Jelle de Jong | 10 Nov 11:27 2009
Picon

Re: roadmap for new calendarserver release

Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> 
> Would somebody be willing to make official release tar-ball for the 
> latest reasonable stable svn version of the calendarserver.
> 
> I can't find any new releases on the calendarserver website, and it has 
> indeed been more then a year since distributions could updated there 
> version of calendarserver.
> 
> I would love to stay using calendarserver, and regular releases are 
> required for this, so the the packaging maintainers can provide the end 
> users with the latest versions.

Somebody willing to follow this up and want to try making a new release?

Best regards,

Jelle
Pim Zandbergen | 10 Nov 12:19 2009
Picon

Re: Darwin CardDAV Server

Any news on Darwin CardDAV Server ?

The PDF document I referred to still contains:

> Getting the Source Code
> The Darwin CardDAV server is available from Mac OS Forge at:
> http://www.macosforge.org/

But, two months later, still no CardDAV Server there.

Pim

On 1-9-2009 6:28, Pim Zandbergen wrote:
> Good news, it looks like the Apple Address Book Server in Snow Leopard 
> Server
> will be open sourced as "Darwin CardDAV Server".
>
> See the bottom  of 
> http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/AddressBkServer_v10.6.pdf
Scott Haneda | 16 Nov 10:03 2009

General Calendar Server

I have been looking at this project on and off for far too long, it is  
time for me to figure it out.

I tried playing the dance with gmail and sync, but I would like a more  
complete and full solution.  Pretty much what comes in OS X Server, so  
I can share and collaborate calendars.

Is this the same calendar server that is in Snow Leopard Server now?

I have personally never been able to get it to work, it does build and  
install, but I was never able to connect to anything other than the  
web admin pages.

I can and will post details on that, but first wanted to be sure I was  
even on the correct path.  I still have an option of buying a new Mac  
Mini Server since they are pretty much throwing in the OS, which would  
give me my calendaring solutions I need as well as a bit more.

Thank you.
--

-- 
Scott * If you contact me off list replace talklists <at>  with scott <at>  *
Pim Zandbergen | 16 Nov 16:17 2009
Picon

off topic: Zideone status

ZideOne made a very nice CalDAV plugin for Outlook on Windows that works just fine
with Calendar Server.

But recently, the project seems to have frozen.

See:

http://www.zideone.com/
http://twitter.com/zideone

Their mailinglist does not seem to propagate anymore too,
so this is why I'm asking here.


Does anyone know what is happening? It would be a pity if this work gets lost.

Pim


_______________________________________________
calendarserver-users mailing list
calendarserver-users@...
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
Dirk | 19 Nov 12:41 2009

Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?

Hello!

I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin Calendar  
Server for a small company.

We'd need a setup like this:

4 user accounts:

1 boss
1 secretary
2 employees

Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons have  
read/write access.
The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.

Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as the  
iPhone client.

My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with accounts.xml):

How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?

Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to accomplish  
this?

Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a new  
delegate in iCal?

Why is accounts.xml as it is? I'd expect a calendar server to have  
calendars as first class objects. Instead, there are users which seem  
to have one (one one?) implicit calendar.

Thanks,
    Dirk
_______________________________________________
calendarserver-users mailing list
calendarserver-users <at> lists.macosforge.org
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
Guy | 19 Nov 12:57 2009
Picon

Re: Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?


On 19 Nov 2009, at 11:41, Dirk wrote:

> Hello!
> 
> I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin Calendar Server for a small company.
> 
> We'd need a setup like this:
> 
> 4 user accounts:
> 
> 1 boss
> 1 secretary
> 2 employees
> 
> Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
> 1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons have read/write access.
> The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.
> 
> Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as the iPhone client.
> 
> My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with accounts.xml):
> 
> How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?
> 

yup very simple... the company wide calendar you have a few choices on how to set it up.

1. just create a user account and delegate it out.
2. create it as a resource and delegate it out.

You can either setup the delegation inside the accounts.xml file or using ical.  I have to say ical 10.6 (snow
leopard) works much better at handling delegates etc.

On the iphone you'll have to create multiple accounts (using same credentials), one for each delegate you
want to see, you then change the URL to point to the delegate.

> Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to accomplish this?
> 

nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.

> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a new delegate in iCal?
> 

nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read on start up, so any changes you make to it will
require a restart to update :(

--Guy

> Why is accounts.xml as it is? I'd expect a calendar server to have calendars as first class objects.
Instead, there are users which seem to have one (one one?) implicit calendar.
> 
> Thanks,
>   Dirk
> _______________________________________________
> calendarserver-users mailing list
> calendarserver-users@...
> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
Guy | 19 Nov 13:35 2009
Picon

Re: Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?


