I've released MKVToolNix 6.8.0. There were tons of bug fixes for the Windows builds, especially for the 64bit builds.
The one new feature that is present is support for h.265/HEVC video: but only for reading it from elementary streams or from other Matroska files. My initial plan was to have reading it from MPEG transport streams work as well, but alas, free time is in short supply, and this release is a week overdue already.
The HEVC support has been implemented by Rovi Corp (DivX). I've merged their changes, updated them to the current code base and cleaned them up somewhat. Their work is much appreciated.
For package maintainers nothing has changed compared to 6.7.0.
Here are the usual links:
...to the source code:
...to the binaries:
Here's the full ChangeLog since release 6.7.0:
* Released v6.8.0.
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: new feature: added support for h.265/HEVC
by merging the patches from DivX/Rovi Corp. So far HEVC is only
supported as elementary streams and read from other Matroska
* mkvmerge: enhancement: The deprecated ISO 639-1 code "iw" is now
recognized for Hebrew.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The AC3 packetizer will re-derive the
sampling frequency and the number of channels from the
bitstream. This way obviously invalid information from the source
container like a sampling frequency of 0 Hz will be fixed.
* mkvmerge: enhancements: AVI reader: audio chunks with obvious
wrong size information (bigger than 10 MB) will be skipped.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: When reading M2TS files belonging to an MPLS
playlist mkvmerge will now only copy packets whose timestamps lie
between the »in time« and »out time« restrictions from the
playlist's entry corresponding to that M2TS file. Fixes #985.
* all: Windows 64bit: fixed return value checks for opening
files. Fixes #972.
* all: Windows: when redirecting the program's output with cmd.exe
(e.g. »mkvinfo file.mkv > info.txt«) the programs will no longer
write two line feed characters (\r) per carriage return character
(\n). Fixes #970.
* all: Windows: the default charset for the files created with
»--redirect-output« has been changed from the system's local
charset to UTF-8. Just like before it can be changed with
»--output-charset«. See #970.
* all: bug fix: Windows: messages written to the console (cmd.exe)
are not re-encoded to the local charset and back to UTF-16 before
they're handed over to ConsoleWriteW(). This fixes outputting
Unicode characters to the console that are not part of the local
charset. Fixes #971.
* extract: bug fix: using names of non-existing files in
»attachments«, »chapters«, »cuesheet« or »tags« mode caused
mkvextract to crash instead of emitting a proper error
message. Fixes #964.
* mmg: bug fix: fixed the check for WebM-compatible track types
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed muxing Sorenson v3 (SVQ3) video from
* mkvmerge, mkvextract, mkvpropedit: enhancement: attachments in
Matroska files with a missing FileUID element are not ignored
anymore even though they violate the specs. mkvmerge generates a
new FileUID instead.
* mkvmerge: re-built with the 64bit build for Windows with a newer
compiler version in order to fix #957. It was due to a bug in gcc:
* mmg: bug fix: mkvmerge's file identification is written to a
temporary file with --redirect-output and from there into mmg
instead of directly from mkvmerge. This prevents from character
re-coding done by wxWidgets 3.0.0 on Windows. Fixes #959.
* installer: enhancement: the architecture (32bit vs 64bit) is
mentioned in the interface.
* installer: bug fix: the installation directory for 64bit builds
will default to the proper directory (»C:\Program Files« instead
of »C:\Program Files (x86)«). Fixes #956.