Hero_xbd!.RRR | 2 Apr 04:21 2007

Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

Hello, everybody,

I am a undergraduate and currently leading a project upgrading the
library of our department from card-category to an ILS using Koha-2.2.8
on Debian. All the installation seem successful. Koha is friendly enough
to install :)

Now I come to stage of modifying the MARC framework.

Our library is small (of about 12000 books).
I want to use the MARC format (opposed to Traditional Koha way, as
mentioned in the manual) to get more features and export book lists. At
the same time I don't want to mess up with all the fields in the default
framework (we are inputting records by hand, we want only keep 7-8
fields at the beginning). So I begin to add a new framework cloned from
'default' and delete the unwanted tags, and found it really
time-consuming. Is there a way to delete several tags at one attempt? Or
can I create an empty framework and add tags from scratch? Or can I
import a more simplified framework (like the ones in the demo site on
liblime.com)?

Another Question:

I would like to call for the students around me to join in the project.
There may be 100 people involved. I want to keep track of who inputed
how many records, and export a rank list for reports to the department
authority. What should I do to achieve this goal? And there will be a
great pain to add people one by one. Is there a good way to authorize,
e.g. using students' ID as both user/password and keep track?

(Continue reading)

Franklin Escano | 2 Apr 05:07 2007
Picon

Re: Koha Skins - HTML Templates

Hello Kyle,
I have just installed Koha in our library and I want
to            personalize the interface. I know just a
little HTML.

Frank
--- Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall@...> wrote:

> May I ask what you would like to do with the
> templates? Also, how well do
> you know HTML?
> 
> Kyle
> 
> On 3/22/07, Franklin Escano <fdescano@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Is there an easier way to edit the templates?
> > What tools would you recommend for such task?
> > Any input would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Frank
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
(Continue reading)

Franklin Escano | 2 Apr 05:36 2007
Picon

Re: Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

Hi Xu!
We're on the same boat. I am trying to tap the
students as encoders. Maybe we can use Excel to build
the data and then upload it to the MySQL database. I
think that  would simplify the encoding process.
Cheers!

Frank

--- "Hero_xbd!.RRR" <heroxbd@...> wrote:

> Hello, everybody,
> 
> I am a undergraduate and currently leading a project
> upgrading the
> library of our department from card-category to an
> ILS using Koha-2.2.8
> on Debian. All the installation seem successful.
> Koha is friendly enough
> to install :)
> 
> Now I come to stage of modifying the MARC framework.
> 
> Our library is small (of about 12000 books).
> I want to use the MARC format (opposed to
> Traditional Koha way, as
> mentioned in the manual) to get more features and
> export book lists. At
> the same time I don't want to mess up with all the
> fields in the default
(Continue reading)

Hero_xbd!.RRR | 2 Apr 09:23 2007

Re: Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

Thank you Frank. Yes that is a solution.

But using Excel have some drawbacks:

1. In the Koha Intranet I can only find importing MARC (no other 
format). That means we have to deal with MySQL directly. That will need 
everyone know SQL, or will get someone to accept all the Excel files 
from those who don't know SQL, then insert them into the database manually.

2. To use Excel we will be forced to keep track of the contributions by 
hand.

I think modifying MARC framework to meet our special need and let people 
use their own Browser to add bibliography through the web is a favorable 
way. What do you think?

Cheers!

Franklin Escano wrote:
> Hi Xu!
> We're on the same boat. I am trying to tap the
> students as encoders. Maybe we can use Excel to build
> the data and then upload it to the MySQL database. I
> think that  would simplify the encoding process.
> Cheers!
>
> Frank
>   
--

-- 
Xu Benda
(Continue reading)

Henri-Damien LAURENT | 2 Apr 10:21 2007

Re: Plz help me!!!!!!!1

Amit Gupta a écrit :
>
> Hi List,
>             I m using koha-2.2.5 i cannot find the inventory range the
> error msg is "Can't find inventory codes in that range. Please try
> again ". So plz help me.
>
>
> Thank's & Regard         
It is quite hard to help you without more information.
But I'll try.
a) inventory relies on itemcallnumbers. So you must have somewhere a
MARC subfield (in MARC-21, 852$c or 9??) linked to items.itemcallnumber
in your biblio framework.
If you donot have any, please consider adding a link in Koha2MARC link
page in system preference and use rebuildnonmarc script straight after
to rebuild information system.
b) maybe you donot input a good range in Inventory stocktaking page.
--

-- 
Henri-Damien LAURENT
Hero_xbd!.RRR | 2 Apr 10:20 2007

Re: Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

This problem is settled. We can just put the needed field into the 0-tab :)
So there is no need to delete. Actually it is a bad habit to delete, as 
mentioned in the Guide.

Thanks to Paul on irc.

Cheers!

Hero_xbd!.RRR wrote:
> Now I come to stage of modifying the MARC framework.
>
> Our library is small (of about 12000 books).
> I want to use the MARC format (opposed to Traditional Koha way, as
> mentioned in the manual) to get more features and export book lists. At
> the same time I don't want to mess up with all the fields in the default
> framework (we are inputting records by hand, we want only keep 7-8
> fields at the beginning). So I begin to add a new framework cloned from
> 'default' and delete the unwanted tags, and found it really
> time-consuming. Is there a way to delete several tags at one attempt? Or
> can I create an empty framework and add tags from scratch? Or can I
> import a more simplified framework (like the ones in the demo site on
> liblime.com)?

