Vassilis V. | 3 Apr 22:04 2010
Picon
Picon

Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

Hello all!

I am having problems starting Endian 2.3 Community Edition on a 3ware 
9650SE-2LP Controller. The installation finishes without any problem but 
once the system boots the error message is:

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Mounting tmpfs on /dev
mkrootdev: UUID xxxxxxxxx
mount: error 2 mounting ext3 flags noatime
well, retrying without the option flags
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
well, retrying read-only without any flag
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
switchroot: mount failed: 22
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Rebooting in 10 seconds..

I tried connecting a hard drive directly to the motherboard and I 
managed to install and run 2.3 without a problem so the general setup of 
the box is no problem.

What makes the issue even more interesting is the fact that when 
installing the 2.2 version I have no problems installing and booting. 
Version 2.2 runs flawlessly.

Was something changed in 2.3 so the there is no more support for this 
controller?

(Continue reading)

compdoc | 3 Apr 22:38 2010

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

>I am having problems starting Endian 2.3 Community Edition
on a 3ware 9650SE-2LP Controller.

In the motherboard's bios, is there a setting named PCI
Latency Timer? In some systems the setting appears in one
location. But in one Supermicro server board I have, each
PCI and PCI-e slot has independent settings for the Timer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
Vassilis V. | 3 Apr 23:41 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

> In the motherboard's bios, is there a setting named PCI
> Latency Timer? In some systems the setting appears in one
> location. But in one Supermicro server board I have, each
> PCI and PCI-e slot has independent settings for the Timer.

Hello compdoc, thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, the setting is there, just one for all slots and its set to 64.
The motherboard is an ASUS P5BP-E/4L, would you recommend a different 
PCI Latency Timer setting?

Vassilis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
Zola | 3 Apr 23:59 2010
Picon

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

Hi!

Maybe a wrong root kernel options in grub?
sometimes hard drive "orders"  sda, sdb confused in grub.

what is your grub kernel options?
you can look if you enter "e" key when grub menu is appering.

Z.

2010/4/3 Vassilis V. <Bigraccoon@...>:
> Hello all!
>
> I am having problems starting Endian 2.3 Community Edition on a 3ware
> 9650SE-2LP Controller. The installation finishes without any problem but
> once the system boots the error message is:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> Mounting tmpfs on /dev
> mkrootdev: UUID xxxxxxxxx
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3 flags noatime
> well, retrying without the option flags
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> well, retrying read-only without any flag
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> Rebooting in 10 seconds..
>
(Continue reading)

compdoc | 4 Apr 00:08 2010

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

Set it to 32. And then see if it boots, but you might need
to reinstall the OS after setting it. 

Most boards default to 64, but I think every controller I
have used from 3Ware, Adaptec, and I think even some Promise
cards, has had issues with that setting. 

In servers I've built using the 9650SE 2p, 4p, and just
yesterday on a 12p card, (that I got cheap off ebay) they
have all had stability problems because of that setting. 

The server I just built has four 'green' 5400 rpm Samsung
2TB drives set up as RAID 5. I had just installed centos and
was setting the server up, when programs started stalling
and there were file checks happening at boot. 

At first I thought it was because of the 5.4TB size of the
volume - that's the biggest Ive ever tried. But on this
Supermicro board, I had to dig into the bios to find the
setting for each PCI slot and set it to 20h, which is hex
for 32. 

I love 3Ware cards. I get amazing performance from these
drives. About 199 MB/s.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
(Continue reading)

Vassilis V. | 4 Apr 01:31 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

Hello Zola,

just looked at the settings and all that stands there is:
grub edit>root (hd0,0

Vassilis

Zola wrote on 03.04.2010 23:59:
> Hi!
>
> Maybe a wrong root kernel options in grub?
> sometimes hard drive "orders"  sda, sdb confused in grub.
>
> what is your grub kernel options?
> you can look if you enter "e" key when grub menu is appering.
>
> Z.
>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
Vassilis V. | 4 Apr 01:31 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

I just tried setting it to 32 and did a reinstall. Unfortunately the 
same error came up on booting :-(
Any other idea?

