iNecas | 1 May 12:27 2011
Picon

[Cucumber:7731] Re: Code Completion for Gherkin - help shape the spec!

Hello,

I've made some commits to the gherkin-editor. In short, it's now able
to find out,
 what the user have entered, search for steps that match this text,
show the suggestion using jquery-ui-autocomplete plugin, mask input
keys,
when the suggestion is on, to allow to use arrow keys, enter and
escape to
control the suggestions, and after choosing one, it replaces the
current text.

I have also made some really simple spec file using jasmine framework
for the
autocompletion.

I have made a pull request with this changes. I would like to hear
your opinion
on this approach.

Now, I am going to implement suggestions about code completion
described  in
https://github.com/aslakhellesoy/gherkin/wiki/Code-Completion. I like
the idea of nesting steps
from gherkin files under their step definitions.

I would like also to do the autocompletion the way, RubyMine (and
perhaps some others)
does:
when a suggestion is chosen, in the completed text you can jump
(Continue reading)

iNecas | 1 May 13:30 2011
Picon

[Cucumber:7732] Re: Code Completion for Gherkin - help shape the spec!

In addition, the support for nested examples from gherkin files is
also included in the pull request now.

On May 1, 12:27 pm, iNecas <neca...@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've made some commits to the gherkin-editor. In short, it's now able
> to find out,
>  what the user have entered, search for steps that match this text,
> show the suggestion using jquery-ui-autocomplete plugin, mask input
> keys,
> when the suggestion is on, to allow to use arrow keys, enter and
> escape to
> control the suggestions, and after choosing one, it replaces the
> current text.
>
> I have also made some really simple spec file using jasmine framework
> for the
> autocompletion.
>
> I have made a pull request with this changes. I would like to hear
> your opinion
> on this approach.
>
> Now, I am going to implement suggestions about code completion
> described  inhttps://github.com/aslakhellesoy/gherkin/wiki/Code-Completion. I like
> the idea of nesting steps
> from gherkin files under their step definitions.
>
> I would like also to do the autocompletion the way, RubyMine (and
(Continue reading)

aslak hellesoy | 2 May 00:07 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7733] Re: Code Completion for Gherkin - help shape the spec!



On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:27 AM, iNecas <necasik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hello,

I've made some commits to the gherkin-editor. In short, it's now able
to find out,
 what the user have entered, search for steps that match this text,
show the suggestion using jquery-ui-autocomplete plugin, mask input
keys,
when the suggestion is on, to allow to use arrow keys, enter and
escape to
control the suggestions, and after choosing one, it replaces the
current text.

I have also made some really simple spec file using jasmine framework
for the
autocompletion.

I have made a pull request with this changes. I would like to hear
your opinion
on this approach.

Now, I am going to implement suggestions about code completion
described  in
https://github.com/aslakhellesoy/gherkin/wiki/Code-Completion. I like
the idea of nesting steps
from gherkin files under their step definitions.

I would like also to do the autocompletion the way, RubyMine (and
perhaps some others)
does:
when a suggestion is chosen, in the completed text you can jump
between arguments using a tab button,
so for example the step definition
 /^I fill in "[^"]+" with "[^"]+"$/
would be completed as
I fill in <arg1> with <arg2>
with <arg1> selected to be replaced immediately the user starts
typing, and when pressing <tab>,
<arg2> would be selected to be replaced.


This looks really promising Ivan. I just pulled down the code now and will play with it on the long flight I'm about to board.

