Job Posting: Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian, UC Santa Barbara
*** Apologies for cross posting ***
Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian
The University of California, Santa Barbara is one of ten campuses that comprise the University of
California system and is a member of the exclusive Association of American Universities (AAU). In
addition, the University Library at UC Santa Barbara is a member of the prestigious Association of
Research Libraries (ARL). In service to the campus’ distinguished research mission, the University
Library is seeking a Metadata Management / Cataloging Librarian, to provide experienced leadership in
planning and managing library metadata quality assurance and authority control activities in the
Library. This newly-created position will work to ensure the metadata quality and data integrity in the
Library catalog and Alexandria Digital Research Library (ADRL), and actively participate in
conventional cataloging and the Library’s NACO activities.
Reporting to the Head, Cataloging & Metadata Services (CMS), the Metadata Management / Cataloging
Librarian is responsible for initiating and directing authority control, metadata quality control,
and bibliographic database problem resolution to ensure metadata and authority records meet local and
national standards. The incumbent works closely with other library staff to establish and document
relevant policies, procedures, and efficient workflows to support the discovery of and access to the
Library’s bibliographic and digital content in the Library Catalog and Alexandria Digital Research
Library through metadata quality assurance, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and
national cataloging and metadata standards. In addition, actively participates in creating or
modifying NACO authority records and other name identifier records. As a part of the catalogers’
learning community in the Library, the incumbent provides training to staff in database maintenance and
data quality control. Participates in original cataloging of print/digital materials in a variety of
formats, and provides descriptive metadata for digital collections as needed. The incumbent will also
coordinate quality control projects for non-MARC metadata from digital collections and supervise
staff, as needed.
* Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program or foreign equivalent.
* Minimum two years of professional cataloging experience. Professional understanding and knowledge of
cataloging procedures and principles, including but not limited to: RDA, AACR2, LC/PCC PS, LCRIs, LC
classification, LCSH, MARC21 bibliographic and authority formats.
* Professional understanding and knowledge of non-MARC metadata schemas, standards, best practices,
and their applications, such as Dublin Core, EAD, VRA Core, MODS, METS, MADS, etc.
* Familiarity with name authority/identifier schemas, such as NACO, ORCID, ISNI, etc.
* Working knowledge and experience with data processing and transformations of XML records using XSLT or
* Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately in a service and production-oriented environment,
and to adapt to a fast paced rapidly changing environment.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituents.
* Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Experience managing authority control processes and/or vendor services.
* Familiarity with batch loading, editing, crosswalking of metadata records using tools, such as
MarcEdit, Oxygen XML Editor.
* Familiarity with ALEPH ILS.
* Reading knowledge of one or more foreign languages.
* Experience and ability to provide cataloging-related training to staff members.
* Experience working directly with software programmers on development projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Librarians at the University of California,
Santa Barbara are professional academic appointees who accrue vacation at the rate of two days per month
and sick leave at the rate of one day per month. The University has an excellent retirement system which is
coordinated with Social Security. A selection of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
are offered by the University.
The incumbent will be a member of the LX Collective Bargaining Unit represented by the American Federation
* This position will remain open until filled with primary consideration of applications received by
April 24, 2015.
* Applications will be accepted online through UC Recruit: https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/apply/JPF00455.
* Help for UC Recruit is available at https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/help/applicants.
* For additional assistance, contact Ryan George with Library Human Resources at (805) 893-3841 or rgeorge@...
* Appointment and/or continued employment is contingent on successful completion of a background check.
The Library is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of
the academic community through work, research, and service. The University of California is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other characteristic
protected by law including protected Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010