Franck Pastor | 3 Mar 02:19 2012
Picon

Problem with metafun

Hello list

I have run into a strange problem with MetaPost and Metafun recently. Here is a complete minimal example:

beginfig(1);
	label("O", origin);
endfig;

beginfig(2);
	label(btex O etex, origin);
endfig;

end;

It works flawlessly with standard MetaPost. But if I use the metafun format with texexec as TeX engine,
using the following command

mpost -mem=metafun -tex="texexec --dvi" bug-metafun.mp 

(bug-metafun.mp is the name I've given to this file), something weird happens: the result is as expected,
but the log file is enormous (nearly 1 Mo, see the joined file…), containing tons of bizarre messages
abount duplicated fontmaps… No idea about what it means.

Is this a known problem?

I use Mac OS X, version 10.5.8,  MetaPost 1.504 and Metafun, which are shipped with TeX Live 2011 (MacTeX 2011).

Thanks,

Franck Pastor
(Continue reading)

Nicola | 4 Mar 21:06 2012
Picon

Re: Problem with metafun

In article <9DDE15F2-1AA8-41E6-90ED-3787C854F843 <at> skynet.be>,
 Franck Pastor <franck.pastor <at> skynet.be> wrote:

> I have run into a strange problem with MetaPost and Metafun recently. Here is 
> a complete minimal example:
> 
> beginfig(1);
>         label("O", origin);
> endfig;
> 
> beginfig(2);
>         label(btex O etex, origin);
> endfig;
> 
> end;
> 
> It works flawlessly with standard MetaPost. But if I use the metafun format 
> with texexec as TeX engine, using the following command
> 
> mpost -mem=metafun -tex="texexec --dvi" bug-metafun.mp 
> 
> (bug-metafun.mp is the name I've given to this file), something weird 
> happens: the result is as expected, but the log file is enormous (nearly 1 
> Mo, see the joined file…), containing tons of bizarre messages abount 
> duplicated fontmaps… No idea about what it means.

I can't help, but I confirm the behaviour with mpost (and MetaFun) from TeX Live 
2011. With mpost 1.504 from a (not too recent) ConTeXt Minimals distribution, 
the log has reasonable size (~2KB), so this is most probably related to TeX 
Live/MacTeX.
(Continue reading)

Hans Hagen | 5 Mar 10:31 2012
Picon

Re: Problem with metafun

On 3-3-2012 02:19, Franck Pastor wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I have run into a strange problem with MetaPost and Metafun recently. Here is a complete minimal example:
>
> beginfig(1);
> 	label("O", origin);
> endfig;
>
> beginfig(2);
> 	label(btex O etex, origin);
> endfig;
>
> end;
>
> It works flawlessly with standard MetaPost. But if I use the metafun format with texexec as TeX engine,
using the following command
>
> mpost -mem=metafun -tex="texexec --dvi" bug-metafun.mp
>
> (bug-metafun.mp is the name I've given to this file), something weird happens: the result is as expected,
but the log file is enormous (nearly 1 Mo, see the joined file…), containing tons of bizarre messages
abount duplicated fontmaps… No idea about what it means.
>
> Is this a known problem?

Each graphic loads the same map file:

  [1{psfonts.map}] [2{psfonts.map

(Continue reading)

Shriramana Sharma | 6 Mar 13:23 2012
Picon

MetaPost for fonts for epigraphical scripts of India

Hello it's me again. I thought it appropriate to start a separate
thread for this. Please bear with me while I give a brief background
of my project and requirements.

I along with some friends am currently working on developing
encodings/smart_fonts for old epigraphical scripts of India. I think
that encoding a script without a proper font existing for using that
encoding is pointless. The problem is especially with Indic scripts
whose complex nature leads the number of glyphs in a font to be
necessarily more than the number of encoded characters for the script.
So we need to design all the glyphs and the smart font programming to
make it work (using Graphite technology http://graphite.sil.org). We
intend to release these fonts under the OFL for free use by all.

I was aware long ago of the existence of MetaFont but the heavy
mathematical orientation put me off from using it compared to WYSIWYG
tools. OTOH I'm not a hand-wise graphics designer myself (although I
can apply myself to the mathematical portion of it) so I really can't
draw good glyphs myself using a WYSIWYG tool (I'm using High Logic
Font Creator http://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator.html),
which is however useful for me for minor corrections, codepoint
mappings and such. Anyhow now I've learnt that MetaFont's raster
output is practically obsolete and we need scalable vector output,
which IIUC MetaPost is the software to turn to.

Now I have image files (JPEG) of old (i.e. 1200+ years old) writings.
As many of them are very complex writings, it would be highly tedious
to calculate the points and such to write a MetaPost program manually.

What I'd like to do is to choose a set of representative glyphs from
(Continue reading)

Shriramana Sharma | 6 Mar 12:39 2012
Picon

Hello: possible error in MetaPost tutorial

Hello I'm new to TeX/Metapost. In fact I'ven't even started using them
yet but planning to do so for a font project. I'll be having highly
noob questions (but I will make best attempts to do my homework before
asking). I request the kind help of the people here. Thanks.