Vassilis

compdoc wrote on 04.04.2010 00:08:
> Set it to 32. And then see if it boots, but you might need
> to reinstall the OS after setting it.
>
> Most boards default to 64, but I think every controller I
> have used from 3Ware, Adaptec, and I think even some Promise
> cards, has had issues with that setting.
>
> In servers I've built using the 9650SE 2p, 4p, and just
> yesterday on a 12p card, (that I got cheap off ebay) they
> have all had stability problems because of that setting.
>
> The server I just built has four 'green' 5400 rpm Samsung
> 2TB drives set up as RAID 5. I had just installed centos and
> was setting the server up, when programs started stalling
> and there were file checks happening at boot.
>
> At first I thought it was because of the 5.4TB size of the
> volume - that's the biggest Ive ever tried. But on this
> Supermicro board, I had to dig into the bios to find the
> setting for each PCI slot and set it to 20h, which is hex
> for 32.
>
> I love 3Ware cards. I get amazing performance from these
(Continue reading)

Vassilis V. | 4 Apr 02:18 2010
Picon
Picon

Re: Endian 2.3 and 3ware 9650SE Controller

I finally found the solution. Apparently in 2.3 the raid support for 
this card is not enabled!

Solution found here:
http://efwsupport.com/index.php?topic=1366.0

This is how I fixed it. I did ran the installer again and when the setup 
is asking for the network parameters (last step in setup) you do:
     * ALT + F3, you will see a prompt
     * chroot /harddisk (enter)
     * echo "alias scsi_hostadapter  3w-9xxx " >> /etc/modprobe.conf
     * echo "INITRD_MODULES=3w-9xxx" > /etc/sysconfig/kernel
     * mkinitrd  -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
     * exit
     * ALT+F1 and finish setup

Big thanx to gerwin for finding the bug and thank you compdoc and zola 
for your tips!

Vassilis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
rone | 6 Apr 04:16 2010
Picon

additional zones treated like green or add zones manually... looking for any comments or ideas


Dear All,

I have been running various versions of EFW for years with great results.

I have come across a situation a couple of times where I need to accommodate
more zones than the 4 supported out of the box (red, green, blue, orange).
I've searched through the mailing list and forums at length. The question
has been asked a few times without definitive answers that I found. There
was one comment about using brctl to do this or something like this but not
sure if that was successful.

Essentially what I need to do is add additional zones treated similarly to
green. All zones need to share the same external IP and ideally separate
dhcp scopes are available on each zone (as they are with blue and orange).
It seems that perhaps this can be done by adding one bridge per interface
with brctl and then assigning the appropriate IPs to each interface. Not
sure if NAT will work immediately and what needs to be done to get dhcp
working on those zones. I have poked around the /var/efw files a bit with
this in mind and I suspect it's possible however I would be very interested
in hearing from anyone who has done this, tried this, or has any idea about
doing this.

As another point related to this, I have an efw installation I just upgraded
to 2.3 which has 6 physical interfaces. The two extra interfaces (eth4 and
eth5) beyond the 4 supported listed above are assigned as green. Thinking I
could work on this remotely, I physically connected the extra 2 "green"
interfaces to the same network as as the actual green interface (eth0/br0)
however this was done the entire efw became inaccessible on all interfaces.
Not sure why that would be either. Would be very interested in any thoughts
(Continue reading)

Andres Gonzalez | 7 Apr 02:06 2010
Picon

EFW 2.3 traffic

Hi, I'm having some troubles with outgoing traffic to the Internet. I unplugged the LAN UTP and there's still outgoing traffic.
Looking at the logs I have this:

2010-04-06 20:46:00 6962 81.67.210.216 TCP_MISS/000 0 GET http://119.160.245.57/config/isp_verify_user?l=Drummer176&p= abe - DIRECT/119.160.245.57 -

This menas that 81.67.210.216 is trying to connect to 119.160.245.57 ???
Neither of the 2 IP address belongs to me. If I stop the HTTP Proxy (even with the LAN UTP wire disconnected) the outgoing "strange" traffic stops.

Could be that the box has been compromised ?
Any idea is welcome.

Regards.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Intel&#174; Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during beta.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev
_______________________________________________
Efw-user mailing list
Efw-user@...
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/efw-user

Gmane