Anselm Lingnau | 15 Aug 09:34 2011
Picon

Re: LPIC-3 version

Florian Pougheon wrote:

> I don't find the response to the
> wiki : which is the LDAP version concerned by this exam ? The LDAP
> config file is still existing or config stored in the LDAP tree (as in
> the last version) ?

The current version of OpenLDAP supports both the file-based and the 
directory-based configuration, although the latter has recently become the 
default in most distributions.

I don't speak for LPI, but considering that the LPI-301 exam has been around 
for a while (it will be coming up for review RSN) and that the directory-based 
configuration method is still fairly new, it seems a reasonable assumption 
that putting an emphasis on the file-based method would make sense when 
studying for the exam. Having said that, it would still be no mistake to 
familiarise oneself with the directory-based method as well, not just on the 
off-chance that there may be questions on the exam but also, from a practical 
POV, because it is the way of the future. After all, we study this stuff 
because we want to be able to use it in real life, not because we want to pass 
an exam, right?

Anselm
--

-- 
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.lingnau <at> linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de
Linup Front GmbH, Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt, Germany
Sitz: Weiterstadt (AG Darmstadt, HRB7705), Geschäftsführer: Oliver Michel
_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
(Continue reading)

Florian Pougheon | 15 Aug 10:39 2011
Picon

Re: LPIC-3 version

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:34:27 +0200, Anselm Lingnau wrote:

Florian Pougheon wrote:
I don't find the response to the wiki : which is the LDAP version concerned by this exam ? The LDAP config file is still existing or config stored in the LDAP tree (as in the last version) ?
The current version of OpenLDAP supports both the file-based and the directory-based configuration, although the latter has recently become the default in most distributions. I don't speak for LPI, but considering that the LPI-301 exam has been around for a while (it will be coming up for review RSN) and that the directory-based configuration method is still fairly new, it seems a reasonable assumption that putting an emphasis on the file-based method would make sense when studying for the exam. Having said that, it would still be no mistake to familiarise oneself with the directory-based method as well, not just on the off-chance that there may be questions on the exam but also, from a practical POV, because it is the way of the future. After all, we study this stuff because we want to be able to use it in real life, not because we want to pass an exam, right? Anselm

Hi Anselm,

thanks for your response.

I'll work on the twice configuration method and focus on file-based config for my exam review.

--

Cordialement / Best Regards,

Florian Pougheon
Output Management Specialist - Certified Advanced Linux Professional
Phone: 33-6-43-78-30-63

E-mail:
Address: 8 Place Vincent Van Gogh, 63400 Chamalières, France
_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
Scott Lamberton | 18 Aug 20:46 2011

Community Corner: "Not-So-Angry Birds Need to Flock Together"

In this new "blog" for LPI's "Community Corner", Jon "maddog" Hall 
shares some insights from Julien Fourgeaud,of "Angry Birds" on managing 
a FOSS business.

See: http://blog.lpi.org/

Stories, videos and comments are welcome at LPI's community blog or feel 
free to contact us with your ideas at communitycorner@...

--

-- 
Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
http://www.lpi.org
slamberton@...
+1-905-269-0862
Scott Lamberton | 25 Aug 18:42 2011

[LPI-News] LPI Hosts Exam Labs at Ohio LinuxFest 2011

LPI Hosts Exam Labs at Ohio LinuxFest 2011

(Sacramento, CA, USA: August 25, 2011) - The Linux Professional
Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification organization
(http://www.lpi.org), will offer all LPIC exams at the Ohio LinuxFest
2011 (Columbus, Ohio: http://www.ohiolinux.org/) on Sunday, September
11, 2011. This is the sixth year that LPI has been certification sponsor
for Ohio LinuxFest.

LPI is offering the exams at a discounted rate of $99 per exam--except
for LPI-301 which will be $219. Details about the different exams are
available on the LPI certification web page (http://www.lpi.org/lpic).
Exams will be offered at 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM at the Hyatt Hotel
(Columbus, Ohio).  To ensure exam availability please register in
advance at events@... and indicate preferred exam and time slot.

To participate in the exam labs you must obtain an LPI ID at LPI's
registration area: http://www.lpi.org/register

On the day of the exam, candidates may make payment for their exams by
cheque 15 minutes prior to the exam lab. Otherwise payment can be made
in advance via Paypal.  Each exam takes approximately 90 minutes to
complete.  Candidates should bring their LPI ID and a government issued
photo identification to the exam lab.

