I finally get to work on this. I spent a few hour trying to get the Helloworld plugin to work. I know I am a newbie (both Python and Trac) but I think it is very important to have good document for newbie to be able to create a helloworld plugin in short time. I have a few questions regarding this.
1) Naming in setup.py. I am trying to understand how the name works. Let's use example from the link.
from setuptools import find_packages,
entry_points = """
helloworld = myplugs.helloworld
I notice that the name TracHelloworld will be the name of the egg. I don't understand how the naming for [trac.plugins] works. The problem is, I can't get the helloworld plugin to work using this
setup.py. I have to use this one. I change the name of the folder to helloworld and have helloword.py in it.
from setuptools import find_packages
helloworld = helloworld.helloworld
My question would be, why the first setup.py doesn't work?
2) Do I need to add the plugin into the trac.ini to work? If so what name should I use?
Do I use the name of package or the name of the egg? I tried using TracHelloWorld.* = enabeled but that didn't work. After I changed the setup.py to the second one, and use helloworld.* = enabled, it worked.
3) What are considered packages when using find_packages? Are they the folders that is in the same level as the setup.py?
4) How plugins are structured? I start to get confused when I tried to create plugin. Does each module considered a plugin or the package is considered a plugin? When I look at the trac code, I see that many .py files under the same folder (package) such as ticket are included under [
5) If there are many plugin under same package, how can I distinguish between a plugin and normal .py file. I think anything that is considered a plugin should be in the setup file. What about the api.py
, model.py, and notification?
6) What would be your advice on how to design plugin? There are many feature that I would like to create as plugin. I am not sure if I should do it as one plugin or more. Currently, my rule of thumb is to let a plugin have only one new menu.
5) Is it possible to modify the content of Trac's core using plugin? I would like to enhance the results in milestone page for example. I would like to add the capability to view progress by action. I think it is useful to know how many ticket are new, assigned, fixed.
Thanks a lot in advance. I will try to incoperate my new knowlege into the wiki so that it is easier to follow.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Trac Development" group.
To post to this group, send email to trac-dev <at> googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to trac-dev-unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/trac-dev?hl=en