rastislav piater | 1 Aug 17:12 2007

ping plugin show ms

Hello,

When I use ping plugin it show for example 234m in graph, but it is 0.234ms.
Maybe it could be that you get number in ms, but ping plugin work with
this number as a number in Seconds.

Is it bug ?

Thanks,
Rasto.

Florian Forster | 1 Aug 17:47 2007

Re: ping plugin show ms

Hi Rasto,

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 05:12:41PM +0200, rastislav piater wrote:
> When I use ping plugin it show for example 234m in graph, but it is
> 0.234ms.

are you serious? To get (reliable) mearuements in the micro-second range
you likely need a realtime operating system or at least an unusual high
`HZ' setting, if you're under Linux..

> Is it bug ?

I don't think so: On a typical shared operating system many factors
influence the measurement of latency. This includes other IO on the
system, the number of interrupts, scheduler details and so on. Measuring
latencies that are close to 1ms is not very accurate. If you go as low
as 230us, the values are more of a load indicator than a network
indicator..

Regards,
-octo
--

-- 
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training
GnuPG: 0x91523C3D
http://verplant.org/
Florian Forster | 3 Aug 11:07 2007

Version 4.0.6 available

Hi,

I've packed a new version which fixes the ignorelist functionality in
the sensors plugin (it didn't work as described in the manpage) and
allows the syslog plugin to log messages during startup. Last but not
least, Kjell's updated Fedora specfile is included.

Regards,
-octo
--

-- 
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training
GnuPG: 0x91523C3D
http://verplant.org/
Kjell Randa | 5 Aug 20:47 2007
Picon

Collectd rpm spec file for collectd 4.0.6 on Fedora 7

Hi,

Here is an updated version of the F7 rpm spec file.
It now handles updates as well (rpm -U).

When new versions of collectd are out please bump the version tag at the 
top of the spec file.
It will then build correct version of collectd.

Regards
Kjell Randa

Attachment (collectd.spec): text/x-rpm-spec, 11 KiB
Thomas Stegbauer | 5 Aug 15:07 2007

collectd running over ipsec vpn

hi florian,

i am running collectd on some debian etch machine's (and already on sarge before) it worked fine.
now i moved over several server to a new location and created an ipsec vpn over there.

i modified the clients and dns.
but the collectd graphs are pretty poor, with very big gaps between, as i would loose data.

in the daemon.log i get many collectd[2414]: Invalid message from ...

i teseted already moving data over with ftp, there i get the full speed and  now hint, there is a
dataloss.

any ideas?
thomas

--

-- 
# Thomas Stegbauer
# https://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x9A3F1866FC68E91D
# Key fingerprint = 5A2D FEDC 8A50 F1BB 25FB  967B 9A3F 1866 FC68 E91D

Attachment (smime.p7s): application/x-pkcs7-signature, 5203 bytes
Florian Forster | 5 Aug 23:36 2007

Re: collectd running over ipsec vpn

Hi Thomas,

I took the liberty to forward your mail to do mailinglist. Possibly
someone there has an idea ;)

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 03:07:51PM +0200, Thomas Stegbauer wrote:
> i am running collectd on some debian etch machine's (and already on
> sarge before) it worked fine.  now i moved over several server to a
> new location and created an ipsec vpn over there.

Do you use unicast over that line or multicast? What is the MTU of that
connection?

> i modified the clients and dns.

What do you mean by that?

> but the collectd graphs are pretty poor, with very big gaps between,
> as i would loose data.

That sounds as if it works occasionally.. Weird..

> in the daemon.log i get many collectd[2414]: Invalid message from ...

The corresponding code breaks the received messages into chunks at
spaces and complains if the number of fields is not 3. The corresponding
line is line 455 of src/network.c. I'm afraid your options are down to
inserting additional debugging messages (or using a debugger, whichever
you prefer) and using tcpdump or ethereal or something similar to have a
look at exaktly what's sent/received..
(Continue reading)

Florian Forster | 5 Aug 23:42 2007

Re: Collectd rpm spec file for collectd 4.0.6 on Fedora 7

Hi Kjell,

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 08:47:03PM +0200, Kjell Randa wrote:
> Here is an updated version of the F7 rpm spec file.

thank you, I've added it to the repository :)

> When new versions of collectd are out please bump the version tag at
> the top of the spec file.

Okay, I hope I remember to do that next time :) Is there a way to read
the current version from a file or call a script or something?

Regards,
-octo
--

-- 
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training
GnuPG: 0x91523C3D
http://verplant.org/
Sergiusz Pawlowicz | 6 Aug 00:04 2007

Re: collectd running over ipsec vpn

i am using vtun as vpn for many, many hosts (>60), and i've
noticed no problems at al.

please check if your tunnel is properly configured, i'm definitly
sure your problem is related to ipsec, not to collectd.

s.

ps. in next two weeks i will achive >100 hosts monitored :-)

Thomas Stegbauer | 6 Aug 01:38 2007

Re: collectd running over ipsec vpn

Florian Forster schrieb:
> Hi Thomas,
hi florian,
> 
> I took the liberty to forward your mail to do mailinglist. Possibly
> someone there has an idea ;)
ok, i answered already to that, i don't know it is allowed to nonmebers? (ok i read now to the end:)

> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 03:07:51PM +0200, Thomas Stegbauer wrote:
>> i am running collectd on some debian etch machine's (and already on
>> sarge before) it worked fine.  now i moved over several server to a
>> new location and created an ipsec vpn over there.
> 
> Do you use unicast over that line or multicast? What is the MTU of that
> connection?
unicast, in the client-config i have the server + ip of that.

>> i modified the clients and dns.
> 
> What do you mean by that?
modified the network-settings (one got upgraded from sarge to etch, a second one got reinstalled
from debian 4.0 i386 to debian 4.0 amd64

>> but the collectd graphs are pretty poor, with very big gaps between,
>> as i would loose data.
> 
> That sounds as if it works occasionally.. Weird..

i can ping and transfer data over the link.

(Continue reading)

Ulf Zimmermann | 6 Aug 20:28 2007

Segfaults with collectd 4.0.5 on RHEL 4 U5 x86_64

I had two systems where collected died this weekend. The only message so
far I could find is:

Aug  4 04:11:09 dbprd01 kernel: collectd[8452]: segfault at
0000000000000000 rip 0000002a993346d0 rsp 0000000042802300 error 4

Aug  4 09:14:43 dbprd03 kernel: collectd[8461]: segfault at
0000000000000000 rip 0000002a993326d0 rsp 0000000042802300 error 4

My version of collectd only has a limited number of plugins compiled and
in the rpm, which are cpu, csv (actually going to take that one out
too), df, disk, exec, interfaces, iptables, irq, load, logfile, memory,
network, perl, processes, rrdtool, swap, syslog and unixsock.

Unfortunately no core file.

Regards, Ulf.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ATC-Onlane Inc., T: 650-532-6382, F: 650-532-6441
4600 Bohannon Drive, Suite 100, Menlo Park, CA 94025
---------------------------------------------------------------------


Gmane