Cheers,
Aslak
 
All the best,
Ivan
On Apr 22, 2:03 am, aslak hellesoy <aslak.helle...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM, aslak hellesoy
> <aslak.helle... <at> gmail.com>wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM, aslak hellesoy <aslak.helle...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>wrote:
>
> >> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Konstantin Kudryashov <
> >> ever....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >>>  I'm in! How can i help?
>
> >> By improving one of the editors you use (or would like to use) I guess.
> >> How about helping me implement a Gherkin editor based on Ace? (
> >>http://ace.ajax.org/)
>
> >> Here is my vision:
> >> * A small node.js app based on express and dust for templates (I have
> >> started on that)
>
> > It was a little tricky to serve ace from a node app, so I sent this pull
> > request:https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/pull/217
>
> >> * Bundle with a i18n syntax highlighter for Gherkin (I have started on
> >> that too)
>
> > That's started too:
>
> >https://github.com/cucumber/ace/blob/gherkin-mode/lib/ace/mode/gherki...
> >https://github.com/cucumber/ace/blob/gherkin-mode/lib/ace/mode/gherki...
>
> Ok - I have tied all the loose ends together and started a project:
>
> https://github.com/cucumber/gherkin-editor
>
> Have a look at it. Play with it. Impress me with your contributions and
> ideas :-)
>
> Now I'm off the grid for a week or two.
>
> Aslak
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >  * Start implementing code-completion in Ace
> >> * Reads and writes files using WebDav and/or REST:
> >>https://github.com/mikedeboer/jsdav
>
> >> Ace doesn't have a code completion module (google ace code completion),
> >> but building it on top with pure dom/jQuery should't be too hard. Writing
> >> some real code will also help shape the code completion spec.
>
> >> I'm going to be away for 10 days, but I'll get back with more (and share
> >> my code) when I'm back. Are these technologies something you'd be able to
> >> work with? Did you have anything else in mind?
>
> >> --------------------------------------------------
> >>> Konstantin Kudryashov (everzet)
> >>>http://about.me/everzet/bio
>
> >>>  On среда, 20 апреля 2011 г. at 10:14, aslak hellesoy wrote:
>
> >>>  Hi folks (cc'ed SpecFlow/Cuke4PHP/Behat guys)
>
> >>> Editor code completion is a sorely needed feature for anyone working with
> >>> Gherkin documents. I have started on a spec for this:
> >>>https://github.com/aslakhellesoy/gherkin/wiki/Code-Completion
>
> >>> I'd love feedback from:
>
> >>> * People working on editor support for Gherkin/Cucumber
>
> >>> * People working on Cucumber clones
>
> >>> * Users with strong opinions on the subject
>
> >>> Please respond to this thread (on cukes-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org) or comment
> >>> directly in the wiki page.
>
> >>> Personally I'll be working on code completion support in the Ace editor -
> >>> you can already see an embryonic demo here:http://cukes.info/trycuke/(I
> >>> have a local version with syntax highlighting).
>
> >>> Cheers,
> >>>  Aslak
>
> >>>   --
> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> >>> "Cukes" group.
> >>> To post to this group, send email to cukes-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org.
> >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >>> cukes+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org.
> >>> For more options, visit this group at
> >>>http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.
Chris | 2 May 05:16 2011
Picon

[Cucumber:7734] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)

Thanks all for working to address this,

Taking the time to download the DevKit....exe and run it did enable my
system to compile the json gem C implementation for the install to
move forward.  I didn't want to report back, though, until I was able
to get a Cuke test to run.

But they don't.

> rake cucumber

My next hurdle is related to the bundler error - some how not being
able to parse YAML files.  In this case, Cucumber's YAML file (I
assume it is Ruby192p0\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems
\cucumber-0.10.2\cucumber.yml).

I did come across this post [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/
4980877/rails-error-couldnt-parse-yaml] which gives a couple different
answers - but none of them work for me:

1. Clarify the YAML engine in config/boot.rb - adding the 2 lines
doesn't change the given error.  I'm guessing because it is in the
startup of Cucumber instead of the app.

2. Edit the YAML file - the file is some code followed by... a bunch
of lines with some code.  So I don't actually know the format of the
YAML file that is attempting to be parsed to see what Bundler+Psych
(really? that's a name to inspire confidence...) wrong.

3. Downgrade bundler to less than 1.0.10 - impossible because both
Cucumber-rails 0.4.1 and gherkin 2.3.6 rely on that version (why do
they rely on bad versions of bundler??)

So... any suggestions for Round #2?

Also, while I do appreciate what it must have taken to bring Rails and
Cucumber up from nothing, these kinds of problems just make the
platform less and less appealing.  The noise of old install steps and
how they don't work simply adds to my confusion.  Is there a URL to
canonical directions for installing the newest Cucumber on various
platforms?

Thanks again all.

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

Matt Wynne | 2 May 10:21 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7735] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)


On 2 May 2011, at 04:16, Chris wrote:

> Thanks all for working to address this,
> 
> Taking the time to download the DevKit....exe and run it did enable my
> system to compile the json gem C implementation for the install to
> move forward.  I didn't want to report back, though, until I was able
> to get a Cuke test to run.
> 
> But they don't.
> 
>> rake cucumber
> 
> My next hurdle is related to the bundler error - some how not being
> able to parse YAML files.  In this case, Cucumber's YAML file (I
> assume it is Ruby192p0\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems
> \cucumber-0.10.2\cucumber.yml).

