Lewis G Rosenthal | 3 Jul 05:13 2005

Security Precaution warning message, but nothing when clicked

Hi, all, and thanks HJ, for the main reason I stick with Moz and don't 
move to FF. :-)

I'm currently running: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.8b2) 
Gecko/20050626 MultiZilla/1.8.0.1k

I normally use SkyPilot Classic as my theme, in case this will have any 
bearing on my issue (this build of SkyPilot isn't quite up to 1.8b2, so 
as an example, the button images in Calendar are somewhat broken; I 
haven't found other things out of place at this point, however).

Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security 
precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window, telling 
me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation key. However, 
upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes z-order (Moz titlebar 
gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box surfaces. To get focus on 
Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I close the warning with the 
close button, just to get it off the screen.

I've perused the buglist for this, and can't seem to come up with 
anything related to it, so I'm not sure whether this is just on OS/2, or 
whether this just occurs with MultiZilla 1.8.0.1 builds.

Any suggestions? Is there a preference to turn off such warnings?

--

-- 
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
(Continue reading)

Rajnish Bhaskar | 4 Jul 10:25 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: Security Precaution warning message, but nothing when clicked

Hi Lewis,

> Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security
> precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window,
> telling me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation
> key. However, upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes
> z-order (Moz titlebar gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box
> surfaces. To get focus on Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I
> close the warning with the close button, just to get it off the
> screen.

Does this still occur when you switch to one of the default 
themes (Classic or Modern)?

I've not seen that happening in any of the MultiZilla builds that 
I've used -- my current build is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows 
NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050627 MultiZilla/1.8.0.1n

You could try replacing your current multiviews.jar with 
http://downloads.mozdev.org/multizilla/multiviews-nightly.jar and 
see if that helps.

> I've perused the buglist for this, and can't seem to come up with
> anything related to it, so I'm not sure whether this is just on
> OS/2, or whether this just occurs with MultiZilla 1.8.0.1 builds.

It could be just an OS/2 thing, since I've not heard anyone 
mention any problems on the three major platforms.

> Any suggestions? Is there a preference to turn off such warnings?
(Continue reading)

Miles | 4 Jul 10:46 2005
Picon

Re: Security Precaution warning message, but nothing when clicked

Rajnish Bhaskar wrote:

>Hi Lewis,
>
>  
>
>>Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security
>>precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window,
>>telling me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation
>>key. However, upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes
>>z-order (Moz titlebar gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box
>>surfaces. To get focus on Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I
>>close the warning with the close button, just to get it off the
>>screen.
>>    
>>
>
>Does this still occur when you switch to one of the default 
>themes (Classic or Modern)?
>
>I've not seen that happening in any of the MultiZilla builds that 
>I've used -- my current build is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows 
>NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050627 MultiZilla/1.8.0.1n
>
>You could try replacing your current multiviews.jar with 
>http://downloads.mozdev.org/multizilla/multiviews-nightly.jar and 
>see if that helps.
>
>  
>
(Continue reading)

Lewis G Rosenthal | 4 Jul 16:39 2005

Re: Security Precaution warning message, but nothing when clicked

Thanks for the quick and insightful reply, Raj. Some follow-up, below:

On 07/04/2005 04:25 am, Rajnish Bhaskar thus wrote :
> Hi Lewis,
>
>   
>> Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security
>> precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window,
>> telling me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation
>> key. However, upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes
>> z-order (Moz titlebar gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box
>> surfaces. To get focus on Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I
>> close the warning with the close button, just to get it off the
>> screen.
>>     
>
> Does this still occur when you switch to one of the default 
> themes (Classic or Modern)?
>
>   
I switched to one of my spare "virgin" profiles (have to be careful how 
we use that word these days, Virgin Enterprises seems to be on a rampage 
in the US courts over trademark infringement...) and installed the same 
xpi as I've been using (1.8.0.1k). Upon restarting, I went straight to 
T-Mobile's homepage and logged in. Upon hitting the "secure login" link, 
I got the same condition (plain vanilla Classic theme, as built with Moz 
1.8b2).
> I've not seen that happening in any of the MultiZilla builds that 
> I've used -- my current build is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows 
> NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050627 MultiZilla/1.8.0.1n
(Continue reading)

bugs4hj | 4 Jul 23:30 2005
Picon

RE: Security Precaution warning message, but nothing when clicked

Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal <at> 2rosenthals.com> wrote:

>Hi, all, and thanks HJ, for the main reason I stick with Moz and don't 
>move to FF. :-)

I'm sure that my father would love to hear this, but it will take another two months before he returns, so he
won't read this. However, thanks in name of him!

>Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security 
>precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window, telling 
>me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation key. However, 
>upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes z-order (Moz titlebar 
>gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box surfaces. To get focus on 
>Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I close the warning with the 
>close button, just to get it off the screen.

I have a few question which I hope you will/can answer for me:

1) a middle mouse click on a Browser Info Message should remove/close the BIM. Does that work for you on OS/2?
Please note that "multizilla.info-messages.middle-click-close" should be true before this works.

2) a (left) mouse click on the close button should close the BIM. Does that work for you?

3) is it possible that the BIM sheet (a special kind of chrome window) that you do't get to see, is hidden
behind any other windows?

4) pref "multizilla.managers.use-stacked-windows" is presumably set to false on OS/2 but what happens
when you set it to true and open the Permission Manager/Image Category/Settings window?

