Douglas Garstang | 1 May 01:01 2011
Picon

Re: [Puppet Users] ssh::auth Question

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Steven Acres <admin <at> swatteksystems.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Douglas Garstang <doug.garstang <at> gmail.com> wrote:
So... I was looking at the docs for ssh::auth at http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Module_Ssh_Auth_Patterns.

It seems like auth.pp runs on the puppet master rather than the client. How does that work exactly....?

Doug.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Hi Doug,

I'm unclear what you're asking.


Hmmm... I'm not sure how else to ask it. Does auth.pp run on the puppet master or the clients?

Doug.
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
Steven Acres | 1 May 01:19 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] ssh::auth Question

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Douglas Garstang <doug.garstang <at> gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Steven Acres <admin <at> swatteksystems.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Douglas Garstang <doug.garstang <at> gmail.com> wrote:
So... I was looking at the docs for ssh::auth at http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Module_Ssh_Auth_Patterns.

It seems like auth.pp runs on the puppet master rather than the client. How does that work exactly....?

Doug.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Hi Doug,

I'm unclear what you're asking.


Hmmm... I'm not sure how else to ask it. Does auth.pp run on the puppet master or the clients?

Doug.
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Are you by chance thinking that auth.pp is ... 'handling' authentication de facto? (it doesn't).
Otherwise, the module provisions the ssh-{server,client} (install, setup, the daemon and provision the node's keys and users) as specified.
It's actually a good working example of Virtual Resources http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/virtual_resources.html too.

--
Cheers,

Steven
-----------------------
Steven Acres
UNIX/Linux System Administrator

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
Matthew Black | 1 May 05:59 2011
Picon

Re: [Puppet Users] How to check if a package exists

You can put a requires in the file resource


require => Package["packagename"]


then it will install the package first then put in the symlink.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Sans <r.santanu.das <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I'm trying to do this. Say for example, I want this link: "liblcgdm.so
-> liblcgdm.so.1.8.0" to be present on the client only if "lcgdm-
libs-1.8.0-1sec.sl5" is already listed. I already have this to create
the link:

file {
   'liblcgdm.so':
    ensure => symlink,
    name   => '/opt/lcg/lib/liblcgdm.so',
    target => 'liblcgdm.so.1.8.0';
}

but how do I check the existence of that particular package
beforehand? Thanks in advance for your time. Cheers!!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
vagn scott | 1 May 06:48 2011
Picon

Re: [Puppet Users] How to check if a package exists


Please look at

     ldconfig -N

it will update the links for you.

You could try something like (warning untested)

class foo {
         package { "liblcgdm":
                 notify => Exec[ "ldconfig::update" ],
         }

         include ldconfig::update
}

class ldconfig::update {
         exec { "ldconfig -N":
                 refreshonly => true,
         }
}

Of course, the package manager should set up these
links for you when installing the lib.

The other thing to note: If you are installing a library
without using the package manager you should run

         ldconfig

anyway, in order to update your loader's idea of
what libraries exist, and where they are.
It also creates any missing links.

again, see ldconfig(8)

--
vagn

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Steven Acres | 1 May 07:03 2011

Re: [Puppet Users] How to check if a package exists

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:48 AM, vagn scott <vagnscott <at> gmail.com> wrote:

Please look at

   ldconfig -N

it will update the links for you.

You could try something like (warning untested)

class foo {
       package { "liblcgdm":
               notify => Exec[ "ldconfig::update" ],
       }

       include ldconfig::update
}

class ldconfig::update {
       exec { "ldconfig -N":
               refreshonly => true,
       }
}

Of course, the package manager should set up these
links for you when installing the lib.

The other thing to note: If you are installing a library
without using the package manager you should run

       ldconfig

anyway, in order to update your loader's idea of
what libraries exist, and where they are.
It also creates any missing links.

again, see ldconfig(8)

--
vagn

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.


As vagn noted, the package manager should be handling this, there most likely is a valid reason it isn't creating those links (aside from 'bugs'). And if you're sure you want to customize a pkg., re-roll the pkg. You'll thank yourself later, guaranteed.