This doesn't make any sense. The file you've referenced here is the configuration for Cucumber's own
builds which is used by people who are developing new versions of Cucumber. What lead you to this assumption?

Can you show us the backtrace of the error message you're getting? Please paste it into a gist / pastie and
post the URL here.

Also, some more context would be useful for those of us who haven't followed the whole thread. Are you
running a Rails app, for example?

> I did come across this post [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/
> 4980877/rails-error-couldnt-parse-yaml] which gives a couple different
> answers - but none of them work for me:
> 
> 1. Clarify the YAML engine in config/boot.rb - adding the 2 lines
> doesn't change the given error.  I'm guessing because it is in the
> startup of Cucumber instead of the app.
> 
> 2. Edit the YAML file - the file is some code followed by... a bunch
> of lines with some code.  So I don't actually know the format of the
> YAML file that is attempting to be parsed to see what Bundler+Psych
> (really? that's a name to inspire confidence...) wrong.
> 
> 3. Downgrade bundler to less than 1.0.10 - impossible because both
> Cucumber-rails 0.4.1 and gherkin 2.3.6 rely on that version (why do
> they rely on bad versions of bundler??)

4. This is a guess, but it might well work:

    > del config/cucumber.yml 

The config file isn't that helpful anyway, and if it's getting in your way, just delete it for now and see if
that fixes things (or at least lets you see the next hurdle :)

> So... any suggestions for Round #2?
> 
> Also, while I do appreciate what it must have taken to bring Rails and
> Cucumber up from nothing, these kinds of problems just make the
> platform less and less appealing.  The noise of old install steps and
> how they don't work simply adds to my confusion.  Is there a URL to
> canonical directions for installing the newest Cucumber on various
> platforms?

Cucumber's documentation, such as it is, is all maintained by helpful volunteers like you and me who have
taken the initiative to fix the things they thought needed to be fixed. Please try to remember that when you
make comparisons (even in your own mind) with other platforms, which often have whole teams of people paid
specifically to write documentation. I don't personally use Ruby 1.9.2 on Windows, so I'm not best placed
to write up / review those specific instructions, but it sounds like you are. Please take a look here and
correct / extend if necessary:

https://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wiki/Install

> 
> Thanks again all.
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
> To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.
> 

cheers,
Matt

--
Freelance programmer & coach
Founder, http://relishapp.com
+44(0)7974430184 | http://twitter.com/mattwynne

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

tomas.pospisek | 2 May 13:53 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7736] Options for debugging

On 26.04.2011 at 14:58 Matt Wynne baited the trolls with:

> I have never heard of any serious Ruby user using Eclipse for development. There have been some tools (I
remember something called Aptana RadRails) kicking around, but I'm not sure who uses them or how well
maintained they are.

I've been programming with vim and Aptana RadRails (which is pretty much Eclipse + a drop of magic sauce) in
parallel and been pretty happy with it (I could imagine a better future with vim if it wasn't so extremely
tied to "a one screen to rule them all" paradigm, but whatever). I hope that by using Aptana I haven't barred
myself forever from the "serious" programmer qualification...
*t

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

Chris | 2 May 15:23 2011
Picon

[Cucumber:7737] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)

No problem Matt,

For the console output:
http://pastie.org/1856524

Like I said, I was guessing at what YAML file it was failing on
because the stack trace gives me no explicit filename nor path.

Context: trying to get Cucumber running against a RoR 3 project on a
Windows 7 box I've done a bunch of Rails development on.  Had a hard
time finding actual tutorials, let alone recent ones, so was going
over OEM's though the web page has very little in terms of concrete
commands to perform (makes some sense considering the platform
fractionalization going on), but annoying.

WORK AROUND
At least to the first order (ie. very simple test and app) that
Cucumber and maybe gherkin don't actually care about bundler versions
(1.0.10+) since downgrading bundler to 1.0.7 seems to work.  I didn't
freeze bundler local to the RoR project, and gem says I've only got
1.0.7 and 1.0.3 installed on the machine, so... it is working for now.

