Soe Nyun, James | 3 Feb 02:36 2016

Re: MADS XML: Suggested New Elements (Updated)

Hello everyone,

This proposed update to MADS recently reached us over at the Music Library Association’s Encoding Standards Subcommittee of the Cataloging and Metadata Committee. I realize we’re really late to the game, and our comments might be late enough to better consider for a subsequent update. We fully support and applaud adding the suggested RDA elements to the MADS model, but we realized that there are a number of fields devised to record RDA elements for musical works that are not a part of this proposal that we would be interested in seeing incorporated into the vocabulary.

 

These are our main fields of interest for which we’d like to see MADS elements developed. The list of subfields is a starting point and could be added to or subtracted from after further discussion. We think all could be accommodated as subelements under the proposed workInfo element.

 

383—Numeric Designation of a Musical work

$a           Serial number

$b           Opus number

$c           Thematic index number

$e           Publisher associated with opus number

 

384—Key

$a           Key (if possible further broken down by “original key” or “transposed key,” based on indicator values)

 

382—Medium of Performance

This field is one of the most critical for music. However, it is undergoing active change in the MARC arena and it perhaps would be best revisited in six months to a year. To implement fully, fairly intricate structures within a larger medium of performance container would need to be developed.

 

Not exclusively used by music, but important for us are these two:

380 a     Form of work

 

381—Other Distinguishing Characteristics of Work or Expression

$a           Other distinguishing characteristic

 

Best,

Jim Soe Nyun, Chair, Encoding Standards Subcommittee of the Music Library Association’s Cataloging and Metadata Committee.

jsoenyun-XkckGZ689+c@public.gmane.org

 

 

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Melanie Wacker <mw2064-WLbs8XpHrcb2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM
Subject: [MODS] MADS XML: Suggested New Elements (Updated)
To: MODS <at> listserv.loc.gov

Dear MODS and MADS implementers,
based on community feedback, the MODS/MADS Editorial Committee has made some adjustments to the list of proposed new MADS XML elements that we first first posted to this list last October.
The elements are based on the new MARC Authorities elements that have been added in the last few years in support of RDA.
Please see the updated list below. We  are looking forward to any suggestions or feedback. Please post to this list by February 3rd.

Best regards,
Melanie Wacker
on behalf of the MODS/MADS EC

Proposed New MADS elements

Top-level element

Sub-elements

Attributes (all optional)

personInfo

 

birthDate              

encoding, qualifier

deathDate

encoding, qualifier

birthPlace                      

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

deathPlace

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

gender

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

nationality

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

organizationInfo

type

 

startDate 

encoding, qualifier

endDate 

encoding, qualifier

familyInfo                                                                                          type

 

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

hereditaryTitle

 

prominentMember

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

fieldOfEndeavor

 

activity

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink, displayLabel, type

occupation

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

Locale

 

place

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink, type

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

workInfo

 

creationStartDate

encoding, qualifier

creationEndDate

encoding, qualifier

originPlace

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

distinguishingCharacteristic

 

name (existing)

 

namePart (existing)

type (existing) add ”fullerForm”

·         <at> xlink (with either a term for element content or empty content) points to an XML record (person, occupation, geographic, etc.).

·         <at> authority or <at> authorityURI  (with a vocabulary term for element content) indicates the name or links to the list on which that term resides.

·         <at> valueURI (with either a vocabulary term or empty element content) points to the vocabulary term.

Consider also additional attributes both for top level and sub elements:   displayLabel, usage, lang, xml:lang, script, transliteration, encoding, point, qualifier, keydate, ID. 

 

Summary table of MARC Authority elements

 

Element

Used for

marc

MADS XML

 

 

 

 

Birth Date              

 P

046 f

personInfo/birthDate 

Death Date

 P

046 g

personInfo/deathDate

Birth Place                      

 p

370 a

personInfo/birthPlace 

Death Place

 P

370 b

personInfo/deathPlace

Gender

 P

375 a

personInfo/gender

Occupation

 p

374 a

fieldOfEndeavor/occupation

Term of address

 P

368 d

Name/namePart <at> type=”terms ofAddress”

Fuller Name

 P

378 q

Name/namePart <at> type=”fullerForm”

 

 

 

 

Establish Date 

 C

046 q

organizationInfo/startDate

Terminate Date 

 C

046 r

organizationInfo/endDate

Organization Type

 C

368 a, b

organizationInfo <at> type

 

 

 

 

Family Type

 F

376 a

familyInfo <at> type

Prominent Family Member

 F

376 b

familyInfo/prominentMember

Hereditary Title

 F

376 c

familyInfo/ hereditaryTitle

 

 

Affiliation:

affiliation

           Address

 P C

371 a+b+c+d+e

affiliation/address

            Email

 P C

371 m

affiliation/address/email

            Organization

 P C

373 a

affiliation/organization

            Affiliation Start

 P C

373 s

affiliation/dateValid <at> point=”start”

            Affiliation End

 P C

373 t

affiliation/dateValid <at> point=”end”

Field Of Activity   

 P C

372 a

fieldOfEndeavor/activity
Existing field of activity will be depreciated

Activity Start Date

 P C

372 s

fieldOfEndeavor/startDate

Activity End Date

 P C

372 t

fieldOfEndeavor/endDate

 