>I've perused the buglist for this, and can't seem to come up with 
(Continue reading)

Lewis G Rosenthal | 5 Jul 00:01 2005

Re: Security Precaution warning message,but nothing when clicked

On 07/04/2005 05:30 pm, bugs4hj <at> netscape.net thus wrote :
> Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal <at> 2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>
>   
>> Hi, all, and thanks HJ, for the main reason I stick with Moz and don't 
>> move to FF. :-)
>>     
>
> I'm sure that my father would love to hear this, but it will take another two months before he returns, so he
won't read this. However, thanks in name of him!
>
>   
You're very welcome, Michael!
>> Anyway, when browsing to a secure site which triggers the security 
>> precaution, I get the notice at the top of the browser window, telling 
>> me that MultiZilla was unable to locate the validation key. However, 
>> upon clicking the warning message, Mozilla changes z-order (Moz titlebar 
>> gets gray), but no option menu or dialog box surfaces. To get focus on 
>> Moz again, I must press <Esc> and then I close the warning with the 
>> close button, just to get it off the screen.
>>     
>
> I have a few question which I hope you will/can answer for me:
>
> 1) a middle mouse click on a Browser Info Message should remove/close the BIM. Does that work for you on
OS/2? Please note that "multizilla.info-messages.middle-click-close" should be true before this works.
>   
I'll test this right now... I did not have this in prefs. I've set it 
now, closed Moz, and re-opened. Yes, the middle button closed the 
window. (Interestingly enough, while this pref is present in prefs.js, 
(Continue reading)

bugs4hj | 5 Jul 00:49 2005
Picon

Re: Security Precaution warning message, but nothingwhen clicked

Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal <at> 2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a few question which I hope you will/can answer for me:

<snip/>

>Hmmm... A focus issue, eh? Let me see if I make the Moz window very 
>small... Okay, the window is invisible. It's not hidden behind anythign 
>else, but in my window list, it does show as "Title," nothing more. It 
>is definitely not just a Z-order problem, though, as the window is 
>completely invisible and not just hidden behind something (AFAICT).
>> 4) pref "multizilla.managers.use-stacked-windows" is presumably set to false on OS/2 
>Correct.
>> but what happens when you set it to true and open the Permission Manager/Image Category/Settings window?
>>
>>   
>Same condition I'm experiencing with the security warning (no window; 
>lose focus from originating window).

Just what I expected, so now I know where to look. Let me try to fix this bug for rev update 1.42 of our
expirimental nightly, but I might need your help with a test version.

P.s. we better disable the checkbox for that pref setting, on the pref panels, for OS/2 users.

Michael

__________________________________________________________________
Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

(Continue reading)

Lewis G Rosenthal | 5 Jul 01:08 2005

Re: Security Precaution warning message, but nothingwhen clicked

On 07/04/2005 06:49 pm, bugs4hj <at> netscape.net thus wrote :

<snip>
>>> but what happens when you set it to true and open the Permission Manager/Image Category/Settings window?
>>>
>>>   
>>>       
>> Same condition I'm experiencing with the security warning (no window; 
>> lose focus from originating window).
>>     
>
> Just what I expected, so now I know where to look. Let me try to fix this bug for rev update 1.42 of our
expirimental nightly, but I might need your help with a test version.
>
>   
Anything I can do, just let me know.
> P.s. we better disable the checkbox for that pref setting, on the pref panels, for OS/2 users.
>   
Good idea!

--

-- 
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
  New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth

(Continue reading)

bugs4hj | 7 Jul 05:34 2005
Picon

Some sad news

Dear MultiZilla users,

Let me first (re)introduce myself for people that still don't know me. 
My name is Jeff Blumenthal and I am a 40 year old happily married dad with 
two young kids. 

My relation with HJ is two fold. Well, there are a few more things we 
share, but that's on a need to know basis only. Anyway, I am one of his 
many colleagues, but I am also one of his closest friends. 

Note that I am using this medium for a rather unpleasant message, 
because we know how many of you visit this page, the newsgroup or mailing 
list on a daily basis. Also, I wouldn't have written anything here, if 
it wasn't absolutely necessary!

Now, the recent weeks have been a real thrill for HJ's son Michael Vincent. 
Most of us have learned to know Michael as being this ultra bright smart kid, and he just is. John (the other
gatekeeper) even contacted Michael by 
phone and said, I am going to visit this incredible smart kid. What about you?

Not only worked he on the MultiZilla project, for over two months already, 
but he also secretly helped Eric Young, the developer of 
<a href="http://www.passwordmaker.org" title="One Password to rule them all">Passwordmaker</a>.

Some even had serious doubts, at start, about his age but they also found out that Michael is in fact just as 13
years old boy. But what a great kid. 
Someone described him as being a 'wunderkind' (you know who you are) and the list goes on and on and on...

I for example (among others) have had nice e-mail conversations with Michael. Some of you are still
considered to be his coach, mentor and English teachers and I must, in name of the family, thank you, for
(Continue reading)

Lewis G Rosenthal | 7 Jul 15:27 2005

Re: Some sad news

This is sad news, indeed. Jeff, please advise if there is anything I can 
do - besides offer my hopes and prayers, and those of my family - to 
help Michael. Having two young children myself, I can only imagine what 
Michael's parents are going through now.

--

-- 
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
  New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth

Warpstock 2005 - Hershey, 
Pennsylvania, October 6-9, 2005            www.warpstock.org
------------------------------------------------------------

Gmane