--

-- 
Xu Benda

Fundamental Science of Mathematics and Physics,
Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R.China, 100084

tel:86-10-51531861		
(Continue reading)

Hero_xbd!.RRR | 2 Apr 10:34 2007

Re: remove from the list

http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha,
and see the bottom of the page.

tesfagabriel kaleab wrote:
>
> please tell me how to remove my mail from the koha list
>
>
> peace*//*
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49938/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/>

--

-- 
Xu Benda

Fundamental Science of Mathematics and Physics,
Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R.China, 100084

tel:86-10-51531861		
http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn:8080/2005012177	
Venita Glasfurd | 2 Apr 12:02 2007
Picon

Fwd: Time zone and Koha

I have another question regarding timezones and Koha. Please help answer.
 
When issues and returns are done, is it done with the server time or db time?
 
Regards,
Venita.

 
On 3/31/07, MJ Ray <mjr-uWYXIsyQkeEe6eUIopPxIg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
"Venita Glasfurd" < venita.glasfurd-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have my server with Koha running in the US time zone, while my library
> operates in the Indian timezone. Is there some setting in koha through which
> I can configure which timezone to use?

I don't know how it works on Windows, but on Unix, it takes from
system settings via Perl.  You can get an explanation in the TIMEZONES
section of the Date::Time man page.  I think you may be able to view
that on windows by typing
perldoc Date::Time
at a Command Prompt.  You may be able to make a local timezone setting
for koha with a line saying
SetEnv TZ IST
in your Apache VirtualHost configuration.

Good luck!
--
MJ Ray - see/vidu http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
developer of koha, debian, gobo, gnustep, various mail and web s/w.
Workers co-op <at> Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/

_______________________________________________
Koha mailing list
Koha@...
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
Maria Doria | 2 Apr 12:41 2007
Picon

RE: Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

Hello Xu,

> Is there a way to delete several tags at one 
> attempt? Or can I create an empty framework and add tags from 
> scratch? Or can I import a more simplified framework (like 
> the ones in the demo site on liblime.com)?

We work directly in MySQL, to simplify (once we're not experts on the command line) we use an interface such
as Webmin that simplifies the work in visual tables. Here you can easily edit the frameworks you work with.

Best,
Maria

---------------------------------------------------
CITI / DEP - Divisão de Estudos e Projectos
INETI - Instituto Nacional de Engenharia, Tecnologia e Inovação
Estrada do Paço do Lumiar, 22 - 1649-038 Lisboa - Portugal
Tel.: + 351 217 127 030 (directo)
Fax: + 351 217 127 059
Endereço de correio electrónico: maria.doria@...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: koha-bounces@... 
> [mailto:koha-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Hero_xbd!.RRR
> Sent: segunda-feira, 2 de Abril de 2007 3:22
> To: koha@...
> Subject: [Koha] Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC 
> frameworks? (User from China)
> 
> Hello, everybody,
> 
> I am a undergraduate and currently leading a project 
> upgrading the library of our department from card-category to 
> an ILS using Koha-2.2.8 on Debian. All the installation seem 
> successful. Koha is friendly enough to install :)
> 
> Now I come to stage of modifying the MARC framework.
> 
> Our library is small (of about 12000 books).
> I want to use the MARC format (opposed to Traditional Koha 
> way, as mentioned in the manual) to get more features and 
> export book lists. At the same time I don't want to mess up 
> with all the fields in the default framework (we are 
> inputting records by hand, we want only keep 7-8 fields at 
> the beginning). So I begin to add a new framework cloned from 
> 'default' and delete the unwanted tags, and found it really 
> time-consuming. Is there a way to delete several tags at one 
> attempt? Or can I create an empty framework and add tags from 
> scratch? Or can I import a more simplified framework (like 
> the ones in the demo site on liblime.com)?
> 
> 
> Another Question:
> 
> I would like to call for the students around me to join in 
> the project.
> There may be 100 people involved. I want to keep track of who 
> inputed how many records, and export a rank list for reports 
> to the department authority. What should I do to achieve this 
> goal? And there will be a great pain to add people one by 
> one. Is there a good way to authorize, e.g. using students' 
> ID as both user/password and keep track?
> 
> Thanks in advance!
> 
> Cheers.
> 
> --
> Xu Benda
> 
> Fundamental Science of Mathematics and Physics, Tsinghua 
> University, Beijing, P.R.China, 100084
> 
> tel:86-10-51531861		
> http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn:8080/2005012177	
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Koha mailing list
> Koha@...
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/mailman/listinfo/koha
> 
> 
> Esta mensagem foi verificada por uma Webshield Appliance da McAfee.
> INETI - DSIC
> 
Hero_xbd!.RRR | 3 Apr 02:20 2007

Re: Is there an efficient way to manage the MARC frameworks? (User from China)

Maybe I need to restate the question clearly.

We have about 100 catalogers, have can I get the information on who has 
added how many books? Further, how can I keep track and set up a 
"contribution rank list"?

Hero_xbd!.RRR wrote:
> Another Question:
>
> I would like to call for the students around me to join in the project.
> There may be 100 people involved. I want to keep track of who inputed
> how many records, and export a rank list for reports to the department
> authority. What should I do to achieve this goal? And there will be a
> great pain to add people one by one. Is there a good way to authorize,
> e.g. using students' ID as both user/password and keep track?
>
> Cheers.
>

--

-- 
Xu Benda

Fundamental Science of Mathematics and Physics,
Tsinghua University, Beijing, P.R.China, 100084

tel:86-10-51531861		
http://learn.tsinghua.edu.cn:8080/2005012177	

Gmane