 

 

 

Associated place

 P C F

370 c, e, or f

locale/place

Start period

 P C F

370 s

locale/startDate

End period

 P C F

370 t

locale/endDate

 

 

 

 

Associated Language

 P C F W

377

language/languageTerm

 

 

 

 

Creation Date Start 

 W

046 k

workInfo/creationStartDate

Creation Date End 

 W

046 l

workInfo/creationEndDate

Work Origin 

 W

370 g

workInfo/originPlace

Other Characteristic

 W

381 a

workInfo/ distinguishingCharacteristic

 

Subirats, Imma (OPCC | 22 Jan 10:28 2016

DEADLINE fast approaching: OR2016 Proposals due Feb 1

From the Open Repositories Conference 2016 organizers

January 20, 2016

Read it online: http://or2016.net/call-for-papers/

Call for Proposals for Open Repositories 2016: Illuminating the World

The Eleventh International Conference on Open Repositories, OR2016, will be held on June 13th-16th, 2016in Dublin, Ireland. The organizers are pleased to issue this call for contributions to the program.

As previous Open Repositories have demonstrated, the use of digital repositories to manage research, scholarly and cultural information is well established and increasingly mature. Entering our second decade, we have an opportunity to reflect on where we’ve been and, more importantly, where we’re heading. New development continues apace, and we’ve reached the time when many organizations are exploring expansive connections with larger processes both inside and outside traditional boundaries. Open Repositories 2016 will explore how our rich collections and infrastructure are now an inherent part of contemporary scholarship and research and how they have expanded to touch many aspects of our academic and cultural enterprises.

The theme of OR2016 is “Illuminating the World.” OR2016 will provide an opportunity to explore the ways in which repositories and related infrastructure and processes:

*             bring different disciplines, collections, and people to light;
*             expose research, scholarship, and collections from developing countries;
*             increase openness of collections, software, data and workflows;
*             highlight data patterns and user pathways through collections; and
*             how we can organize to better support these - and other - infrastructures.

We welcome proposals on these ideas, but also on the theoretical, practical, technical, organizational or administrative topics related to digital repositories.  Submissions that demonstrate original and repository-related work outside of these themes will be considered, but preference will be given to submissions which address them. We are particularly interested in the following themes.

1.  Supporting Open Scholarship, Open Data, and Open Science

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can best support the needs of open science and open scholarship to make research as accessible and useful as possible, including:

*             Open access, open data and open educational resources
*             Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific knowledge
*             Exposure of research and scholarship from developing countries and under-resourced communities and disciplines
*             Compliance with funder mandates

2. Repositories and Cultural Heritage

Papers are invited to consider how repositories and their associated infrastructures best support the needs of cultural heritage collections, organizations, and researchers. Areas of interest include:

*             Impact of aggregation on repository infrastructure and management
*             Exposure of collections and cultural heritage from developing countries and under-resourced communities and disciplines
*             Special considerations in access and use of cultural heritage collections
*             Reuse and analysis of content.

3. Repositories of high volume and/or complex data and collections

Papers are invited to consider how we can use tools and processes to highlight data patterns and user pathways through large corporas including:

*             Data and text mining
*             Entity recognition
*             Linked data
*             Standardized interfaces
*             Interaction with large-scale computation and simulation processes
*             Issues of scale and size beyond traditional repository contexts

4. Managing Research Data, Software, and Workflows

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can support the needs of research data and related software and workflows. Areas of interest are:

*             Curation lifecycle management, including storage, software and workflows
*             Digital preservation tools and services
*             Reuse and analysis of scientific content
*             Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific knowledge 

5. Integrating with the Wider Web and External Systems

Papers are invited to explore, evaluate, or demonstrate integration with external systems, including: 

*             CRIS and research management systems
*             Notification and compliance tracking systems
*             Identifier services
*             Preservation services and repositories
*             Publisher systems
*             Collection management systems and workflows

6. Exploring Metrics, Assessment, and Impact

Papers are invited to present experiences on metrics and assessment services for a range of content, including:

*             Bibliometrics
*             Downloads (e.g. COUNTER compliance)
*             Altmetrics and other alternative methods of tracking and presenting impact 

7. Managing Rights

Papers are invited to examine the role of rights management in the context of open repositories, including:

*             Research and scholarly communication outputs
*             Licenses (e.g. Creative Commons, Open Data Commons)
*             Embargoes
*             Requirements of funder mandates 

8. Developing and Training Staff 

Papers are invited to consider the evolving role of staff who support and manage repositories across libraries, cultural heritage organizations, research offices and computer centres, especially: 

*             New roles and responsibilities
*             Training needs and opportunities
*             Career path and recruitment
*             Community support 

KEY DATES 

*             01 February 2016: Deadline for submissions and Scholarship Programme applications
*             01 February 2016: Registration opens
*             28 March 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to general conference
*             11 April 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to Interest Groups
*             13-16 June 2016: OR2016 conference 

SUBMISSION PROCESS 

Conference Papers and Panels
We expect that proposals for papers or panels will be two to four-pages (see below for optional Proposal Templates). Abstracts of accepted papers and panels will be made available through the conference's web site, and later they and associated materials will be made available in an open repository. In general, sessions will have three papers; panels may take an entire session or may be combined with a paper. Relevant papers unsuccessful in the main track will be considered for inclusion, as appropriate, as an Interest Group presentation, poster or 24/7. 