In addition, as part of their OLF Institute, the Ohio LinuxFest is proud
to again offer the popular LPIC cram session by D.L. Corbet &
Associates.  The LPIC cram session assists candidates in preparing for
the LPIC 101 and 102 exams and is available on Friday, September 9,
2011.  Registration for the OLF Institute is available with the OLF
"Professional Package," which costs $350. This includes the day of
classes on Friday, September 9, 2011, admission to the Ohio LinuxFest
main conference on Saturday, September 10, lunch on both days, and an
official conference t-shirt. The "Professional Package" does not include
exam fees.

Other OLF institute courses include "FreeBSD for Linux System
Administrators", "VIM: From Essentials to Mastery", Linux Basics and
half day sessions on Apache, databases, Python and other subjects.  For
additional information on the OLF institute course offerings see:
http://www.ohiolinux.org/olfi

Immediately following the LPIC exam cram session, G.Matthew Rice,
Director of Product Development for LPI will host an item writing
workshop for all interested Linux users.  The item writing workshop will
review questions for LPIC exams that have been submitted by volunteers
to LPI.  The workshop will focus on what questions are appropriate for
Linux certification exams and how others might be improved for use in 
exams.  LPI regularly employs such item writing workshops to obtain 
insight from Linux professionals on the development of LPI's 
certification program.  If you are interested in participating and would 
like additional information on this workshop please send LPI an email at 
events@...

Jon 'maddog' Hall will be the keynote at Ohio LinuxFest 2011.  If you
are an existing LPIC holder please feel free to share with "maddog"
stories on how Linux certification has assisted your career as he is
always looking for material for his LPI blog: "Community Corner"
(http://www.lpi.org/communitycorner).

The Linux Professional Institute is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government
entities and the educational community. LPI's certification program is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents and is
distributed worldwide in multiple languages at more than 7,000 testing
locations. Since 1999, LPI has delivered over 290,000 exams and 95,000
LPIC certifications around the world.

# # #

About the Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute provides a global framework, industry
leadership and other services to enhance, develop and further lifelong
professional careers in Linux and Open Source technologies. Established
as an international non-profit organization in September 1999 by the
Linux community, the Linux Professional Institute continues to
demonstrate recognized global leadership, direction and skill standards
for those who pursue a career in Linux and Open Source technology. LPI
advances the Linux and Open Source movement through strategic partners,
sponsorships, innovative programs and community development activities.
LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal,
Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors, HP
and IDG.

Media Contact:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
http://www.lpi.org
slamberton@...
+1-905-269-0862

_______________________________________________
Linux Professional Institute
media mailing list
Contact: Scott Lamberton, Director of Communications
Email: slamberton@...
Telephone: +1-905-269-0862

To Subscribe or unsubscribe do so directly at: http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/media
Eric Deschamps | 27 Aug 22:09 2011
Picon

LPI exams and accessibility

Hello there,

I have a question from a blind person that would like to pass LPIC-1:
are the exams accessible in any way?

Vue and Prometric's website look to be accessible, but i couldn't find
anything about the exams.

Regards,

Eric
G. Matthew Rice | 27 Aug 22:35 2011

Re: LPI exams and accessibility

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Eric Deschamps <erdesc@...> wrote:
> I have a question from a blind person that would like to pass LPIC-1:
> are the exams accessible in any way?
>
> Vue and Prometric's website look to be accessible, but i couldn't find
> anything about the exams.

I know that special arrangements have been made in the past.  Contact
info@... to make a formal request, though.

HTH,
--matt
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
> _______________________________________________
> lpi-discuss mailing list
> lpi-discuss@...
> http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
>

--

-- 
G. Matthew Rice <mrice@...>                         gpg id: EF9AAD20
Eric Deschamps | 27 Aug 23:09 2011
Picon

Re: LPI exams and accessibility

Le 27/08/2011 22:35, G. Matthew Rice a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Eric Deschamps <erdesc@...> wrote:
>> I have a question from a blind person that would like to pass LPIC-1:
>> are the exams accessible in any way?
>>
>> Vue and Prometric's website look to be accessible, but i couldn't find
>> anything about the exams.
> 
> I know that special arrangements have been made in the past.  Contact
> info@... to make a formal request, though.
> 
> HTH,
> --matt
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Eric

Tanks Matthew !

Eric

Gmane