opkg-0.3.0-rc1 Release Candidate
Paul Barker <paul@...
2014-12-22 00:47:14 GMT
I'd like to announce the release of opkg-0.3.0-rc1 as of 2014-12-22. This is the
first 'proper' release candidate for v0.3.0 and needs lots of testing!
This release will soon be available from the new download location with hosting
provided by The Yocto Project:
It is mirrored at and available immediately from:
GPG signatures are available in the file "opkg-0.3.0-rc1.tar.gz.asc", hosted at both
Go forth and test!
As no release notes were produced for v0.3.0-rc0, a description of the changes
in v0.3.0-rc0 is included here.
- Reformat all C code so that it is easier to read (issue 119).
- Fix a few minor logic bugs.
- Tidy up `autogen.sh` and ensure it runs correctly with old versions of
`aclocal` and non-bash shells.
- Rearrange test scripts into logical categories.
- Fix segfault when reinstalling a package with `force_reinstall` set (issue
- opkg now depends on libarchive.
- Rename `opkg-cl` to `opkg`.
- Add config option `autoremove` equivalent to `--autoremove` command line
- Add config option `overwrite_no_owner` allowing un-owned files to be
overwritten during package install (issue 99).
- Add config options `connect_timeout_ms`, `transfer_timeout_ms` and
`follow_location` for use with CURL.
- Add command line option `--volatile-cache`.
- Add config option `no_install_recommends` and command line option
`--no-install-recommends` to prevent the installation of packages listed as
- Add command line option `--add-exclude` to add packages to an exclusion list.
- Add config option `ignore_maintainer` to silently ignore changes to files
listed as Conffiles during a package upgrade (issue 128, part 2).
- Add config option `lock_file`. This option replaces the configure script
argument `--with-opkglockfile`, allowing the lock file path to be specified at
- Add config options `info_dir` and `status_file`. Together with the config
option `lists_dir` which existed previously, these options replace the
configure script argument `--with-opkglibdir`, allowing the paths to the the
data files and directories to be specified at run-time and with better
- Add config option `signature_type` allowing the signature verification backend
to be selected at runtime. Both openssl and gpg support may not coexist within
a single build of opkg.
- Add config option `check_pkg_signature` which allows individual package files
to be signed and verified.
- Add config option `cache_local_files` to copy local files into the cache when
downloading. If this option is not set, any URL with a `file://` is symlinked
into the cache rather than downloaded (issue 139).
- Drop support for the old `lists_dir` config option syntax. The new syntax
introduced in v0.2.3 must now be used.
- Add support for passing package filename arguments to `opkg info` (issue 125).
- Add support for implicit and explicit FTP-over-SSL when using the curl
- Add support for a https proxy using the curl download backend.
- Add support for http basic authentication when using the CURL download
- Add support for ASCII-armored gpg signatures.
- Change the default cache directory to `/var/cache` (issue 131).
- Improve package and package feed verification.
- Improve download caching.
- Improve heuristics to determine whether an argument is a package name, remote
URI or local path.
- Improve detection and handling of package conflicts.
- Improve handling of package flags (such as hold) and status.
- Improve proxy authentication when using the curl download backend.
- Allow interrupted downloads to be resumed when curl is enabled (issue 115).
- Only upgrade installed packages during `opkg upgrade` (issue 127).
- Correctly handle pacakges which list a virtual package in Provides, Replaces
and Conflicts (issue 89).
- Ensure that the lock file can be created by creating the parent directory if
it does not already exist (issue 110).
- Issue a NOTICE message not an ERROR message if files listed as Conffiles have
been changed by the user prior to a package upgrade but the `force_maintainer`
option has not been set (issue 128, part 1).
- Call prerm and postrm scripts on package upgrade (issue 104).
- Only install `opkg-key` when gpg support is enabled.
- Add `opkg-key reset` command to remove all trusted keys.
- Add `opkg-key populate` command to populated the list of trusted keys using
the contents of `/usr/share/opkg/keyrings`.
- Improve usage output of `opkg-key`.
- `update-alternatives` has been moved out of opkg and into opkg-utils.
- Add functions `opkg_conf_get_option` and `opkg_conf_set_option`, direct
access to `options` array is no longer allowed.
- Add documentation in `developer-doc` directory.
- Add `scripts/checkpatch.pl`, adapted from the Linux kernel. This script may be
used to check that patches match the expected coding style and are free from
some common mistakes.
- Remove confusing `from_upgrade` argument from `opkg_remove_pkg`.
- Drop the configure script arguments `--with-opkglockfile`, `--with-opkglibdir`
- Drop unnecessary source files under 'tests'.
- Deprecate the libopkg API defined in 'libopkg/opkg.c'. The configure script
argument `--enable-libopkg-api` must be given to build this API.
- Improve testsuite with more tests, `make check` now runs the testsuite and
exits non-zero if any test fails.
- Improve `autogen.sh` script for developers & maintainers, no longer runs
configure directly. `./autogen.sh --clean` now removes all generated files
without requiring configure to have been ran.
- Rename `conf` -> `opkg_config` to prevent global symbol clashes (issue 92).
- Allow pkg-config to be used to find the gpg-error library.
- Use libarchive to extract packages instead of hand-rolled tar, ar and gzip
handling (adds dependency on libarchive).
- Remove libbb!
- Lots of code refactoring and minor improvements.