Interest Group Presentations
The opportunity to engage with and learn more about the work of relevant communities of interest is a key element of Open Repositories. One to two page proposals are invited for presentations or panels that focus on the work of such communities, traditionally DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, and Invenio, describing novel experiences or developments in the construction and use of repositories involving issues specific to these technical platforms. Further information about applications for additional Interest Groups and guidance on submissions will be forthcoming. 

24x7 Presentations
24x7 presentations are 7 minute presentations comprising no more than 24 slides. Proposals for 24x7 presentations should be one to two-pages. Similar to Pecha Kuchas or Lightning Talks, these 24x7 presentations will be grouped into blocks based on conference themes, with each block followed by a moderated discussion / question and answer session involving the audience and whole block of presenters. This format will provide conference goers with a fast-paced survey of like work across many institutions, and presenters the chance to disseminate their work in more depth and context than a traditional poster.

"Repository RANTS" 24x7 Block
One block of 24x7's will revolve around "repository rants": brief exposés that challenge the conventional wisdom or practice, and highlight what the repository community is doing that is misguided, or perhaps just missing altogether. The top proposals will be incorporated into a track meant to provoke unconventional approaches to repository services. 

"Repository RAVES" 24x7 Block
One block of 24x7's at OR2016 will revolve around "repository raves": brief exposés that celebrate particular practice and processes, and highlight what the repository community is doing that is right. The top proposals will be incorporated into a track meant to celebrate successful approaches to repository services. 

Posters
We invite one-page proposals for posters that showcase current work. Attendees will view and discuss your work during the poster reception. 

2016 Developer Track: Top Tips, Cunning Code and Illuminating Insights
Each year a significant proportion of the delegates at Open Repositories are software developers who work on repository software or related services. OR2016 will feature a Developer Track and Ideas Challenge that will provide a focus for showcasing work and exchanging ideas. 

Building on the success of last year's Developer Track, where we encouraged live hacking and audience participation, we invite members of the technical community to share the features, systems, tools and best practices that are important to you.  Presentations can be as informal as you like, but once again we encourage live demonstrations, tours of code repositories, examples of cool features and the unique viewpoints that so many members of our community possess.  Submissions should take the form of a title and a brief outline of what will be shared with the community. 

Further details and guidance on the Ideas Challenge will be forthcoming. 

Developers are also encouraged to contribute to the other tracks as papers, posters, 24x7 presentations, repository raves and rants 24x7 blocks.

Workshops and Tutorials
One to two-page proposals for workshops and tutorials addressing theoretical or practical issues around digital repositories are welcomed. Please address the following in your proposal:

*             The subject of the event and what knowledge you intend to convey
*             Length of session (e.g., 1-hour, 2-hour, half a day or a whole day)
*             A brief statement on the learning outcomes from the session
*             How many attendees you plan to accommodate
*             Technology and facility requirements
*             Any other supplies or support required
*             Anything else you believe is pertinent to carrying out the session 

Proposal Templates

The OR2016 proposal templates are a guideline to help you prepare an effective submission. They will be provided in both the Word document and plain-text Markdown formats and provide details around the requirements for conference papers and panels and 24/7's and posters. These will be available from the conference website shortly.

Submission system

The conference system will be open for submissions by 15 December 2015. PDF format is preferred.

CODE OF CONDUCT 

We will be publishing guidelines for conduct at OR2016. As a reference, the OR2015 Code of Conduct is available at http://www.or2015.net/code-of-conduct/ and the 2015 Anti-Harrassment Policy is at http://www.or2015.net/anti-harassment-policy/.

SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME 

OR2016 will again run a Scholarship Programme which will enable us to provide support for a small number of full registered places (including the poster reception and banquet) for the conference in Dublin. The programme is open to librarians, repository managers, developers and researchers in digital libraries and related fields. Applicants submitting a paper for the conference will be given priority consideration for funding. Please note that the programme does not cover costs such as accommodation, travel and subsistence. It is anticipated that the applicant’s home institution will provide financial support to supplement the OR Scholarship Award. Full details and an application form will shortly be available on the conference website.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Program Co-Chairs

*             David Minor, University of California, San Diego
*             Matthias Razum, FIZ Karlsruhe
*             Sarah Shreeves, University of Miami 

contact: or16-program-chairs-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org 

Local Hosts

*             Trinity College Dublin <https://www.tcd.ie/>
contact: OR2016 <at> conferencepartners.ie 

Conference Website and Social Media 

*             website: http://or2016.net/
*             twitter: <at> OR2016Dub and #or2016Dub
*             Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ORConference/
 

Best regards,

 

Imma Subirats Coll

Information Management Officer

Partnerships, Advocacy and Capacity Development Division (OPC)

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)

Viale delle terme di Caracalla

00153 Rome, Italy

Tel: +39 06 570 54301

Skype: immasubirats

 

 

Melanie Wacker | 20 Jan 23:29 2016

MADS XML: Suggested New Elements (Updated)

Dear MODS and MADS implementers,
based on community feedback, the MODS/MADS Editorial Committee has made some adjustments to the list of proposed new MADS XML elements that we first first posted to this list last October.
The elements are based on the new MARC Authorities elements that have been added in the last few years in support of RDA.
Please see the updated list below. We  are looking forward to any suggestions or feedback. Please post to this list by February 3rd.