If I try your suggestion and delete config/cucumber.yml, it cannot
run.  If I have an empty config/cucumber.yml, it says I need at least
a default profile to run.  If I comment out everything except the
default line, eg:
    default: <%= std_opts %> features
it still crashes cucumber's profile reader when I use bundler 1.0.12
(newest).

What was the other question?

Thanks

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

Matt Wynne | 2 May 15:34 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7738] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)


On 2 May 2011, at 14:23, Chris wrote:

> No problem Matt,
> 
> For the console output:
> http://pastie.org/1856524
> 
> Like I said, I was guessing at what YAML file it was failing on
> because the stack trace gives me no explicit filename nor path.

The clue is
here.

C:/Tools/Ruby192p0/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/cucumber-0.10.2/lib/cucumber/cli/profile_loader.rb:69:in 
`cucumber_yml'

I agree it's not especially easy to see what's going on. As you say it would be more helpful if Cucumber gave a
better error message when it wasn't able to read your config file. Would you like to submit a patch?

> Context: trying to get Cucumber running against a RoR 3 project on a
> Windows 7 box I've done a bunch of Rails development on.  Had a hard
> time finding actual tutorials, let alone recent ones, so was going
> over OEM's though the web page has very little in terms of concrete
> commands to perform (makes some sense considering the platform
> fractionalization going on), but annoying.

It strikes me this problem isn't going to be limited to Windows users - it's general issue with Ruby 1.9.2 and
Bundler 1.0.10, and one we'll need to resolve.

> WORK AROUND
> At least to the first order (ie. very simple test and app) that
> Cucumber and maybe gherkin don't actually care about bundler versions
> (1.0.10+) since downgrading bundler to 1.0.7 seems to work.  I didn't
> freeze bundler local to the RoR project, and gem says I've only got
> 1.0.7 and 1.0.3 installed on the machine, so... it is working for now.

Great.

> If I try your suggestion and delete config/cucumber.yml, it cannot
> run.

Can you be more specific? Does it give you an error message?

>  If I have an empty config/cucumber.yml, it says I need at least
> a default profile to run.  If I comment out everything except the
> default line, eg:
>    default: <%= std_opts %> features
> it still crashes cucumber's profile reader when I use bundler 1.0.12
> (newest).

I presume PSych doens't like the <% %> templating stuff. If you must have a cucumber.yml, try this instead:

  default: --format progress features

> What was the other question?

I have no idea. If you reply and keep the thread of the discussion in your email, then we'd be able to look back
and find out.

> 
> Thanks
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
> To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe@...
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.
> 

cheers,
Matt

matt@...
07974 430184

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe@...
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

Luis Lavena | 2 May 15:49 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7739] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Chris <c-soc-google@...> wrote:
> No problem Matt,
>
> For the console output:
> http://pastie.org/1856524
>

As Matt mentioned, the problem is Cucumber choking when reads
cucumber.yml file in your project.

Does it contains tabs? does it contains accents or anything different?

Can you regenerate it?

I've been using Cucumber with Ruby on Windows 1.9.2 and 1.8.7 without issues.

I've spotted this issue with loading cucumber.yml and is due incorrect
encodings in the YAML file, sometimes cucumber.yml and others
config/database.yml

-- 
Luis Lavena
AREA 17
-
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.

Matt Wynne | 2 May 15:52 2011
Picon

Re: [Cucumber:7740] Re: How to install Cucumber on Windows? (ie. use json_pure)


On 2 May 2011, at 14:49, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Chris <c-soc-google@...> wrote:
>> No problem Matt,
>> 
>> For the console output:
>> http://pastie.org/1856524
>> 
> 
> As Matt mentioned, the problem is Cucumber choking when reads
> cucumber.yml file in your project.
> 
> Does it contains tabs? does it contains accents or anything different?
> 
> Can you regenerate it?
> 
> I've been using Cucumber with Ruby on Windows 1.9.2 and 1.8.7 without issues.
> 
> I've spotted this issue with loading cucumber.yml and is due incorrect
> encodings in the YAML file, sometimes cucumber.yml and others
> config/database.yml

So it isn't just the <% %> templating stuff? I'd assumed it was to do with that.

> 
> -- 
> Luis Lavena
> AREA 17
> -
> Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
> but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
> Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
> To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.
> 

cheers,
Matt

matt@...
07974 430184

--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cukes" group.
To post to this group, send email to cukes@...
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cukes+unsubscribe <at> googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cukes?hl=en.


Gmane