Gordon Ross | 1 Jun 17:38 2005
Picon

"LAN Driver Loopback Error Detected"

For various reasons, I've had to setup SCMD on a NW65 IP only box to service some IPX print queues. (I've got
SCMD /MA running on a NW5.1 box running IP/IPX)

Since loading SCMD, I'm getting "LAN Driver Loopback Error Detected" messages on the console of the NW6.5 box.

The knowledge base reveals nothing.. :-(

Suggestions ?

GTG

Gordon Ross,
Network Manager/Rheolwr Rhydwaith
Countryside Council for Wales/Cyngor Cefn Gwlad Cymru
Kevin Parris | 1 Jun 16:35 2005
Picon

Re: Override Container Level File System rights.

You are correct, what you have tried does not work, and is operating as
designed.  The NetWare rights model is additive, not subtractive.  As
each level of the tree is evaluated, whatever is explicitly granted at
one is added to those already found at higher levels.  There is no
"deny" setting in the Trustee matrix in this system, but other file
systems do have that.  There is only the absence of the "grant" property
in the mask, and this absence is *not* interpreted as deny or revoke.

If the user is a member of a group/container that has a rights
assignment, then the user enjoys those rights.  If you have a user who
should not enjoy the rights of a group or container, you must make the
user not a member.  You wrote in your original message "we can't stop
the container rights flowing down" and that is correct - on NetWare you
cannot do that.

You'll need to create a new unit of organization, and re-locate the
rights assignment.  In other words, create a new group, and give that
group the rights currently held by the container.  Make "those who need
access" members of the new group.  Remove the rights granted to the
container.  Or the inverse- create a new container, and move those who
do NOT need access there.

>>> G.Ross <at> ccw.gov.uk 5/27/2005 5:19 AM >>>
Hang on. By your implication, we should be able to do explicit trustee
assignments for the users to give them rights of nothing, but that does
NOT work.

GTG

>>> tim <at> nds8.co.uk 05/27/05 12:58 PM >>>
(Continue reading)

Tim Heywood | 1 Jun 18:46 2005
Picon

Re: "LAN Driver Loopback Error Detected"

What is the NIC?  Please don't tell me it's a Broadcom?  The IPX driver is a re-entrently loaded driver as
opposed to a second instance of the same board?  It would sound as if the NIC is seeing it's self as a separate
MAC number on the IPX, so do you have two NICs in the server?

I assume that this is the second test of the day?

Tim
-- 

Tim Heywood
NDS8
Novell Gold Solution Provider

Office: +44 (0) 845 226 0070
Mobile: +44 (0) 7974 134264

www.nds8.co.uk

Sent using GroupWise Sequoia

>>> On 01 June 2005 at 16:38:47, in message <s29de4c7.057 <at> HQ-CGS2>,
G.Ross <at> ccw.gov.uk wrote:
> For various reasons, I've had to setup SCMD on a NW65 IP only box to service 
> some IPX print queues. (I've got SCMD /MA running on a NW5.1 box running 
> IP/IPX)
> 
> Since loading SCMD, I'm getting "LAN Driver Loopback Error Detected" 
> messages on the console of the NW6.5 box.
> 
> The knowledge base reveals nothing.. :-(
(Continue reading)

Scott Etienne | 1 Jun 20:35 2005

IBM Touts Redhat


http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2005/0523linux1.html

I thought Novell SUSE was IBM's linux sweetheart?

Thank you.

Scott Etienne
Network Engineer
Enesco Group, Inc
setienne <at> enesco.com
630-875-5611
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Scott Etienne
TEL;WORK:5611
ORG:Enesco Group, Inc.;Information Services
EMAIL;WORK;PREF;NGW:Setienne <at> enesco.com
N:Etienne;Scott
TITLE:Network Engineer
TEL;PREF:630-875-5611
END:VCARD

_______________________________________________
Novell mailing list
(Continue reading)

Randy Grein | 1 Jun 20:57 2005
Picon
Picon

Re: IBM Touts Redhat

Yes, I saw that. I suspect IBM is using the sensible idea that all  
vendor lock-in is bad. Except their own, of course. (grin)
Randy Grein, Master CNE, CCNA