Best regards,
Melanie Wacker
on behalf of the MODS/MADS EC

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ <at> font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} <at> page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Proposed New MADS elements

Top-level element

Sub-elements

Attributes (all optional)

personInfo

 

birthDate              

encoding, qualifier

deathDate

encoding, qualifier

birthPlace                      

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

deathPlace

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

gender

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

nationality

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

organizationInfo

type

 

startDate 

encoding, qualifier

endDate 

encoding, qualifier

familyInfo                                                                                          type

 

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

hereditaryTitle

 

prominentMember

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

fieldOfEndeavor

 

activity

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink, displayLabel, type

occupation

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

Locale

 

place

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink, type

startDate

encoding, qualifier

endDate

encoding, qualifier

workInfo

 

creationStartDate

encoding, qualifier

creationEndDate

encoding, qualifier

originPlace

authority, authorityURI, valueURI, xlink

distinguishingCharacteristic

 

name (existing)

 

namePart (existing)

type (existing) add ”fullerForm”

·         <at> xlink (with either a term for element content or empty content) points to an XML record (person, occupation, geographic, etc.).

·         <at> authority or <at> authorityURI  (with a vocabulary term for element content) indicates the name or links to the list on which that term resides.

·         <at> valueURI (with either a vocabulary term or empty element content) points to the vocabulary term.

Consider also additional attributes both for top level and sub elements:   displayLabel, usage, lang, xml:lang, script, transliteration, encoding, point, qualifier, keydate, ID. 

 

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ <at> font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} <at> page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> Summary table of MARC Authority elements


Element

Used for

marc

MADS XML

 

 

 

 

Birth Date              

 P

046 f

personInfo/birthDate 

Death Date

 P

046 g

personInfo/deathDate

Birth Place                      

 p

370 a

personInfo/birthPlace 

Death Place

 P

370 b

personInfo/deathPlace

Gender

 P

375 a

personInfo/gender

Occupation

 p

374 a

fieldOfEndeavor/occupation

Term of address

 P

368 d

Name/namePart <at> type=”terms ofAddress”

Fuller Name

 P

378 q

Name/namePart <at> type=”fullerForm”

 

 

 

 

Establish Date 

 C

046 q

organizationInfo/startDate

Terminate Date 

 C

046 r

organizationInfo/endDate

Organization Type

 C

368 a, b

organizationInfo <at> type

 

 

 

 

Family Type

 F

376 a

familyInfo <at> type

Prominent Family Member

 F

376 b

familyInfo/prominentMember

Hereditary Title

 F

376 c

familyInfo/ hereditaryTitle

 

 

Affiliation:

affiliation

           Address

 P C

371 a+b+c+d+e

affiliation/address

            Email

 P C

371 m

affiliation/address/email

            Organization

 P C

373 a

affiliation/organization

            Affiliation Start

 P C

373 s

affiliation/dateValid <at> point=”start”

            Affiliation End

 P C

373 t

affiliation/dateValid <at> point=”end”

Field Of Activity   

 P C

372 a

fieldOfEndeavor/activity
Existing field of activity will be depreciated

Activity Start Date

 P C

372 s

fieldOfEndeavor/startDate

Activity End Date

 P C

372 t

fieldOfEndeavor/endDate

 

 

 

 

Associated place

 P C F

370 c, e, or f

locale/place

Start period

 P C F

370 s

locale/startDate

End period

 P C F

370 t

locale/endDate

 

 

 

 

Associated Language

 P C F W

377

language/languageTerm

 

 

 

 

Creation Date Start 

 W

046 k

workInfo/creationStartDate

Creation Date End 

 W

046 l

workInfo/creationEndDate

Work Origin 

 W

370 g

workInfo/originPlace

Other Characteristic

 W

381 a

workInfo/ distinguishingCharacteristic

Subirats, Imma (OPCC | 4 Dec 13:31 2015

CALL for Proposals for Open Repositories 2016

From the Open Repositories Conference 2016 organizers

December 1, 2015

Read it online: http://or2016.net/call-for-papers/

* Call for Proposals for Open Repositories 2016: Illuminating the World *

The Eleventh International Conference on Open Repositories, OR2016, will be held on June 13th-16th, 2016in Dublin, Ireland. The organizers are pleased to issue this call for contributions to the program.

As previous Open Repositories have demonstrated, the use of digital repositories to manage research, scholarly and cultural information is well established and increasingly mature. Entering our second decade, we have an opportunity to reflect on where we’ve been and, more importantly, where we’re heading. New development continues apace, and we’ve reached the time when many organizations are exploring expansive connections with larger processes both inside and outside traditional boundaries. Open Repositories 2016 will explore how our rich collections and infrastructure are now an inherent part of contemporary scholarship and research and how they have expanded to touch many aspects of our academic and cultural enterprises.

