s-rhiggin4 | 1 Jun 16:38 2007

Can't Complie

I installed MikTek and then WinEdt on my fiancé's laptop.  I have
restarted WinEdt and rebooted the machine.  Unfortunately, I can't
compile.  I get the message:  "Error starting LaTex!"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Bernhard Enders | 1 Jun 16:54 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

This kind of problem is (in general) more related to WinEdt than to
MiKTeX, so I think you should post this question in the WinEdt users
list (winedt+list at wsg.net). By the way, can you compile any latex
document at command line? Have you read WinEdt's Diagnosis Summary (in
options | Configuration Wizard...)?

Bernhard.

On 6/1/07, s-rhiggin4 <at> math.unl.edu <s-rhiggin4 <at> math.unl.edu> wrote:
> I installed MikTek and then WinEdt on my fiancé's laptop.  I have
> restarted WinEdt and rebooted the machine.  Unfortunately, I can't
> compile.  I get the message:  "Error starting LaTex!"
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
> Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
> control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
> http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
> _______________________________________________
> MiKTeX-Users mailing list
> MiKTeX-Users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/miktex-users
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
(Continue reading)

Alan Ristow | 1 Jun 16:59 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

s-rhiggin4 <at> math.unl.edu wrote:
> I installed MikTek and then WinEdt on my fiancé's laptop.  I have
> restarted WinEdt and rebooted the machine.  Unfortunately, I can't
> compile.  I get the message:  "Error starting LaTex!"

Open a command prompt and type "latex --version". You should see 
something like this:

MiKTeX-pdfTeX 2.6.2693 (1.40.3) (MiKTeX 2.6)
Copyright (C) 1982 D. E. Knuth, (C) 1996-2006 Han The Thanh
TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society.

If you see that, MiKTeX is installed correctly and your problem lies 
with WinEdt. In that case, you'd best seek advice from the WinEdt 
mailing list.

If, on the other hand, you see a message indicating that the latex 
command is unrecognized, it suggests that MiKTeX is installed 
incorrectly. In that case, the first thing to do is make sure the path 
to the bin directory in your MiKTeX folder (e.g., C:\Program 
Files\MiKTeX 2.6\bin) appears in your PATH environment variable 
(right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab, 
then the Environment Variables button).

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
(Continue reading)

Philip G. Ratcliffe | 1 Jun 17:14 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

> This kind of problem is (in general) more related to WinEdt than to
> MiKTeX, so I think you should post this question in the WinEdt users
> list (winedt+list at wsg.net). By the way, can you compile any latex
> document at command line? Have you read WinEdt's Diagnosis Summary (in
> options | Configuration Wizard...)?

I think Alex might not entirely agree with you there.

Anyway, the very first thing to do is open a DOS box and type latex - if
MiKTeX is installed correctly then you should get something like

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (MiKTeX 2.6)
** 

If you do, then you should check the WinEdt | Configuration Wizard |
Diagnosis tab - it'll tell you what it finds and what it doesn't.
If not, there is a problem with MiKTeX - maybe the path has not been set
correctly.

Cheers,  Phil

P.S. You didn't alter the WinEdt configuration by any chance?  | Options |
Configuration |

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
(Continue reading)

Ulrike Fischer | 1 Jun 17:28 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 um 17:14 schrieb Philip G. Ratcliffe:

> Anyway, the very first thing to do is open a DOS box and type latex - if
> MiKTeX is installed correctly then you should get something like

> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (MiKTeX 2.6)
> **

> If you do, then you should check the WinEdt | Configuration Wizard |
> Diagnosis tab - it'll tell you what it finds and what it doesn't.
> If not, there is a problem with MiKTeX - maybe the path has not been set
> correctly.

Miktex doesn't add the path to the PATH variable itself. So the test
could fail even if miktex has been installed correctly. And winedt is
quite able to call latex even if the binaries are not in the path as
long as it finds the main texmf-tree.

So the right course is:
First add miktex/bin to the PATH. Then test latex on a command line.
If this works then there is probably a winedt problem (in which case
the OP should at least mention which version he installed).

--

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ulrike Fischer
mailto:list <at> nililand.de

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
(Continue reading)

Bernhard Enders | 1 Jun 17:34 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

On 6/1/07, Philip G. Ratcliffe <philip.ratcliffe <at> fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> > This kind of problem is (in general) more related to WinEdt than to
> > MiKTeX, so I think you should post this question in the WinEdt users
> > list (winedt+list at wsg.net). By the way, can you compile any latex
> > document at command line? Have you read WinEdt's Diagnosis Summary (in
> > options | Configuration Wizard...)?
>
> I think Alex might not entirely agree with you there.

