Job Posting: Metadata Librarian at Columbia University Libraries/Information Services
2015-02-13 22:28:26 GMT
Metadata Librarian at Columbia University Libraries/Information Services
The Columbia University Libraries invites applications and
nominations for the position of Metadata Librarian.
The purpose of this position is to develop, document, maintain and apply standards and procedures for creating metadata used to manage, preserve, and provide access to digital content generated by the Libraries and other units within Information Services; to work with the Digital Programs Division and Technology Services Group to ensure and coordinate integration of digital metadata with local and national systems, and to provide full original cataloging for resources in a variety of languages, formats and media.
The position manages research publication metadata curation and identity management for the ColumbiaPARC system and contributes to similar initiatives with other research libraries.
Reporting to the Metadata Coordinator, the incumbent:
1. Assists in metadata creation, application and maintenance for digital and physical objects system-wide. This includes consultations, creating and maintaining documentation, data analysis, training, quality control, data transformation, investigation of new tools & standards, and development of standards and best practices. Provides full original cataloging for resources in a variety of languages, formats and media.
2. Contributes to departmental, division and national cataloging/metadata policy and procedure development by identifying issues, preparing documentation and training, and serving on local, national, and international committees and task forces.
3. Creates and maintains departmental websites, wikis and blogs.
4. Provides technical support for the Libraries, particularly for metadata transformation and remediation tools such as Oxygen, MARCEdit, and Open Refine.
5. Curates research publication data and provides identity management for ColumbiaPARC.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Degree Required:
MLS or PhD or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of metadata format and content
- Working knowledge of identities management systems, including ORCID, VIAF/ISNI.
- Experience in name authority work and disambiguation strategies.
- Working knowledge of cataloging standards and procedures (RDA, MODS, MARC 21, LCSH, FAST).
- Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems.
- Working knowledge of XML/XSLT/XQuery and RDF/SPARQL.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Relevant experience in an academic environment.
- Extensive work in non-MARC metadata creation and curation, experience in providing technical services support for academic repositories and quality control for diverse projects.
- Aptitude for technology.
- Familiarity with linked data concepts.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizational
- Analytical skills and project management skills.
- Aptitude for complex, analytical and detailed work.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Understanding of the research and grant process.
- Ability to work across divisions and with faculty and scholars.
Applications should be submitted through the following link:
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia
provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique
intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic
village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity
and cultural richness of New York City.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.