madfran | 6 Aug 07:33 2006
Picon

Re: Re: More problems with rules and Charset for french language

Hi,...

I am afraid the problem isn't solved :-(

When I use your proposal I never see the french characters and john are not able
to find the right password.

>3. You did not mention how you generated the french.chr, so I am not
>sure if it's correct.  You do remember that the default compile-time
>configuration for John (in params.h) limits the "incremental" mode to
>printable US-ASCII characters only, right?

I think the real problem is the default compile-time in US-ASCII characters.

To generate the french.chr I put in john.pot the french character like,

:Â
:Á
:À
:Ç
:É
:Ê
:È
.
.
.

and then I launch the generation,

john --make-charset=french.chr
(Continue reading)

Solar Designer | 6 Aug 21:40 2006

Re: More problems with rules and Charset for french language

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 05:33:08AM -0000, madfran wrote:
> When I use your proposal I never see the french characters

Since it takes less than a second for John to complete an exhaustive
search for those two unknown character positions, you might not be able
to notice what characters it actually tries.

If you want to make sure that it tries all of the desired characters,
you may run it as follows:

	john --external=STRxxOR --stdout > tries.lst

Then browse the file tries.lst (e.g., in a text editor such as Notepad
if you're on Windows) and search it for your desired French characters.
You should find all of them.

> and john are not able to find the right password.

Chances are that you're wrong in your assumptions about the password.

Commenting on your previous attempt, I wrote:

> >3. You did not mention how you generated the french.chr, so I am not
> >sure if it's correct.  You do remember that the default compile-time
> >configuration for John (in params.h) limits the "incremental" mode to
> >printable US-ASCII characters only, right?
> 
> I think the real problem is the default compile-time in US-ASCII characters.

Indeed, it was one of the problems with your previous attempt.  But it
(Continue reading)

Picon

maxlen=14 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8

Hi,
i retrieve hashes using cachedump and submitted to john, patched 
for mscash format, in a windows environment .
I set 
minlenght=maxlenght=14 in incremental parm of john.ini (I know that pw 
lenght is 14 and contains letters and numbers).
Launching...john send 
me the message above and abort !
How can i treat that type of pws?
Thanks in advance...

--

-- 
To unsubscribe, e-mail
john-users-unsubscribe@... and reply
to the automated confirmation request that will be sent to you.

Solar Designer | 11 Aug 00:52 2006

Re: maxlen=14 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 02:22:37PM +0100, rpatet@... wrote:
> i retrieve hashes using cachedump and submitted to john, patched 
> for mscash format, in a windows environment .

You would have better luck cracking the weaker LM hashes if you can get
at those.

> I set 
> minlenght=maxlenght=14 in incremental parm of john.ini (I know that pw 
> lenght is 14 and contains letters and numbers).
> Launching...john send 
> me the message above and abort !
> How can i treat that type of pws?

My advice is that you use cracking modes other than "incremental" for
passwords that are this long.  The limitation applies to "incremental"
mode only.

You can also review these more elaborate answers that I provided when
this question was raised before:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2006/06/08/2
	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2005/05/15/4

--

-- 
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598
http://www.openwall.com - bringing security into open computing environments

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar
(Continue reading)

Mastershocker123 | 11 Aug 10:15 2006
Picon

Re: maxlen=14 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8


Mastershocker123 | 11 Aug 10:16 2006
Picon

Re: maxlen=14 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8


Mastershocker123 | 11 Aug 10:18 2006
Picon

Re: maxlen=14 exceeds the compile-time limit of 8

un suscribe

Jim Thomas | 11 Aug 18:23 2006

Un subscribe

Please un-subscribe

Harmon, John SPAWAR | 12 Aug 00:04 2006
Picon

question about incremental mode

When you run john in incremental mode, does it look at one password at a
time, then move to the next one?
The reason I'm wondering is because I'd like to use john to do periodic
auditing of about 1500 user passwords and send warnings to those with
insecure passwords.  When I tested the incremental mode on one password,
I finally stopped it after more than two hours.  I just want to make
sure passwords are reasonably secure, I don't want john to spend hours
on each password trying to crack it.

Now, if incremental mode makes several passes on all the passwords, with
each complete pass taking maybe a couple hours, that may be ok.  I'd
just let it run for a day or two.  But, if it's taking hours or more for
each password before moving on to the next, I'd have to let it run for
months before it got through all 1400 of them.

 

Pietari Kivikangas | 12 Aug 01:05 2006
Picon

Re: question about incremental mode

Harmon, John SPAWAR wrote:
> But, if it's taking hours or more for
> each password before moving on to the next, I'd have to let it run for
> months before it got through all 1400 of them
It checks every loaded hash against current candidate then checks every 
loaded hash against next candidate and so on. Otherwise in most cases it 
would be somewhat useless program :)
This applies to all modes, not just incremental one.

--

-- 
To unsubscribe, e-mail
john-users-unsubscribe@... and reply
to the automated confirmation request that will be sent to you.


Gmane