Gordon Royle | 4 Jan 19:45 2008
Picon
Picon

Mixing PGF and Tikz?

Hi all

I have some old diagrams done in PGF (using things like\pgfpicture,  
\pgfnodecircle, \pgfnodeconnline etc), but they no longer compile  
using the most recent installation

I get errors like

! Undefined control sequence.
\pgf <at> anglecircle #1#2#3#4->\pgfsincos
                                       {#3}\setlength \pgf <at> xa {#1} 
\addtolengt...

Do I need to redo these using the Tikz commands or is there a  
"compatibility mode" or something like that?

Thanks

--
Associate Professor Gordon Royle
School of Computer Science & Software Engineering / School of  
Mathematics & Statistics
University of Western Australia
http://people.csse.uwa.edu.au/gordon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
(Continue reading)

Michael Kubovy | 9 Jan 17:44 2008

Question about repeated commands

Dear PGF users,

Can anyone suggest a more compact way to fill a 4.4 x 4.4 in square  
region -- centered at (10, 0) -- with random dots?

				\foreach \position in
							{(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),  
(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,  
(Continue reading)

Gordon Royle | 9 Jan 17:55 2008
Picon
Picon

[Slightly off topic] Creating press quality PDF

Dear PGFers

Slightly off topic as this is not *specific* to PGF/Tikz but I need  
advice from someone with expert knowledge of document preparation and  
PDF, and I know that several such people frequent this list..

Here is my problem:

I am editor of a small mathematics journal that runs on a shoestring  
budget. To construct each issue, we have to create a "press quality  
PDF" to send to the (commercial) printers who have basically  
instructed us to "only use Acrobat Distiller" and to embed ALL fonts.

However we are having major problems with font embedding in the PDF  
(and this is where I start to lose grip on what is happening).

- authors include EPS figures in their papers that refer to  
Postscript fonts such as Times-Roman
- dvips does not seem to be able to embed fonts that are referred to  
in EPS figures
- Distiller sees the reference to Times-Roman and complains that it  
cannot find it, and refuses to embed a substitute font (though it  
will use a substitute font for screen viewing)

Perhaps one solution is to actually BUY the Times-Roman font (from  
Adobe) and then Distiller could embed it... but the trouble is that  
each "style" of each font costs around USD 30 and we may end up  
having to buy many of them...

I spend about 12 hours searching Google for "embed fonts in EPS" and  
(Continue reading)

Matthew Leingang | 9 Jan 17:58 2008
Picon

Re: Question about repeated commands

Dear Michael,

Can't you do something like

\foreach \i in {1,...,20} {
   \foreach \j in {1,...,20} {

On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Dear PGF users,
>
> Can anyone suggest a more compact way to fill a 4.4 x 4.4 in square
> region -- centered at (10, 0) -- with random dots?
>
> 				\foreach \position in
> 							{(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
(Continue reading)

Matthew Leingang | 9 Jan 18:02 2008
Picon

Re: Question about repeated commands

Dear Michael,

(Sorry for the multiple replies.  Butterfingers...)

You can specify a range implicitly, and all you want to do is repeat  
the same code a large number of times.  So try:

\foreach \i in {1,...,400} {
\filldraw[fill=white,draw=black!75] (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand) circle  
(0.1cm);
}

Yours,
Matthew Leingang
On Jan 9, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Dear PGF users,
>
> Can anyone suggest a more compact way to fill a 4.4 x 4.4 in square
> region -- centered at (10, 0) -- with random dots?
>
> 				\foreach \position in
> 							{(10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
> 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand),
> (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand, 2.2*rand), (10+2.2*rand,
(Continue reading)

Axel E. Retif | 10 Jan 01:32 2008
Picon

Re: [Slightly off topic] Creating press quality PDF

On  9 Jan, 2008, at 10:55, Gordon Royle wrote:

> [...]

> I am editor of a small mathematics journal that runs on a shoestring
> budget. To construct each issue, we have to create a "press quality
> PDF" to send to the (commercial) printers who have basically
> instructed us to "only use Acrobat Distiller" and to embed ALL fonts.
>
> However we are having major problems with font embedding in the PDF
> (and this is where I start to lose grip on what is happening).
>
> - authors include EPS figures in their papers that refer to
> Postscript fonts such as Times-Roman
> - dvips does not seem to be able to embed fonts that are referred to
> in EPS figures

You don't say which platform you use, but this works on a Mac:

1) Ask your authors to provide their figures in PDF, *with embedded  
fonts*, rather than EPS.