The theme of OR2016 is “Illuminating the World.” OR2016 will provide an opportunity to explore the ways in which repositories and related infrastructure and processes:

*  bring different disciplines, collections, and people to light;
*  expose research, scholarship, and collections from developing countries;
*  increase openness of collections, software, data and workflows;
*  highlight data patterns and user pathways through collections; and
*  how we can organize to better support these - and other - infrastructures.

We welcome proposals on these ideas, but also on the theoretical, practical, technical, organizational or administrative topics related to digital repositories.  Submissions that demonstrate original and repository-related work outside of these themes will be considered, but preference will be given to submissions which address them. We are particularly interested in the following themes.

1.  Supporting Open Scholarship, Open Data, and Open Science

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can best support the needs of open science and open scholarship to make research as accessible and useful as possible, including:

*  Open access, open data and open educational resources
*  Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific knowledge
*  Exposure of research and scholarship from developing countries and under-resourced communities and disciplines
*  Compliance with funder mandates

2. Repositories and Cultural Heritage

Papers are invited to consider how repositories and their associated infrastructures best support the needs of cultural heritage collections, organizations, and researchers. Areas of interest include:

*  Impact of aggregation on repository infrastructure and management
*  Exposure of collections and cultural heritage from developing countries and under-resourced communities and disciplines
*  Special considerations in access and use of cultural heritage collections
*  Reuse and analysis of content.

3. Repositories of high volume and/or complex data and collections

Papers are invited to consider how we can use tools and processes to highlight data patterns and user pathways through large corporas including:

*  Data and text mining
*  Entity recognition
*  Linked data
*  Standardized interfaces
*  Interaction with large-scale computation and simulation processes
*  Issues of scale and size beyond traditional repository contexts

4. Managing Research Data, Software, and Workflows

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can support the needs of research data and related software and workflows. Areas of interest are:

*  Curation lifecycle management, including storage, software and workflows
*  Digital preservation tools and services
*  Reuse and analysis of scientific content
*  Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific knowledge

5. Integrating with the Wider Web and External Systems

Papers are invited to explore, evaluate, or demonstrate integration with external systems, including:

*  CRIS and research management systems
*  Notification and compliance tracking systems
*  Identifier services
*  Preservation services and repositories
*  Publisher systems
*  Collection management systems and workflows

6. Exploring Metrics, Assessment, and Impact

Papers are invited to present experiences on metrics and assessment services for a range of content, including:

*  Bibliometrics
*  Downloads (e.g. COUNTER compliance)
*  Altmetrics and other alternative methods of tracking and presenting impact

7. Managing Rights

Papers are invited to examine the role of rights management in the context of open repositories, including:

*  Research and scholarly communication outputs
*  Licenses (e.g. Creative Commons, Open Data Commons)
*  Embargoes
*  Requirements of funder mandates

8. Developing and Training Staff

Papers are invited to consider the evolving role of staff who support and manage repositories across libraries, cultural heritage organizations, research offices and computer centres, especially:

*  New roles and responsibilities
*  Training needs and opportunities
*  Career path and recruitment
*  Community support

KEY DATES

*  01 February 2016: Deadline for submissions and Scholarship Programme applications
*  01 February 2016: Registration opens
*  28 March 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to general conference
*  11 April 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to Interest Groups
*  13-16 June 2016: OR2016 conference
 
SUBMISSION PROCESS

*  Conference Papers and Panels *  
We expect that proposals for papers or panels will be two to four-pages (see below for optional Proposal Templates). Abstracts of accepted papers and panels will be made available through the conference's web site, and later they and associated materials will be made available in an open repository. In general, sessions will have three papers; panels may take an entire session or may be combined with a paper. Relevant papers unsuccessful in the main track will be considered for inclusion, as appropriate, as an Interest Group presentation, poster or 24/7.

*  Interest Group Presentations *
The opportunity to engage with and learn more about the work of relevant communities of interest is a key element of Open Repositories. One to two page proposals are invited for presentations or panels that focus on the work of such communities, traditionally DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, and Invenio, describing novel experiences or developments in the construction and use of repositories involving issues specific to these technical platforms. Further information about applications for additional Interest Groups and guidance on submissions will be forthcoming.

*  24x7 Presentations *
24x7 presentations are 7 minute presentations comprising no more than 24 slides. Proposals for 24x7 presentations should be one to two-pages. Similar to Pecha Kuchas or Lightning Talks, these 24x7 presentations will be grouped into blocks based on conference themes, with each block followed by a moderated discussion / question and answer session involving the audience and whole block of presenters. This format will provide conference goers with a fast-paced survey of like work across many institutions, and presenters the chance to disseminate their work in more depth and context than a traditional poster.

*  "Repository RANTS" 24x7 Block *
One block of 24x7's will revolve around "repository rants": brief exposés that challenge the conventional wisdom or practice, and highlight what the repository community is doing that is misguided, or perhaps just missing altogether. The top proposals will be incorporated into a track meant to provoke unconventional approaches to repository services.

