Marcin Cieslak | 16 Aug 16:24 2008
Picon

Feed panel "Mark As Read / Mark As New" change proposal

Hello,

I've just started to use Multizilla because of its build-in RSS feed 
reader. Once I've received a feed with 444 items I've found that it's 
very difficult to find a "Mark All Read" option. I tried right clicking 
on some news items and only "Mark All New" was available.

I couldn't figure this out until.... I looked at the code.
Then it was easy - click on the new item with a right click (don't use 
left click since it will be marked as read...) and voilĂ , the options 
are there.

Since I find hiding options this way a bit counter-intuitive and to make 
Feed Panel behaviour be a bit more consistent with the Mozilla's Mail 
and News reader, I have implemented a small change:

- Mark as New / as Read options will always be visible, only sometimes 
disabled (greyed-out)
- A check mark indicates selected message status.

Attached please find a patch against CVS (with some white space change 
to the XUL file it applies to the 1.8.3.4e as well).

If you want to try that yourself on a running installation, just unpack 
the multiviews.jar file from the "components" directory to some 
temporary directory, apply changes and re-pack the jar file again. 
(Jarfiles are more or less normal zipfiles).

--Marcin
(Continue reading)

paul | 22 Aug 22:21 2008

Welcome back HJ

I am glad to read of your improved health and happy for your family. You
have given us a gift of great software but that's nothing compared to
the gift a father can be to his children.
Raj Bhaskar | 25 Aug 10:47 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: Feed panel "Mark As Read / Mark As New" change proposal

Marcin Cieslak wrote:

Hi Marcin,

> I've just started to use Multizilla because of its build-in RSS feed 
> reader. Once I've received a feed with 444 items I've found that it's 
> very difficult to find a "Mark All Read" option. I tried right clicking 
> on some news items and only "Mark All New" was available.
<snip />
> Attached please find a patch against CVS (with some white space change 
> to the XUL file it applies to the 1.8.3.4e as well).

Please file a bug in our Bugzilla (bugzilla.mozdev.org) and attach the 
patch that you've done there.  There's less chance of it being lost 
there than on the newsgroup.

Cheers,
Raj.
Marcin Cieslak | 27 Aug 14:26 2008
Picon

Re: Feed panel "Mark As Read / Mark As New" change proposal

Raj Bhaskar wrote:
>> Attached please find a patch against CVS (with some white space change 
>> to the XUL file it applies to the 1.8.3.4e as well).
> 
> Please file a bug in our Bugzilla (bugzilla.mozdev.org) and attach the 
> patch that you've done there.  There's less chance of it being lost 
> there than on the newsgroup.
> 
> Cheers,
> Raj.

Done, it's https://www.mozdev.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=19829

Thank you.

--Marcin
Picon

Chime in when you want...

Hi,

You might, or might not have noticed, but the weblog (1) gives some 
(great?) detail about the upcoming release, and we would love you to 
chime in here (by lack of comments in the feed) with your ideas.

1) http://www.multizilla.org/weblog/weblog.html

Thank you,
Michael
Picon

Re: Welcome back HJ

paul wrote:
> I am glad to read of your improved health and happy for your family. You
> have given us a gift of great software but that's nothing compared to
> the gift a father can be to his children.

In name of our family, and dad of course; thank you Paul!

Michael

Gmane