one for making it
do everything possible.

Though I do think a front-line cache solution that may detect and use
Memcached would be very cool. Like the MySQL bridge, a Memcached
front-line cache solution just kind of makes sense doesn't it? Maybe
an extension?

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM, armanjava <armanjava <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be great to have Memcached as a wizard install from the
> Cherokee Market!  Although I'm still trying to make my way through the
> installation, from everything I've read, Memcached + Cherokee should
> be an awesome combo...
> _______________________________________________
> Cherokee mailing list
> Cherokee <at> lists.octality.com
> http://lists.octality.com/listinfo/cherokee
>
James Isaacs | 6 Jul 09:23 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

I actually retract what I said. Memcached is really for the
application layer between the database and your choice of CGI. This is
something unique to most platforms, so... I'm not really sure how a
web server can handle this with a common interface.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM, James Isaacs <jimpisaacs <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think Memcached + Cherokee makes sense on the market. I like
> open source web applications on there, but having cherokee mess with
> my system software is turning it into something like Webmin or CPanel,
> something I'm not looking for in a web server. cherokee-admin is great
> for what it is for, the cherokee web server. I'm not one for making it
> do everything possible.
>
> Though I do think a front-line cache solution that may detect and use
> Memcached would be very cool. Like the MySQL bridge, a Memcached
> front-line cache solution just kind of makes sense doesn't it? Maybe
> an extension?
>
>
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM, armanjava <armanjava <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be great to have Memcached as a wizard install from the
>> Cherokee Market!  Although I'm still trying to make my way through the
>> installation, from everything I've read, Memcached + Cherokee should
>> be an awesome combo...
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cherokee mailing list
>> Cherokee <at> lists.octality.com
>> http://lists.octality.com/listinfo/cherokee
>>
>
(Continue reading)

Stefan de Konink | 6 Jul 09:27 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, James Isaacs wrote:

> I actually retract what I said. Memcached is really for the
> application layer between the database and your choice of CGI. This is
> something unique to most platforms, so... I'm not really sure how a
> web server can handle this with a common interface.

As you can see in the bugtracker. I implemented a handler that allows to 
serve memcached content. Based on the content being present in memcached, 
otherwise it would be generated. But this usecase is similar to the 
front-line cache.

Stefan
James Isaacs | 6 Jul 09:35 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

That's what I was initially thinking, but after some more thought, it
makes a lot of sense to use that sort of handler and expanding on it
for use with the MySQL or another database bridge.

Memcached could be used to cache query results, serving results from
Memcached where they have already been set, and the handler could know
when db modifications should delete specific keys from Memcached. This
is a familiar design for many web applications already, so essentially
it could result in a well performant 'out of the box' web API.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan <at> konink.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, James Isaacs wrote:
>
>> I actually retract what I said. Memcached is really for the
>> application layer between the database and your choice of CGI. This is
>> something unique to most platforms, so... I'm not really sure how a
>> web server can handle this with a common interface.
>
> As you can see in the bugtracker. I implemented a handler that allows to
> serve memcached content. Based on the content being present in memcached,
> otherwise it would be generated. But this usecase is similar to the
> front-line cache.
>
> Stefan
>
Stefan de Konink | 6 Jul 09:52 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

In that case you favorite database shpuld implement caching, my  
favorite database already does.

The strengt of memcache is not in caching a database, but cache  
generated pieces of content.

Stefan

Op 6 jul 2011 om 09:35 heeft James Isaacs <jimpisaacs <at> gmail.com> het  
volgende geschreven:\

> That's what I was initially thinking, but after some more thought, it
> makes a lot of sense to use that sort of handler and expanding on it
> for use with the MySQL or another database bridge.
>
> Memcached could be used to cache query results, serving results from
> Memcached where they have already been set, and the handler could know
> when db modifications should delete specific keys from Memcached. This
> is a familiar design for many web applications already, so essentially
> it could result in a well performant 'out of the box' web API.
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan <at> konink.de>  
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, James Isaacs wrote:
>>
>>> I actually retract what I said. Memcached is really for the
>>> application layer between the database and your choice of CGI.  
>>> This is
>>> something unique to most platforms, so... I'm not really sure how a
(Continue reading)

Arman Javaherian | 6 Jul 09:55 2011
Picon

Re: Feature Request: Memcached for Cherokee Market

I actually use it solely to cache API responses.  It cut down the response times from 800 ms --> 50 ms.  Plus it also ensures my API partners are kept happy.  :)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan <at> konink.de> wrote:
In that case you favorite database shpuld implement caching, my favorite database already does.

The strengt of memcache is not in caching a database, but cache generated pieces of content.

Stefan

Op 6 jul 2011 om 09:35 heeft James Isaacs <jimpisaacs <at> gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:\

That's what I was initially thinking, but after some more thought, it
makes a lot of sense to use that sort of handler and expanding on it
for use with the MySQL or another database bridge.

Memcached could be used to cache query results, serving results from
Memcached where they have already been set, and the handler could know
when db modifications should delete specific keys from Memcached. This
is a familiar design for many web applications already, so essentially
it could result in a well performant 'out of the box' web API.


On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan <at> konink.de> wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, James Isaacs wrote:

I actually retract what I said. Memcached is really for the
application layer between the database and your choice of CGI. This is
something unique to most platforms, so... I'm not really sure how a
web server can handle this with a common interface.

As you can see in the bugtracker. I implemented a handler that allows to
serve memcached content. Based on the content being present in memcached,
otherwise it would be generated. But this usecase is similar to the
front-line cache.

Stefan


!DSPAM:1,4e14104725081785578686!


_______________________________________________
Cherokee mailing list
Cherokee <at> lists.octality.com
http://lists.octality.com/listinfo/cherokee

Gmane