Jesse Berwald | 3 Aug 18:32 2012

numpy.load() error

Hello,

Hopefully you can help. I cannot get numpy.load() to load .npy files
on my Mac. It always throws an AssertionError. Saving .npy files is
fine, though. The workaround (writing then reading a txt file) is fine
for now. Nevertheless, I was hoping you guys might have some insight.
The traceback follows.

Some info on my box: Mac OSX 10.7.4, 64-bit Intel, 8 GB RAM, Enthought
7.3-1 (64-bit).  Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
for your help with this matter.

Sincerely,
Jesse

>>>>>>>>

$ ipython
Enthought Python Distribution -- www.enthought.com

Python 2.7.3 |EPD 7.3-1 (64-bit)| (default, Apr 12 2012, 11:14:05)
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

IPython 0.12.1 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import numpy
(Continue reading)

Nelson Auner | 4 Aug 00:49 2012

Error code 2349 upon installation

Dear Enthought users,


I used the free version for a while, and really enjoyed it! I now have the 64bit version installer(for windows) I attempted to uninstall the free version and install the 64 bit version, but upon trying to install receive the error code 2349, and worse of all, I cannot reinstall the 32 bit version either (same error code)
I would prefer to use the 32 bit free version over no ipython at all..is there anything that I can do? 

Sincerely,

Chang Sue Ho
_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
Dr. Juan E Cabanela Ph.D. | 5 Aug 19:35 2012

Problem with animations with EPD 7.3-2

Hello all,

   Last summer I took it upon myself to learn python during my sabbatical leave.  Being an astronomer, I went
through the Python 4 Astronomers website to learn python.  At that time, I took the route of installing EPD
(32-bit OSX version) on my MacBook Pro and working with that.  It went well and I was able to go through all the
demos/homework on the website and finish. 

   This year, I am interested in using Python in a Computational Physics course I'll be teaching and so I was
installing EPD 7.3-2 on my Mac.  I have discovered that I now have an odd problem where the 'bounce.py'
script from

  http://python4astronomers.github.com/contest/bounce.html

no longer runs properly in 'ipython -pylab'.  Instead of animating the motion of the balls, the script seems
to hang for a moment, then displays what appears to be the last frame of motion of the balls. I have confirmed
this behavior for EPD 7.3-2 (32-bit OSX) installed under Lion and Mountain Lion.  Was there a recent change
to Python that would have propagated through EPD 7.3-2 and could be affecting these animations?  Can
anyone provide hints to what looks like a frame buffer issue in order to get these types of animations to work?

Juan
--

-- 
Dr. Juan Cabanela                    218-477-2453 (V)  218-477-2290 (F)
Minnesota State University Moorhead     WWW: http://www.cabanela.com/     
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy      Twitter: Juan_Kinda_Guy 
1104 Seventh Ave South, Hagen 307B       IM: AstroJuanCab (AIM)   
Moorhead, MN 56563                           cabanela <at> mnstate.edu (MSN)
                                             juancab <at> gmail.com (GTalk)
   Public PGP Key available at: http://www.cabanela.com/juan_public.asc
Rohit Garg | 6 Aug 20:10 2012
Picon

The if and how of MKL FFTs in EPD,

Hi all,

I am using the EPD for win 7 x64, academic edition. I need to run a
lot of FFTs and for this reason, I have been looking into using MKL
FFT routines from python. Unfortunately, the situation in this regard
is not clear to me. There seems to be some confusion regarding the use
of use_fastnumpy attribute[1] as well. In my case this attribute is
set to false. Forcing it to True does not change things. When I used
this script[2], I got no scaling from multiple cores. I see that [3]
others have also had issues with trying to get MKL FFTs running and
have resorted to hacks.

So, I have a few questions and it would be great if anyone could point
out the answers.

(a) Are the MKL FFT routines hooked up in EPD? Seems like some time
ago it was kinda-sorta in the development[4]. In case Enthought folks
are listening to this, there is HUGE demand for this. Please include
this in EPD asap if it is not already there.
(b) Can somebody please explain to me the meaning of the use_fastnumpy
attribute.
(c) Is this issue limited to academic licensees? Will a commercial EPD
use MKL FFTs out of the box?
(d) If there is a way to get it running, can somebody please enlighten me?