On 19 Nov 2009, at 12:31, Dirk Theisen wrote:

> Hi, Guy!
> 
>> nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.
>> 
>>> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a
>>> new delegate in iCal?
>>> 
>> 
>> nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read on
>> start up, so any changes you make to it will require a restart to
>> update :(
> 
> This sounds like a show-stopper for a real-world deployment.
> 

All it really means is that adding/removing users requires a restart.

> Does it mean, you can add delegates (proxies) in iCal and every time you restart the server, those changes
are gone?
> 

nope they are maintained elsewhere (in the users own calendar data objects) and are persistent across
restarts etc.

> Greetings,
>   Dirk
Conrad Wasmer | 19 Nov 13:56 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?

Guy-

I had tried this a while ago, but failed and gave up. But it's been  
nagging me ever since.  HOW do you delegate out the company-wide  
calendar?

Thanks

Conrad

On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:57 AM, Guy wrote:

>
> On 19 Nov 2009, at 11:41, Dirk wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin Calendar  
>> Server for a small company.
>>
>> We'd need a setup like this:
>>
>> 4 user accounts:
>>
>> 1 boss
>> 1 secretary
>> 2 employees
>>
>> Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
>> 1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons  
>> have read/write access.
>> The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.
>>
>> Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as the  
>> iPhone client.
>>
>> My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with  
>> accounts.xml):
>>
>> How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?
>>
>
> yup very simple... the company wide calendar you have a few choices  
> on how to set it up.
>
> 1. just create a user account and delegate it out.
> 2. create it as a resource and delegate it out.
>
> You can either setup the delegation inside the accounts.xml file or  
> using ical.  I have to say ical 10.6 (snow leopard) works much  
> better at handling delegates etc.
>
> On the iphone you'll have to create multiple accounts (using same  
> credentials), one for each delegate you want to see, you then change  
> the URL to point to the delegate.
>
>> Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to  
>> accomplish this?
>>
>
> nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.
>
>> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a  
>> new delegate in iCal?
>>
>
> nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read on  
> start up, so any changes you make to it will require a restart to  
> update :(
>
>
> --Guy
>
>> Why is accounts.xml as it is? I'd expect a calendar server to have  
>> calendars as first class objects. Instead, there are users which  
>> seem to have one (one one?) implicit calendar.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  Dirk
>> _______________________________________________
>> calendarserver-users mailing list
>> calendarserver-users@...
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
>
> _______________________________________________
> calendarserver-users mailing list
> calendarserver-users@...
> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users

--
Conrad Wasmer
612-598-0301
Guy | 19 Nov 14:22 2009
Picon

Re: Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?

well the way I do it (For my family calendar)... is this...

1. create a user to hold the calendar and don't share the passwd..

  <user>
    <uid>shared-calendar-user</uid>
    <guid>98714-12349817234-12341234-12341234</guid>
    <password>secured</password>
    <name>Family Calendars</name>
    <first-name>Family</first-name>
    <last-name></last-name>
    <cuaddr>mailto:family@...</cuaddr>
    <proxies>
	   <member type="groups">alluser</member>
	</proxies>
  </user>

2. create the group "alluser"

  <group>
    <uid> alluser </uid>
    <guid>38475234-23452345-23452345-13554</guid>
    <password>doesn't matter</password>
    <name>All people</name>
    <members>
      <member type="users">user1</member>
      <member type="users">user2</member>
    </members>
  </group>
  <group>

Job done..

--Guy

On 19 Nov 2009, at 12:56, Conrad Wasmer wrote:

> Guy-
> 
> I had tried this a while ago, but failed and gave up. But it's been nagging me ever since.  HOW do you delegate
out the company-wide calendar?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Conrad
> 
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:57 AM, Guy wrote:
> 
>> 
>> On 19 Nov 2009, at 11:41, Dirk wrote:
>> 
>>> Hello!
>>> 
>>> I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin Calendar Server for a small company.
>>> 
>>> We'd need a setup like this:
>>> 
>>> 4 user accounts:
>>> 
>>> 1 boss
>>> 1 secretary
>>> 2 employees
>>> 
>>> Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
>>> 1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons have read/write access.
>>> The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.
>>> 
>>> Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as the iPhone client.
>>> 
>>> My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with accounts.xml):
>>> 
>>> How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?
>>> 
>> 
>> yup very simple... the company wide calendar you have a few choices on how to set it up.
>> 
>> 1. just create a user account and delegate it out.
>> 2. create it as a resource and delegate it out.
>> 
>> You can either setup the delegation inside the accounts.xml file or using ical.  I have to say ical 10.6
(snow leopard) works much better at handling delegates etc.
>> 
>> On the iphone you'll have to create multiple accounts (using same credentials), one for each delegate
you want to see, you then change the URL to point to the delegate.
>> 
>>> Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to accomplish this?
>>> 
>> 
>> nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.
>> 
>>> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a new delegate in iCal?
>>> 
>> 
>> nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read on start up, so any changes you make to it
will require a restart to update :(
>> 
>> 
>> --Guy
>> 
>>> Why is accounts.xml as it is? I'd expect a calendar server to have calendars as first class objects.
Instead, there are users which seem to have one (one one?) implicit calendar.
>>> 
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dirk
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> calendarserver-users mailing list
>>> calendarserver-users@...
>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> calendarserver-users mailing list
>> calendarserver-users@...
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
> 
> 
> --
> Conrad Wasmer
> 612-598-0301
> 
Conrad Wasmer | 20 Nov 15:01 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Available Features using XMLDirectoryService?