--
Cheers,

Steven
-----------------------
Steven Acres
UNIX/Linux System Administrator

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.
Sans | 1 May 08:21 2011
Picon

[Puppet Users] Re: How to check if a package exists

On May 1, 4:59 am, Matthew Black <mjbl... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> You can put a requires in the file resource
>
> require => Package["packagename"]
>
> then it will install the package first then put in the symlink.
>
That not what I actually want. I just simply want: if the package
already installed, create the sym-link otherwise, do nothing. Cheers!!

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Rakhesh Sasidharan | 1 May 09:14 2011
Picon

Re: [Puppet Users] Re: How to check if a package exists


On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 23:21 -0700, "Sans" <r.santanu.das <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 1, 4:59 am, Matthew Black <mjbl... <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can put a requires in the file resource
> >
> > require => Package["packagename"]
> >
> > then it will install the package first then put in the symlink.
> >
> That not what I actually want. I just simply want: if the package
> already installed, create the sym-link otherwise, do nothing. Cheers!!

In that case my suggestion of yesterday should do the trick - 

Have a Exec resource with a command to link the files above, but which
runs only if the file does not already exist. Something along the lines
of the example mentioned here -
http://www.puppetcookbook.com/posts/exec-onlyif.html

Regards.

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Rakhesh Sasidharan | 1 May 09:16 2011
Picon

Re: [Puppet Users] Adding already defined users to a group when its created

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:52 +0400, "Rakhesh Sasidharan"
<puppet <at> rakhesh.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm new to Puppet. Started using it about a week ago and absolutely
> loving it!
> 
> I'm trying to do something which I am not sure if possible or whether I
> am even approaching it the right way. 
> 
> What I want to do is that by default I want all my machines to have a
> certain user account created and added to the users group. That's easy.
> Next, I want certain machines to have the SSH server package installed
> (again, easy), the SSH config file copied over (easy), a group called
> sshusers created (easy), and then the above mentioned user accounts be
> added to this group. I am stuck at the last bit. 
> 
> One obvious solution I can think of is to have an Exec definition where
> I define the SSH server package to add this user to the group. But that
> doesn't feel too "neat" to me, so I was wondering if there's a better
> way of declaring/ defining the fact that when the group is created such
> and such users are added to it - perhaps using virtual resources or
> something? 
> 
> Any ideas, please enlighten!
> 

No suggestions, anyone? 

Regards.

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Sans | 1 May 10:15 2011
Picon

[Puppet Users] Re: How to check if a package exists

Hi Steven and vagn,

I almost forgot about ldconfig, I had a look now and ldconfig doesn't
appear to be working in this particular case. It's conventional for
the so_name to be the name+major version of the library (although, not
universally done), so ldconfig will create a link like "foo.so.1 ->
foo.so.1.1.1" and "foo.so.1.1 ->  foo.so.1.1.1" but *not* foo.so ->
foo.so.1.1.1, as far as I understand. It should be created manually, I
suppose. Cheers!!

On May 1, 6:03 am, Steven Acres <ad... <at> swatteksystems.com> wrote:
> [ .... ]
>
> As vagn noted, the package manager should be handling this, there most
> likely is a valid reason it isn't creating those links (aside from 'bugs').
> And if you're sure you want to customize a pkg., re-roll the pkg. You'll
> thank yourself later, guaranteed.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Steven
> -----------------------
> Steven Acres
> UNIX/Linux System Administrator

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.

Sans | 1 May 10:16 2011
Picon

[Puppet Users] Re: How to check if a package exists

Thanks Rakhesh, looking into it. Cheers!!

On May 1, 8:14 am, "Rakhesh Sasidharan" <pup... <at> rakhesh.net> wrote:
>
> In that case my suggestion of yesterday should do the trick -
>
> Have a Exec resource with a command to link the files above, but which
> runs only if the file does not already exist. Something along the lines
> of the example mentioned here -http://www.puppetcookbook.com/posts/exec-onlyif.html
>
> Regards.

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to puppet-users <at> googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to puppet-users+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.


Gmane