On Jun 1, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Scott Etienne wrote:

>
> http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2005/0523linux1.html
>
> I thought Novell SUSE was IBM's linux sweetheart?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Scott Etienne
> Network Engineer
> Enesco Group, Inc
> setienne <at> enesco.com
> 630-875-5611
>
> <Scott Etienne.vcf>
> _______________________________________________
> Novell mailing list
> Novell <at> netlab1.usu.edu
> http://netlab1.usu.edu/mailman/listinfo/novell
>
Dan Abernathy | 1 Jun 21:16 2005

OES products vs. NW65 SP3

 We're running NetWare 6.5 SP3 on all our servers. We're about to add Virtual Office to one of them, and the
NetWare 65 SP3 overlay cd gives you the choice between newer "OES" versions of iManager and Virtual Office
or older "NW65SP3" versions.

Has anyone tried running the OES versions? Any issues? I seem to remember there being some problem with the
newest iManager but I'm not sure where I saw it. I haven't heard one way or the other about Virtual Office 1.5
vs. 1.0.

Dan
Joe Doupnik | 1 Jun 22:45 2005

Re: OES products vs. NW65 SP3

> We're running NetWare 6.5 SP3 on all our servers. We're about to add Virtual Office to one of them, and the
NetWare 65 SP3 overlay cd gives you the choice between newer "OES" versions of iManager and Virtual Office
or older "NW65SP3" versions.
>
>Has anyone tried running the OES versions? Any issues? I seem to remember there being some problem with the
newest iManager but I'm not sure where I saw it. I haven't heard one way or the other about Virtual Office 1.5
vs. 1.0.
>
>Dan
---------
	Yes, a bit(!). They work fine for me and many other folks.
As always, an in-place upgrade is fraught with danger. Thus I would
suggest you remove the fancy apps now present and then install the
new versions as a unit (later turn off what you do not need).
	Joe D.
Jeff Groetsema | 1 Jun 21:47 2005

Re: IBM Touts Redhat

It appears to me that IBM is favoring RedHat for servers and SuSE for
desktops.

>>> randygrein <at> comcast.net 6/1/2005 11:57:14 AM >>>
Yes, I saw that. I suspect IBM is using the sensible idea that all  
vendor lock-in is bad. Except their own, of course. (grin)
Randy Grein, Master CNE, CCNA

On Jun 1, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Scott Etienne wrote:

>
> http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2005/0523linux1.html 
>
> I thought Novell SUSE was IBM's linux sweetheart?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Scott Etienne
> Network Engineer
> Enesco Group, Inc
> setienne <at> enesco.com 
> 630-875-5611
>
> <Scott Etienne.vcf>
> _______________________________________________
> Novell mailing list
> Novell <at> netlab1.usu.edu 
> http://netlab1.usu.edu/mailman/listinfo/novell 
>

(Continue reading)

Gordon Ross | 1 Jun 22:26 2005
Picon

Re: "LAN Driver Loopback Error Detected"

The NIC is a onboard an HP DL380G3 (Dunno what make it is..) Before I loaded SCMD there was no IPX on this box.

GTG

PS No it's not a second test... ;-)

>>> tim <at> nds8.co.uk 06/01/05 5:46 PM >>>
What is the NIC?  Please don't tell me it's a Broadcom?  The IPX driver is a re-entrently loaded driver as
opposed to a second instance of the same board?  It would sound as if the NIC is seeing it's self as a separate
MAC number on the IPX, so do you have two NICs in the server?

I assume that this is the second test of the day?
Gordon Ross | 1 Jun 22:31 2005
Picon

Re: IBM Touts Redhat

I suspect IBM is being like any sensible company: Learning from past mistakes and not getting tied to any one
vendor. ;-)

GTG

>>> Setienne <at> enesco.com 06/01/05 7:35 PM >>>

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2005/0523linux1.html

I thought Novell SUSE was IBM's linux sweetheart?

Thank you.

Scott Etienne
Network Engineer
Enesco Group, Inc
setienne <at> enesco.com
630-875-5611

Gmane