Sorry, I have assumed in my assertion that the OP already did some
successful (LaTeX) tests at command line first before posting...

Bernhard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
Philip G. Ratcliffe | 1 Jun 17:41 2007
Picon

Re: Can't Complie

> Miktex doesn't add the path to the PATH variable itself.

Well, it got in there somehow in my (XP) setup and I certainly didn't put it
in by hand myself.

> So the test
> could fail even if miktex has been installed correctly. And winedt is
> quite able to call latex even if the binaries are not in the path as
> long as it finds the main texmf-tree.
> 
> So the right course is:
> First add miktex/bin to the PATH. Then test latex on a command line.
> If this works then there is probably a winedt problem (in which case
> the OP should at least mention which version he installed).

Yes, of course, it's always advisable to give some minimal info such as
version numbers.

Cheers,  Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by DB2 Express
Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
s-rhiggin4 | 1 Jun 18:07 2007

Re: Can't Complie


It works now!!

Thanks

> s-rhiggin4 <at> math.unl.edu wrote:
>> I installed MikTek and then WinEdt on my fiancé's laptop.  I have
>> restarted WinEdt and rebooted the machine.  Unfortunately, I can't
>> compile.  I get the message:  "Error starting LaTex!"
>
> Open a command prompt and type "latex --version". You should see
> something like this:
>
> MiKTeX-pdfTeX 2.6.2693 (1.40.3) (MiKTeX 2.6)
> Copyright (C) 1982 D. E. Knuth, (C) 1996-2006 Han The Thanh
> TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society.
>
> If you see that, MiKTeX is installed correctly and your problem lies
> with WinEdt. In that case, you'd best seek advice from the WinEdt
> mailing list.
>
> If, on the other hand, you see a message indicating that the latex
> command is unrecognized, it suggests that MiKTeX is installed
> incorrectly. In that case, the first thing to do is make sure the path
> to the bin directory in your MiKTeX folder (e.g., C:\Program
> Files\MiKTeX 2.6\bin) appears in your PATH environment variable
> (right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab,
> then the Environment Variables button).
>
> Alan
(Continue reading)

Cornelius C. Noack | 1 Jun 19:36 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: Quotes (at beginning of a book chapter) in Miktex

On Fri, 25 May 2007, TheRanger <at> gmx.net wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I wouild like to put a small quote (one or multiple lines) on
> top of each of my chapters (a thesis) so that it appears on the
> right hand side and a propper neat style. Have seen it before but
> can't find it any more. Any of you experts know what I am talking
> about and can throw me some Latex code that does the trick?
>
It's quite possible that there are more elegant solutions --- I
don't consider myself a TeXpert. But the following will surely work
(and it's what I use in such cases):

    \hspace*{\fill}
     \framebox[\textwidth*5/12]{\parbox{\textwidth*5/13}{%
                here come your lines of text within the box.

                New lines (and vertical spaces) can be entered in
                the usual way ...
                                                        }
                               }

  Notes: a) the lengths used here are, of course, at your
            discretion. I feel that using fractions of
            \textwidth (rather than absolute lengths) gives me
            better control of the esthetics. But remember that for
            this to work, you need to load the 'calc' package!
         b) If you don't like the frame around your clever quote,
            use \makebox instead of \framebox .
(Continue reading)

Clive Nicholas | 2 Jun 10:05 2007

Re: Quotes (at beginning of a book chapter) in Miktex

Cornelius C. Noack replied to 'The Ranger':

> It's quite possible that there are more elegant solutions --- I
> don't consider myself a TeXpert. But the following will surely work
> (and it's what I use in such cases):
>
>     \hspace*{\fill}
>      \framebox[\textwidth*5/12]{\parbox{\textwidth*5/13}{%
>                 here come your lines of text within the box.
>
>                 New lines (and vertical spaces) can be entered in
>                 the usual way ...
>                                                         }
>                                }
>
>   Notes: a) the lengths used here are, of course, at your
>             discretion. I feel that using fractions of
>             \textwidth (rather than absolute lengths) gives me
>             better control of the esthetics. But remember that for
>             this to work, you need to load the 'calc' package!
>          b) If you don't like the frame around your clever quote,
>             use \makebox instead of \framebox .
>          c) Within the \framebox command,  you are in a new
>             LaTeX environment. So any usual LaTeX stuff for
>             changing the text style (\small, \emph, or what have you)
>             will work.

Forgive me, but wasn't this asked and answered by visiting the following link

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=epigraph
(Continue reading)


Gmane