Cheers,

Rohit

[1] http://enthought-dev.117412.n3.nabble.com/What-s-this-numpy-use-fastnumpy-attribute-td4025299.html
[2] https://dpinte.wordpress.com/about/
[3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11752898/threaded-fft-in-enthought-python
[4] https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2011-April/028977.html

--

-- 
Rohit Garg

Graduate Student
School of Applied and Engineering Physics
Cornell University
Adam Hughes | 6 Aug 21:48 2012
Picon

Re: The if and how of MKL FFTs in EPD,

This may be a dumb question, but you've already tried doing FFT's using standard methods and are certain that they're too slow?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rohit Garg <rg534 <at> cornell.edu> wrote:
Hi all,

I am using the EPD for win 7 x64, academic edition. I need to run a
lot of FFTs and for this reason, I have been looking into using MKL
FFT routines from python. Unfortunately, the situation in this regard
is not clear to me. There seems to be some confusion regarding the use
of use_fastnumpy attribute[1] as well. In my case this attribute is
set to false. Forcing it to True does not change things. When I used
this script[2], I got no scaling from multiple cores. I see that [3]
others have also had issues with trying to get MKL FFTs running and
have resorted to hacks.

So, I have a few questions and it would be great if anyone could point
out the answers.

(a) Are the MKL FFT routines hooked up in EPD? Seems like some time
ago it was kinda-sorta in the development[4]. In case Enthought folks
are listening to this, there is HUGE demand for this. Please include
this in EPD asap if it is not already there.
(b) Can somebody please explain to me the meaning of the use_fastnumpy
attribute.
(c) Is this issue limited to academic licensees? Will a commercial EPD
use MKL FFTs out of the box?
(d) If there is a way to get it running, can somebody please enlighten me?

Cheers,

Rohit

[1] http://enthought-dev.117412.n3.nabble.com/What-s-this-numpy-use-fastnumpy-attribute-td4025299.html
[2] https://dpinte.wordpress.com/about/
[3] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11752898/threaded-fft-in-enthought-python
[4] https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2011-April/028977.html

--
Rohit Garg

Graduate Student
School of Applied and Engineering Physics
Cornell University
_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users

_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
Rohit Garg | 6 Aug 21:50 2012
Picon

Re: The if and how of MKL FFTs in EPD,

I tried the script here[1]. I am getting similar timings, my hardware
is similar and I see no scaling with more cores.

[1] https://dpinte.wordpress.com/about/

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Adam Hughes <hugadams <at> gwmail.gwu.edu> wrote:
> This may be a dumb question, but you've already tried doing FFT's using
> standard methods and are certain that they're too slow?
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rohit Garg <rg534 <at> cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am using the EPD for win 7 x64, academic edition. I need to run a
>> lot of FFTs and for this reason, I have been looking into using MKL
>> FFT routines from python. Unfortunately, the situation in this regard
>> is not clear to me. There seems to be some confusion regarding the use
>> of use_fastnumpy attribute[1] as well. In my case this attribute is
>> set to false. Forcing it to True does not change things. When I used
>> this script[2], I got no scaling from multiple cores. I see that [3]
>> others have also had issues with trying to get MKL FFTs running and
>> have resorted to hacks.
>>
>> So, I have a few questions and it would be great if anyone could point
>> out the answers.
>>
>> (a) Are the MKL FFT routines hooked up in EPD? Seems like some time
>> ago it was kinda-sorta in the development[4]. In case Enthought folks
>> are listening to this, there is HUGE demand for this. Please include
>> this in EPD asap if it is not already there.
>> (b) Can somebody please explain to me the meaning of the use_fastnumpy
>> attribute.
>> (c) Is this issue limited to academic licensees? Will a commercial EPD
>> use MKL FFTs out of the box?
>> (d) If there is a way to get it running, can somebody please enlighten me?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rohit
>>
>> [1]
>> http://enthought-dev.117412.n3.nabble.com/What-s-this-numpy-use-fastnumpy-attribute-td4025299.html
>> [2] https://dpinte.wordpress.com/about/
>> [3]
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11752898/threaded-fft-in-enthought-python
>> [4]
>> https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2011-April/028977.html
>>
>> --
>> Rohit Garg
>>
>> Graduate Student
>> School of Applied and Engineering Physics
>> Cornell University
>> _______________________________________________
>> EPD-Users mailing list
>> EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
>> https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> EPD-Users mailing list
> EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
> https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
>