*  "Repository RAVES" 24x7 Block *
One block of 24x7's at OR2016 will revolve around "repository raves": brief exposés that celebrate particular practice and processes, and highlight what the repository community is doing that is right. The top proposals will be incorporated into a track meant to celebrate successful approaches to repository services.

*  Posters *
We invite one-page proposals for posters that showcase current work. Attendees will view and discuss your work during the poster reception.
 
*  2016 Developer Track: Top Tips, Cunning Code and Illuminating Insights *
Each year a significant proportion of the delegates at Open Repositories are software developers who work on repository software or related services. OR2016 will feature a Developer Track and Ideas Challenge that will provide a focus for showcasing work and exchanging ideas. Building on the success of last year's Developer Track, where we encouraged live hacking and audience participation, we invite members of the technical community to share the features, systems, tools and best practices that are important to you.  Presentations can be as informal as you like, but once again we encourage live demonstrations, tours of code repositories, examples of cool features and the unique viewpoints that so many members of our community possess.  Submissions should take the form of a title and a brief outline of what will be shared with the community. Further details and guidance on the Ideas Challenge will be forthcoming. Developers are also encouraged to contribute to the other tracks as papers, posters, 24x7 presentations, repository raves and rants 24x7 blocks.

*  Workshops and Tutorials *
One to two-page proposals for workshops and tutorials addressing theoretical or practical issues around digital repositories are welcomed. Please address the following in your proposal:

*  The subject of the event and what knowledge you intend to convey
*  Length of session (e.g., 1-hour, 2-hour, half a day or a whole day)
*  A brief statement on the learning outcomes from the session
*  How many attendees you plan to accommodate
*  Technology and facility requirements
*  Any other supplies or support required
*  Anything else you believe is pertinent to carrying out the session

Proposal Templates

The OR2016 proposal templates are a guideline to help you prepare an effective submission. They will be provided in both the Word document and plain-text Markdown formats and provide details around the requirements for conference papers and panels and 24/7's and posters. These will be available from the conference website shortly.

Submission system

The conference system will be open for submissions by 15 December 2015. PDF format is preferred.

CODE OF CONDUCT

We will be publishing guidelines for conduct at OR2016. As a reference, the OR2015 Code of Conduct is available at http://www.or2015.net/code-of-conduct/ and the 2015 Anti-Harrassment Policy is athttp://www.or2015.net/anti-harassment-policy/.

SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME

OR2016 will again run a Scholarship Programme which will enable us to provide support for a small number of full registered places (including the poster reception and banquet) for the conference in Dublin. The programme is open to librarians, repository managers, developers and researchers in digital libraries and related fields. Applicants submitting a paper for the conference will be given priority consideration for funding. Please note that the programme does not cover costs such as accommodation, travel and subsistence. It is anticipated that the applicant’s home institution will provide financial support to supplement the OR Scholarship Award. Full details and an application form will shortly be available on the conference website.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Program Co-Chairs

* David Minor, University of California, San Diego
* Matthias Razum, FIZ Karlsruhe
* Sarah Shreeves, University of Miami

contact: or16-program-chairs-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org

Local Hosts

* Trinity College Dublin <https://www.tcd.ie/>

contact: OR2016-8PHf0o9tX6clpRfDdXbNOw11L5JonOXg@public.gmane.org

Conference Website and Social Media

* website: http://or2016.net/
* twitter: <at> OR2016Dub and #or2016Dub
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ORConference/

 

Best regards,

 

Imma Subirats Coll

Information Management Officer

Office of Partnerships, Advocacy and Capacity Development

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)

Viale delle terme di Caracalla

00153 Rome, Italy

Tel: +39 06 570 54301

Skype: immasubirats

 

 

 

 

Michele R Combs | 22 Oct 23:11 2015
Picon

Help finding PBCore vocab

OK collective wisdom, my google-fu is failing me.

Where can I find the pbCore CreatorRole and ContributorRole vocabularies?   I can find information ABOUT
them, and descriptions OF them, but I can't find the actual list of actual vocab terms anywhere.  I know I
found it at some point, because I have a small subset of them in my notes labelled "pbcore roles" but of
course I didn't write down the URL.

I have tried The Registry (http://metadataregistry.org), but their search is, shall we say, less than
helpful (e.g. the PBCore instantiationPhysical vocab is in fact in there, but a search on it tells me there
are no results).  I struggled there for half an hour and now I just want to gnaw my own foot off and run away.

So, if anyone has a direct URL to the full list of vocab terms, I will be most grateful.

Apologies to those of you who get this more than once due to cross-posting.

Thanks

Michele
+++++++++
Michele Combs | Lead Archivist
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Ave
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443-2081 | e mrrothen@... | w scrc.syr.edu
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

Melanie Wacker | 16 Oct 22:27 2015

MADS XML: Suggested New Elements

Dear MODS and MADS implementers,
The MODS/MADS Editorial Committee is considering changes to MADS XML. A number of elements have been added to MARC Authorities in the last few years in support of RDA. RDF properties corresponding to these fields are being added to id.loc.gov to support the ongoing Library of Congress BIBFRAME pilot, which uses id.loc.gov for name and subject data.
Based on this development, the MODS/MADS Editorial Committee is considering the addition of a number of elements to MADS XML as well. Please see the following table. We very much invite your comments. Please submit them by  November 27th by posting to the MODS listserv.