So I was looking at:
http://www.tlhiv.org/MetaPost/tutorial/tutorial.html where it says:

"In mathematics as in MetaPost, the positive sense of rotation is
counterclockwise. Thus the red halfcircle is obtained (from the black
one) by a rotation of -90 degrees, whereas the blue halfcircle is
obtained by a rotation of 90 degrees. "

But the red circle is actually rotated by anticlockwise rotation and
the blue circle by clockwise rotation. Thus the sign of the values
should be reversed. Even the commands read:

  draw halfcircle scaled 2u rotated 90 shifted (1.5u, 4u) withcolor red;
  draw halfcircle scaled 2u rotated -90 shifted (1.5u, 3u) withcolor blue;

I hope I'm right. I found a mail ID for the author and am cc-ing to
them too, in (the unlikely) case that they are not on the list.

--

-- 
Shriramana Sharma
--
http://tug.org/metapost/

Dan T. Abell | 6 Mar 20:32 2012

Re: Hello: possible error in MetaPost tutorial

Yes, you're right about the sense of rotation. The caption
definitely conflicts with the figure.

	-Dan

On 6 Mar 2012, at 04:39, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> Hello I'm new to TeX/Metapost. In fact I'ven't even started using them
> yet but planning to do so for a font project. I'll be having highly
> noob questions (but I will make best attempts to do my homework before
> asking). I request the kind help of the people here. Thanks.
> 
> So I was looking at:
> http://www.tlhiv.org/MetaPost/tutorial/tutorial.html where it says:
> 
> "In mathematics as in MetaPost, the positive sense of rotation is
> counterclockwise. Thus the red halfcircle is obtained (from the black
> one) by a rotation of -90 degrees, whereas the blue halfcircle is
> obtained by a rotation of 90 degrees. "
> 
> But the red circle is actually rotated by anticlockwise rotation and
> the blue circle by clockwise rotation. Thus the sign of the values
> should be reversed. Even the commands read:
> 
>  draw halfcircle scaled 2u rotated 90 shifted (1.5u, 4u) withcolor red;
>  draw halfcircle scaled 2u rotated -90 shifted (1.5u, 3u) withcolor blue;
> 
> I hope I'm right. I found a mail ID for the author and am cc-ing to
> them too, in (the unlikely) case that they are not on the list.
> 
(Continue reading)

Shriramana Sharma | 13 Mar 15:11 2012
Picon

MetaFont mailing list?

Hello people. Just confirming what was apparently already asked at
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.metapost/449. Shall I ask my
MetaFont related questions here?

Thanks.

--

-- 
Shriramana Sharma
--
http://tug.org/metapost/

luigi scarso | 13 Mar 15:22 2012
Picon

Re: MetaFont mailing list?

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people. Just confirming what was apparently already asked at
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.metapost/449. Shall I ask my
> MetaFont related questions here?
>
> Thanks.
yes
--

-- 
luigi
--
http://tug.org/metapost/

Shriramana Sharma | 13 Mar 15:35 2012
Picon

Best way to go to outline font from MetaFont

Hello. Thanks to Luigi for confirming that MetaFont queries are OK here.

I don't know how many read my other post regarding my desire to create
fonts for old Indic scripts using MetaPost:
http://tug.org/pipermail/metapost/2012-March/002495.html. Anyhow, I
have been wondering what is the correct tool to use for this.

I thought that since MetaFont was only for raster output, creating
outline fonts should be done using MetaPost which can produce EPS
files which I can then import into my font using a font editor
application. But MetaPost doesn't seem to support penpos commands or
such from MetaFont, which would alter the positioning of the pen when
drawing the glyph.

Today the standard is to use outline fonts only. Therefore is the
MetaFont behaviour of creating raster output any longer useful? The
Computer Modern fonts used by default in TeX -- are they outline or
raster? So has the default MetaFont behaviour been altered to give
outlines?

There are various papers publicly available regarding creation of
outline fonts from MetaFont sources -- by Piska, Jackowski, Vakulenko
etc. If the MFtoEPS package by Jackowski can produce EPS output
directly from MetaFont sources (with a few commands added) then all
those papers about autotracing MetaFont output are obsolete, right?
And MFtoEPS practically makes the (non-publicly available) MetaFog not
necessary right? Given all those papers, I'm totally confused.

Please someone tell me what is the recommended way to produce
PostScript outlines from a MetaFont program so that I can design
(Continue reading)

Werner LEMBERG | 13 Mar 16:54 2012
Picon

Re: Best way to go to outline font from MetaFont

> Please someone tell me what is the recommended way to produce
> PostScript outlines from a MetaFont program so that I can design
> glyphs using MetaFont (with penpos and all) and output them to EPS
> after which I will take care of the rest using my favourite font
> editor.

In LilyPond, we use mf2pt1 for the raw conversion of METAFONT to
PostScript, followed by calls to FontForge to clean up the outlines
and convert everything to OpenType.

    Werner
--
http://tug.org/metapost/


Gmane