--

-- 
Rohit Garg

Graduate Student
School of Applied and Engineering Physics
Cornell University
Jonathan March | 7 Aug 12:26 2012

Re: Error code 2349 upon installation

For anyone who experiences this problem:

The EPD 8 GUI beta, available at:
is available in 32-bit Free, 32-bit Full, and 64-bit Full versions.

EPD 8 GUI beta can be installed independently of any existing EPD 7 installations.

On startup, EPD 8 GUI beta offers the choice of using the GUI with an existing EPD 7 installation, or installing EPD 7.3. 

In this situation, the solution would be to tell it to install EPD 7.3. (To reiterate, this would be independent of any existing EPD 7 installation.)

Best,
Jonathan

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Nelson Auner <nauner <at> uchicago.edu> wrote:
Dear Enthought users,


I used the free version for a while, and really enjoyed it! I now have the 64bit version installer(for windows) I attempted to uninstall the free version and install the 64 bit version, but upon trying to install receive the error code 2349, and worse of all, I cannot reinstall the 32 bit version either (same error code)
I would prefer to use the 32 bit free version over no ipython at all..is there anything that I can do? 

Sincerely,

Chang Sue Ho

_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users


_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
Joshua Adelman | 10 Aug 21:49 2012
Picon

h5py version for next update

I just wanted to put my support in for updating h5py in the next release of EPD to the v2.1-beta. In our applications using the current version (2.0.0) included in EPD, we've run into a number of issues, that appear to be fixed by upgrading to the development version from http://code.google.com/p/h5py

Patching EPD on Linux machines has been fairly painless, but for some reason on our OS X systems, following the same procedure (from http://code.google.com/p/h5py/wiki/FAQ#Building_from_Mercurial), the dylibs get messed up. Specifying the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, allows h5py to properly load, but then breaks all sorts of stuff (VIM, IPython, etc).

If anyone has sucessfully upgraded h5py on a Mac, any insight would be appreciated. Hopefully though the distributed version in EPD will soon be updated though.

Thanks,
Josh

_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
George | 14 Aug 01:02 2012
Picon

Problems importing Multiarray

Hi there,


I recently installed EPD on a Windows 7 (64-bit) machine, but I have already a little bit of experience with Python. Before installing EPD on Windows, I worked on a Linux machine using only the standard Python distribution and related packages (NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, etc.). As soon as I tried to run my code in the Windows machine, I got the error I pasted below. There seem to  be problems with the multiarray package when importing NumPy. I never had this error before and the code as it is run smooth on the Linux machine. Do you guys have any suggestion?  Is the problem related with EPD, or I am doing something wrong on Windows?

Thank you,
George





ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\utils\py3compat.pyc in execfile(fname, glob, loc) 166 else: 167 filename = fname --> 168 exec compile(scripttext, filename, 'exec') in glob, loc 169 else: 170 def execfile(fname, *where): C:\Users\George\Dropbox\Python\PyFLUX\Paper1\load_loma.py in <module>() ----> 1 from FluxTowerCL import * 2 from FluxTowerFD import * 3 import matplotlib.pyplot as plt 4 import numpy as np 5 from datetime import datetime, date, time, timedelta C:\Users\George\Dropbox\Python\PyFLUX\FluxTowerCL.py in <module>() ----> 1 import numpy as np 2 import matplotlib.pyplot as plt 3 from scipy.io import loadmat 4 from datetime import datetime, date, time, timedelta 5 import sys C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py in <module>() 141 return loader(*packages, **options) 142 --> 143 import add_newdocs 144 __all__ = ['add_newdocs'] 145 C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py in <module>() 7 # core/fromnumeric.py, core/defmatrix.py up-to-date. 8 ----> 9 from numpy.lib import add_newdoc 10 11 ############################################################################### C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py in <module>() 2 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 3 ----> 4 from type_check import * 5 from index_tricks import * 6 from function_base import * C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py in <module>() 6 'common_type', 'datetime_data'] 7 ----> 8 import numpy.core.numeric as _nx 9 from numpy.core.numeric import asarray, asanyarray, array, isnan, \ 10 obj2sctype, zeros C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py in <module>() 3 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 4 ----> 5 import multiarray 6 import umath 7 import _internal # for freeze programs ImportError: No module named multiarray