Regards,
Melanie Wacker
on behalf of the MODS/MADS EC


(* indicates fields already in MADS XML)

Element from MARC/RDA

MARC map

Caption in ID

Birth Date

046 f

Birth Date

Death Date

046 g

Death Date

Birth Place

370 a

Birth Place

Death Place

370 b

Death Place

Entity Descriptor

368 a,b, or c; 376 a

Descriptor

Honorary Title

368 d; 376 c

Honorary Title

Associated Locale

370 c, e, or f

Associated Locale

Occupation

374 a

Occupation

Gender

375 a

Gender

Prominent Family Member

376 b

Family Member

Associated Language

377 a(code), l(term)

Associated Language

Activity Start Date

046 s

Activity Start

Activity End Date

046 t

Activity End

Establish Date 

046 q

Established

Terminate Date 

046 r

Terminated

Fuller Name

378 q

Fuller Name

Creation Date Start 

046 k

Work Begun

Creaton Date End 

046 l

Work Finished

Work Origin 

370 g

Work Locale

Other Chararacteristic

381 a

Other Characteristic

Affiliation

   *Affiliation Address

   *Email

   *Organization

   *Affiliation Start

   *Affiliation End

 

371 a+b+c+d+e

371 m

373 a

373 s

373 t

Has Affiliation

Affiliation Address

Email

Organization

Affiliation Started

Affiliation Ended

*Field Of Activity   

372 a + s + t

Field of Activity



Thomas Scheffler | 6 Oct 10:05 2015
Picon
Picon

Critical XML Schema bugs

Dear MODS users and officials,

recently we updated our code to support MODS 3.6 and the new 
nameIdentifier which uses the type definition "identifierDefinition":

<xs:complexType name="identifierDefinition">
   <xs:simpleContent>
     <xs:extension base="stringPlusLanguage">
     <xs:attribute name="displayLabel" type="xs:string"/>
     <xs:attribute name="type" type="xs:string"/>
     <xs:attribute name="typeURI" type="xs:anyURI"/>
     <xs:attribute name="invalid" fixed="yes"/>
     <xs:attribute name="altRepGroup" type="xs:string"/>
     </xs:extension>
   </xs:simpleContent>
</xs:complexType>

Problematic is the fact that  <at> invalid is set to fixed="yes". When you 
use a schema aware parser to parse a MODS document this will actually 
attach a  <at> invalid="yes" on every element of "identifierDefinition" (like 
"identifier" or "nameIdentifier") that is missing that attribute.

XML Schema part 1, section 3.2.1:
"[..] fixed indicates that the attribute value if present must equal the 
supplied constraint value, and if absent receives the supplied value as 
for default."

This bug is not introduced in 3.6 but is also in older versions of MODS.

Currently all identifier|nameIdentifier get an 'invalid' label. 
Obviously this is not way it was intended.

Can you please publish updated versions of affected MODS Schema documents?

Kind regards,

Thomas
--

-- 
Thomas Scheffler
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
Thüringer Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek
Bibliotheksplatz 2
07743 Jena
Phone: ++49 3641 940027
FAX:   ++49 3641 940022

Rachel M Tillay | 21 Sep 22:20 2015

Job posting - Metadata Librarian, Louisiana State University Libraries

LSU Libraries

Metadata Librarian (tenure-track) 

 

The LSU Libraries is seeking a collaborative, innovative, and service-oriented librarian to provide leadership and expertise in the development and implementation of creative and sustainable metadata strategies to support digital initiatives. Under the direction of the head of Resource Description and Metadata Services the Metadata Librarian will provide leadership for the department’s creation and management of metadata. 

 

The Metadata Librarian will work as part of a collaborative team of librarians, archivists, and developers to make a diverse set of resources accessible and discoverable. He/she will have a thorough understanding of the various standards, practices, and emerging technologies required for effective management of digital content and will lead the selection and development of metadata standards, ontologies, policies, procedures, and workflows for digital resources. He/she will engage in authority control processes to provide intellectual control over the application of personal, corporate and place names as component of the metadata process. He/she will work with library staff to establish and maintain local policies and procedures for bibliographic and metadata services, projects, and other activities that impact the libraries integrated library system and overall access to the collections.

 

Responsibilities

 

50%        Coordinates the development and implementation of metadata to support the discovery and management of the Libraries’ digital content, such as research data, digital scholarship, digitized content, and born-digital archives; Designs, documents, guides, and manages the processes and schemas of metadata for digital projects and repository collections; Defines strategies and creates guidelines for the authoring, harvesting, enhancement, transformation, and remediation of digital metadata; Ensures consistency in the selection of metadata schema, thesauri, stylesheets, crosswalks, and data elements.

 

25%        Engages in authority control processes to provide intellectual control over the application of personal names, corporate names, and place names as components of the metadata process.

15%        Works to fulfill tenure and promotion requirements.

