Snort 2.9.7 Beta is now available
Snort Releases <snortreleases <at> snort.org>
2014-07-01 23:52:27 GMT
Snort 2.9.7 Beta is now available on snort.org at
http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads/in the Development section.
A new DAQ build is also available that updatessupport for a few operating
Snort 2.9.7 includes a major new feature for to Application Identification,
our openappid capability.
[*] New additions
* Application Identification Preprocessor, when used in conjunction with
open app ID detector content, that will identify application protocol,
client, server, and web applications (including those using SSL) and
include the info in Snort alert data. In addition, a new rule option
keyword 'appid' that can be used to constrain Snort rules based on one
or more applications that are identified for the connection.
See README.appid for details.
* A new protected_content rule option that is used to match against a
that is hashed. It can be used to obscure the full context of the
* Protocol Aware Flushing (PAF) improvements for SMTP, POP, and IMAP to
more accurately process different portions of email messages and file
* Added ability to test normalization behavior without modifying network
When configured using na_policy_mode:inline-test, statistics will be
on packet normalizations that would have occurred, allowing less
testing of inline deployments.
* The HTTP Inspection preprocessor now has the ability to decompress
DEFLATE and LZMA compressed flash content and DEFLATE compressed PDF
content from http responses when configured with the new decompress_swf
and decompress_pdf options. This enhancement can be used with
options that already match against decompressed equivalents.
* Added improved XFF support to HttpInspect. It is now possible to
HTTP headers to use in place of 'X-Fowarded-For'. In situations where
contain multiple XFF-like headers, it is possible to specify which
* Added control socket command to dump packets.
* The Stream5 preprocessor functionality is now split between the new
Stream preprocessors. This makes for easier tracking of sessions
TCP stream reassembly.
* Update active response to allow for responses of 1500+ bytes that span
multiple TCP packets.
* Check limits of multiple configurations to not exceed a maximum ID of
* Updated the error output of byte_test, byte_jump, byte_extract to
including details on offending options for a given rule.
* Update build and install scripts to install preprocessor and engine
into user specified libdir.
* Improved performance of IP Reputation preprocessor.
* The control socket will now report success when reloading empty IP
* All TCP normalizations can now be enabled individually. See
details on usingthe new options. For consistency with other options,
tcp normalization keyword nowenables the normalization instead of
* Lowered memory demand of Unicode -> ASCII mapping in HttpInspect.
* Updated profiler output to remove duplicate results when using
* Improved performance of FTP reassembly.
* Improved compatibility with Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks), OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, and DragonFlyBSD.
Open source business process management suite built on Java and Eclipse
Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community Edition
Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized workflows
Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards
Snort-users mailing list
Snort-users <at> lists.sourceforge.net
Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
Snort-users list archive:
Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest Snort news!