Thanks, Guy!

I thought the guid was supposed to be the same as the uid? I may have  
been misinformed.  How did you get the guid's - did you just make them  
up?

- conrad

On Nov 19, 2009, at 7:22 AM, Guy wrote:

> well the way I do it (For my family calendar)... is this...
>
> 1. create a user to hold the calendar and don't share the passwd..
>
>  <user>
>    <uid>shared-calendar-user</uid>
>    <guid>98714-12349817234-12341234-12341234</guid>
>    <password>secured</password>
>    <name>Family Calendars</name>
>    <first-name>Family</first-name>
>    <last-name></last-name>
>    <cuaddr>mailto:family@...</cuaddr>
>    <proxies>
> 	   <member type="groups">alluser</member>
> 	</proxies>
>  </user>
>
>
> 2. create the group "alluser"
>
>  <group>
>    <uid> alluser </uid>
>    <guid>38475234-23452345-23452345-13554</guid>
>    <password>doesn't matter</password>
>    <name>All people</name>
>    <members>
>      <member type="users">user1</member>
>      <member type="users">user2</member>
>    </members>
>  </group>
>  <group>
>
>
> Job done..
>
> --Guy
>
> On 19 Nov 2009, at 12:56, Conrad Wasmer wrote:
>
>> Guy-
>>
>> I had tried this a while ago, but failed and gave up. But it's been  
>> nagging me ever since.  HOW do you delegate out the company-wide  
>> calendar?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Conrad
>>
>> On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:57 AM, Guy wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On 19 Nov 2009, at 11:41, Dirk wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello!
>>>>
>>>> I am new to this list and interested in running the Darwin  
>>>> Calendar Server for a small company.
>>>>
>>>> We'd need a setup like this:
>>>>
>>>> 4 user accounts:
>>>>
>>>> 1 boss
>>>> 1 secretary
>>>> 2 employees
>>>>
>>>> Have 1 personal calendar for each of the 4 users.
>>>> 1 company wide shared group calendar where all of the 4 persons  
>>>> have read/write access.
>>>> The secretary has read/write access to boss’ personal calendar.
>>>>
>>>> Calendar Clients are Apple iCal from 10.5. and 10.6 as well as  
>>>> the iPhone client.
>>>>
>>>> My questions are (after installing DCS and playing with  
>>>> accounts.xml):
>>>>
>>>> How do I configure above scenario? Is it possible at all?
>>>>
>>>
>>> yup very simple... the company wide calendar you have a few  
>>> choices on how to set it up.
>>>
>>> 1. just create a user account and delegate it out.
>>> 2. create it as a resource and delegate it out.
>>>
>>> You can either setup the delegation inside the accounts.xml file  
>>> or using ical.  I have to say ical 10.6 (snow leopard) works much  
>>> better at handling delegates etc.
>>>
>>> On the iphone you'll have to create multiple accounts (using same  
>>> credentials), one for each delegate you want to see, you then  
>>> change the URL to point to the delegate.
>>>
>>>> Do I need a specific release (build) version of the DCS to  
>>>> accomplish this?
>>>>
>>>
>>> nope I think any current (ish) release will work fine.
>>>
>>>> Is the accounts.xml rewritten by the server when a user assigns a  
>>>> new delegate in iCal?
>>>>
>>>
>>> nope never written to again. Only read, and seems to only be read  
>>> on start up, so any changes you make to it will require a restart  
>>> to update :(
>>>
>>>
>>> --Guy
>>>
>>>> Why is accounts.xml as it is? I'd expect a calendar server to  
>>>> have calendars as first class objects. Instead, there are users  
>>>> which seem to have one (one one?) implicit calendar.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Dirk
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> calendarserver-users mailing list
>>>> calendarserver-users@...
>>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver-users
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> calendarserver-users mailing list
>>> calendarserver-users@...
>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/calendarserver- 
>>> users
>>
>>
>> --
>> Conrad Wasmer
>> 612-598-0301
>>
>

--
Conrad Wasmer
612-598-0301

Gmane