_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users
George | 14 Aug 01:52 2012
Picon

Re: Problems importing Multiarray

Update: the problem doesn't seem related with my code; if I simply try to import numpy from any console I get the same error:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) C:\Users\George\<ipython-input-1-4ee716103900> in <module>() ----> 1 import numpy as np C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py in <module>() 141 return loader(*packages, **options) 142 --> 143 import add_newdocs 144 __all__ = ['add_newdocs'] 145 C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py in <module>() 7 # core/fromnumeric.py, core/defmatrix.py up-to-date. 8 ----> 9 from numpy.lib import add_newdoc 10 11 ############################################################################### C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py in <module>() 2 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 3 ----> 4 from type_check import * 5 from index_tricks import * 6 from function_base import * C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py in <module>() 6 'common_type', 'datetime_data'] 7 ----> 8 import numpy.core.numeric as _nx 9 from numpy.core.numeric import asarray, asanyarray, array, isnan, \ 10 obj2sctype, zeros C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py in <module>() 3 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 4 ----> 5 import multiarray 6 import umath 7 import _internal # for freeze programs ImportError: No module named multiarray

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
George


On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM, George <grub80 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I recently installed EPD on a Windows 7 (64-bit) machine, but I have already a little bit of experience with Python. Before installing EPD on Windows, I worked on a Linux machine using only the standard Python distribution and related packages (NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, etc.). As soon as I tried to run my code in the Windows machine, I got the error I pasted below. There seem to  be problems with the multiarray package when importing NumPy. I never had this error before and the code as it is run smooth on the Linux machine. Do you guys have any suggestion?  Is the problem related with EPD, or I am doing something wrong on Windows?

Thank you,
George





ImportError Traceback (most recent call last) C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\IPython\utils\py3compat.pyc in execfile(fname, glob, loc) 166 else: 167 filename = fname --> 168 exec compile(scripttext, filename, 'exec') in glob, loc 169 else: 170 def execfile(fname, *where): C:\Users\George\Dropbox\Python\PyFLUX\Paper1\load_loma.py in <module>() ----> 1 from FluxTowerCL import * 2 from FluxTowerFD import * 3 import matplotlib.pyplot as plt 4 import numpy as np 5 from datetime import datetime, date, time, timedelta C:\Users\George\Dropbox\Python\PyFLUX\FluxTowerCL.py in <module>() ----> 1 import numpy as np 2 import matplotlib.pyplot as plt 3 from scipy.io import loadmat 4 from datetime import datetime, date, time, timedelta 5 import sys C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py in <module>() 141 return loader(*packages, **options) 142 --> 143 import add_newdocs 144 __all__ = ['add_newdocs'] 145 C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py in <module>() 7 # core/fromnumeric.py, core/defmatrix.py up-to-date. 8 ----> 9 from numpy.lib import add_newdoc 10 11 ############################################################################### C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\__init__.py in <module>() 2 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 3 ----> 4 from type_check import * 5 from index_tricks import * 6 from function_base import * C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py in <module>() 6 'common_type', 'datetime_data'] 7 ----> 8 import numpy.core.numeric as _nx 9 from numpy.core.numeric import asarray, asanyarray, array, isnan, \ 10 obj2sctype, zeros C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py in <module>() 3 from numpy.version import version as __version__ 4 ----> 5 import multiarray 6 import umath 7 import _internal # for freeze programs ImportError: No module named multiarray


_______________________________________________
EPD-Users mailing list
EPD-Users <at> enthought.com
https://mail.enthought.com/mailman/listinfo/epd-users

Gmane