 

10%        Provides leadership and training related to digital collection metadata creation and management for staff in Resource Description and Metadata Services and other Libraries’ departments; Conducts and contributes to departmental outreach when needed, such as presentations, exhibits, and publications.

 

REQUIRED

ALA-accredited master’s degree at time of application; Knowledge of current metadata standards, such as BIBFRAME, RDA, Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS, RDF and other emerging data standards; Experience with OCLC; Ability to manage a variety of tasks and multiple priorities; Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, organize and complete projects; Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills; Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a collegial environment.

 

PREFERRED

Experience with managing collections in Fedora Commons, CONTENTdm or another platform. Familiarity with semantic web and linked data; Demonstrated skills with tools for data manipulation, such as Open Refine, XSLT, or a scripting language such as Perl, Ruby, or Python; Experience with an integrated library system, preferably SIRSI/Dynix.; Responsiveness and willingness to work on special projects or assignments; Proven ability to write and implement procedures; analytical; Instruction/training skills.

 

Rachel Tillay
Digital Projects Librarian
Digital Services
Louisiana State University
Middleton Library, Baton Rouge, LA  70803
office 225-578-0550
rtilla1 <at> lsu.edu | lsu.edu | lib.lsu.edu/services/digital

 

McCallum, Sally | 3 Sep 23:29 2015
Picon

Problem with listservs

The Library has had problems with its listservs since the shutdown last weekend (for a test of power backup).  Please save any messages you may have tried to send, that bounced, and send them again in a few days when we expect things to normalize.   We apologize for the inconvenience.  We think that messages originating inside LC are distributed, so expect that you will receive this “bulletin”. 

 

Sally

 

***********************************

Sally H. McCallum

Chief, Network Development and MARC Standards Office

Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE

Washington, DC 20540  USA

smcc-+hwoy1Po9Oc@public.gmane.org

Tel: 1-202-707-5119 – Fax 1-202-707-0115

***********************************

 

Trail, Nate | 27 Aug 19:53 2015
Picon

Re: LC System Maintenance (beginning 5PM Frday August 28, 2015)

Dear All,

[sorry for cross-postings]

Beginning Friday and continuing through the weekend, LC will perform major system maintenance.  All LC
systems and websites will be taken offline during this time.  This includes ID.LOC.GOV as well as LOC
metadata standards and schema sites.
See http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2015/15-A02.html .

  Maintenance is scheduled to begin Friday 28 at 5PM EDT and to be completed by Monday 30 August at 6:00AM EDT.

We hope service to ID.LOC.GOV will be restored sooner than the closing of the scheduled maintenance
window.  

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Nate

-----------------------------------------
Nate Trail
Network Development & MARC Standards Office LS/ABA/NDMSO LA308, Mail Stop 4402  Library of Congress
Washington DC 20540

Alexander, Mary | 20 Aug 18:03 2015

FW: MODS Implementation Registry and Tools -- 2015 Update

Please replace the contact person and associated email address to:

 

Jody L. DeRidder, Head of Metadata & Digital Services

jlderidder-h0oRs45ZYI8@public.gmane.org

 

Thank you!

 

my best,

Mary

 

 

Mary S. Alexander

Metadata Librarian/Associate Professor

Metadata and Digital Services

Box 870266

University of Alabama Libraries

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

 

malexand-h0oRs45ZYI8@public.gmane.org

voice: 205-348-1490

fax: 205-348-1699

 

 

 

 

From: DeRidder, Jody
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:58 AM
To: Alexander, Mary
Subject: RE: MODS Implementation Registry and Tools -- 2015 Update

 

Would you please take care of that, Mary?  I would be grateful.

 

Jody L. DeRidder
Head, Metadata & Digital Services
University of Alabama Libraries
Tuscaloosa, AL  35487
Phone: 205.348.0511
Fax: 205.348.1699
jlderidder-h0oRs45ZYI8@public.gmane.org

From: Alexander, Mary
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:33 AM
To: DeRidder, Jody
Subject: FW: MODS Implementation Registry and Tools -- 2015 Update

Hi Jody,

 

Our contact information and maybe version should be updated on the Library of Congress Registry for MODS.

 

It is currently:

 

 

 

From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:MODS-0lvw86wZMd/ipf4q2MuE5g@public.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Meehleib, Tracy
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:03 PM
To: MODS-0lvw86wZMd/ipf4q2MuE5g@public.gmane.org
Subject: [MODS] MODS Implementation Registry and Tools -- 2015 Update

 

Hi MODS Users,

 

We are in the process of updating the MODS Implementation Registry and Tools for MODS pages and would like to add any new projects/tools that are currently available to the community.

 

If you would like your projects/tools to be included, please supply information for each category in the MODS Implementation Registry http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/registry.php and/or Tools for MODS page http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/tools_for_mods.php , and we will add your projects/tools to the registry.

 

If you have already registered an implementation or a tool, please take a moment to review the entry for it and send us any new information we might need to bring the entry up to date.

 

Thank you, Tracy

 

Tracy Meehleib
Network Development and MARC Standards Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington, DC 20540-4402
+1 202 707 0121 (voice)
+1 202 707 0115 (fax)

tmee-+hwoy1Po9Oc@public.gmane.org

 

 


Gmane