2) Use pdfTeX (that is, output PDF) to compose your journal.

3) When it is ready, ``print'' the document, but rather than an  
actual printing, in the Print dialog box, in the pulldown menu PDF,  
do ``Save PDF as Postscipt...''.

4) Distill the resulting PS with Acrobat Distiller.

(Continue reading)

Axel E. Retif | 10 Jan 06:37 2008
Picon

Re: [Slightly off topic] Creating press quality PDF

On  9 Jan, 2008, at 18:32, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  9 Jan, 2008, at 10:55, Gordon Royle wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
>> I am editor of a small mathematics journal that runs on a shoestring
>> budget. To construct each issue, we have to create a "press quality
>> PDF" to send to the (commercial) printers who have basically
>> instructed us to "only use Acrobat Distiller" and to embed ALL fonts.
>>
>> However we are having major problems with font embedding in the PDF
>> (and this is where I start to lose grip on what is happening).
>>
>> - authors include EPS figures in their papers that refer to
>> Postscript fonts such as Times-Roman
>> - dvips does not seem to be able to embed fonts that are referred to
>> in EPS figures
>
> You don't say which platform you use, but this works on a Mac:

...

Easier and better ---no need for a Mac, as long as you have Acrobat  
Professional and Acrobat Distiller:

1) Do all you production directly with pdfTeX (with fonts embedded in  
the PDF figures).

2) Open the final document in Acrobat Pro; Save As... with Format:  
(Continue reading)

Axel E. Retif | 10 Jan 08:08 2008
Picon

Re: [Slightly off topic] Creating press quality PDF

On  9 Jan, 2008, at 18:32, Axel E. Retif wrote:

Sorry ---this is starting to look like a monologue, but...

>> (2) Is there a way of creating an EPS file with the standard PS fonts
>> embedded rather than simply named?
>
> I don't think so. If I ``embed'' fonts in an Illustrator EPS, they
> should be in the system when distilling, but you can really embed the
> fonts in a PDF.

If your authors are using Illustrator to produce their figures, ask  
them to convert the typography to outlines (selecting the text and  
menu Type -> Create Outlines). Then you can still follow the route  
LaTeX -> dvi -> dvips and distill the PS with Acrobat Distiller.

Axel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
Björn Steffen | 10 Jan 11:48 2008
Picon

Error in the last cvs update

Hi,

I cannot compile the documentation after the most recent cvs update.
I get the following error:

   ! I can't find file `tikzlibraryshadows.code.tex'.

I seems that this file is not checked into cvs.

Best regards,
Björn
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
_______________________________________________
pgf-users mailing list
pgf-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/pgf-users
Flavio Costa | 11 Jan 02:37 2008
Picon

Res: [Slightly off topic] Creating press quality PDF

My two cents on this question, even if I'm not "someone with expert knowledge of document preparation":

(1) Are the printers saying "only use Acrobat Distiller" for a good  
reason? Or is it just that they can't be bothered dealing with  
alternatives like "ps2pdf" or "ghostview" etc. Can these programs  
produce press-quality PDF?

1 - Yes, I think they have a good reason: Acrobat Distiller is conceived to be a no-brainer way of producing
acceptable quality PDF files. So it's safer if they push Acrobat Distiller as a general solution.
"ps2pdf" or "ghostview" can produce  press-quality PDF, but you have to provide them with the correct
options, the same for dvips. Here is an example of a command-line optimized for print quality:

ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4
-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress
-dMaxSubsetPct=100 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3
-dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true
-dAutoFilterColorImages=false
-dAutoFilterGrayImages=false
-dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode
-dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode
-dMonoImageFilter=/FlateEncode
filename.ps filename.pdf

The parameter -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress is particularly important, but you should understand
everything in order to ensure the quality of your output. That's why suggesting Acrobat Distiller is a
good way to go, but you don't have to rely on it if you know what you're doing.

(2) Is there a way of creating an EPS file with the standard PS fonts  
embedded rather than simply named?

(Continue reading)


Gmane