Notes on a RH7 install
I'm testing a Koha install on a fresh 'workstation' installation of RedHat
7, including Perl 5.6.0. I think I'm a fairly naive user, although I have
a little bit of experience with Perl (enough for quick-and-dirty scripts,
and enough to load CPAN modules). Here's what I'm finding so far:
1. INSTALL should say whether or not mod_perl is needed. I'm guessing 'no'
because INSTALL says "It was built to work with Apache, but there is no
reason it shouldnt work with any other webserver". (Has anyone tried
running it on Win32? Perl, Apache, and MySQL are all available on Win32...)
2. Under INSTALL quick installation instructions item 4, "Edit
C4/Database.pm" should read "Edit scripts/C4/Database.pm". Similarly, all
references to files within INSTALL should be relative to the directory in
which INSTALL resides.
2a. If at all possible, variables like this which need to be set by the
installer should either be in a central koha.conf file or defined near the
top of the file containing them. The installer should ideally not have to
slog through Database.pm to find C4Connect.
3. The parts of scripts/C4/Database.pm needing to be modified by the
installer should be commented more clearly -- by which I mean: easy to spot
visually and also explicit in saying exactly which lines need to be modified.
4. In INSTALL, "Next copy the C4 directory (in scripts/) to somewhere in ur
perl path" confuses me. I know how to find out the value of $PATH in a
shell, but I don't know what my perl path is. (In fact, I'm stuck
here. Help, please.)
5. In INSTALL, in the list of other required software: "AuthenDBI (if you