Andy Goldschmidt | 9 Sep 09:47 2009
Picon

201.2 Compiling a kernel - mkinitrd and mkinitramfs

Hi

What is the difference between mkinitrd and mkinitramfs ?

>From what I have read,  mkinitramfs seems to be the newer better one... but I can't find out why its better...

Can anyone provide more info on both please...

Regards
Andy

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
zhou haibo | 9 Sep 10:01 2009
Picon

Re: 201.2 Compiling a kernel - mkinitrd and mkinitramfs

There are three phases during the kernel boot process, the second phase use initrd/initramfs as temporally root file system, traditionally the initrd used, initrd is a ram disk(usually it is a ext2 file system ), and initramfs is new second boot phase, it is a ramfs. Please check Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt for detail.


sinozhou  

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Andy Goldschmidt <andy.goldschmidt-Cl0S6xs2dES9FHfhHBbuYA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Hi

What is the difference between mkinitrd and mkinitramfs ?

>From what I have read,  mkinitramfs seems to be the newer better one... but I can't find out why its better...

Can anyone provide more info on both please...

Regards
Andy

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss-WHMkLBA7RDE@public.gmane.org
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss

_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
Alan McKinnon | 9 Sep 10:03 2009
Picon

Re: 201.2 Compiling a kernel - mkinitrd and mkinitramfs

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 09:47:59 Andy Goldschmidt wrote:
> Hi
> 
> What is the difference between mkinitrd and mkinitramfs ?
> 
> >From what I have read,  mkinitramfs seems to be the newer better one...
> 
> but I can't find out why its better...

initrd is the old method
initramfs is the new (current) method

It's not a question of which is better, it's a question of which is supported 
in recent kernels (recent being measured in terms of several years by now)

--

-- 
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Rodolfo Martínez | 9 Sep 17:11 2009
Picon

Re: 201.2 Compiling a kernel - mkinitrd and mkinitramfs

Yes, ramdisk is the old method and ramfs is the new method
(Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt has a very good
explanation about "ram" disk/fs -- thanks Zhou), but I would say there
is no difference between mkinitrd and mkinitramfs.

mkinitrd (Red Hat-based) and mkinitramfs (Debian-based) will create
the initrd for the boot process, and they will use the "old" or "new"
method depending on the version.

Just be aware that mkinitrd from Red Hat and mkinitrd from Debian are
not the same! Here some links:

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-initrd.html
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian...initramfs.html
http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions

Conclusion, use mkinitrd on Red Hat and mkinitramfs on Debian.

Ragards
Rodolfo Martínez

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 September 2009 09:47:59 Andy Goldschmidt wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> What is the difference between mkinitrd and mkinitramfs ?
>>
>> >From what I have read,  mkinitramfs seems to be the newer better one...
>>
>> but I can't find out why its better...
>
> initrd is the old method
> initramfs is the new (current) method
>
> It's not a question of which is better, it's a question of which is supported
> in recent kernels (recent being measured in terms of several years by now)
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> _______________________________________________
> lpi-discuss mailing list
> lpi-discuss <at> lpi.org
> http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
>
_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss <at> lpi.org
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
Danny Spell | 9 Sep 16:06 2009
Picon

Boot Process

Where would I find some good documentation that would take me through the Linux bootup process?

 

What I’m looking for is the standard way a server does a coldstart bootup. I realize that this may vary to some degree with the different distributions, so if there are differences, it would be nice if the documentation explained what they are. Regardless, if I had the process for just one distribution, that would be great.

 

I’m an old timer, you see. Back in 1986, I got my start in IT with PRIMOS and I was taught how the system worked from coldstart. It was a great experience to learn about how the OS worked with the hardware to become a functioning system.

 

If there isn’t a resource, then this would be a great blogging opportunity for someone out there, don’t you think?

 

 

Thanks,

Danny

_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
Guus Snijders | 10 Sep 12:05 2009
Picon

Re: Boot Process

2009/9/9 Danny Spell <ddspell@...>:
> Where would I find some good documentation that would take me
> through the Linux bootup process?

Well, there are actually a number of resources on this, for example:

wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_startup_process
RedHat specific:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/ch-boot-init-shutdown.html
TLDP (might be dated):
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html

On the other hand, it's always nice to have a good and up-to-date
piece of documentation on this, especially if it can cover multiple
distributions (SYSV vs BSD init, etc).

mvg,
      Guus
David Voge | 10 Sep 12:52 2009
Picon

Re: Boot Process

Am Mittwoch 09 September 2009 16:06:41 schrieb Danny Spell:
> Where would I find some good documentation that would take me through the
> Linux bootup process?

You can read boot manpage. 
$> man boot

> 
> 
> 
> What I'm looking for is the standard way a server does a coldstart bootup.
>  I realize that this may vary to some degree with the different
>  distributions, so if there are differences, it would be nice if the
>  documentation explained what they are. Regardless, if I had the process
>  for just one distribution, that would be great.
> 
> 
> 
> I'm an old timer, you see. Back in 1986, I got my start in IT with PRIMOS
> and I was taught how the system worked from coldstart. It was a great
> experience to learn about how the OS worked with the hardware to become a
> functioning system.
> 
> 
> 
> If there isn't a resource, then this would be a great blogging opportunity
> for someone out there, don't you think?
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Danny
> 

_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
Guus Snijders | 10 Sep 20:33 2009
Picon

Re: Boot Process

2009/9/10 David Voge <mail@...>:
> Am Mittwoch 09 September 2009 16:06:41 schrieb Danny Spell:
>> Where would I find some good documentation that would take me through the
>> Linux bootup process?
>
> You can read boot manpage.
> $> man boot

Nice one, didn't know that existed.

mvg,
     Guus
David Voge | 11 Sep 15:29 2009
Picon

Re: Boot Process

Am Donnerstag 10 September 2009 20:33:23 schrieb Guus Snijders:
> 2009/9/10 David Voge <mail@...>:
> > Am Mittwoch 09 September 2009 16:06:41 schrieb Danny Spell:
> >> Where would I find some good documentation that would take me through
> >> the Linux bootup process?
> >
> > You can read boot manpage.
> > $> man boot
> 
> Nice one, didn't know that existed.
> 
> 
> mvg,
>      Guus
> 

You can search for something if you use
$> apropos boot

greeting 
David

> _______________________________________________
> lpi-discuss mailing list
> lpi-discuss@...
> http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss
> 

_______________________________________________
lpi-discuss mailing list
lpi-discuss@...
http://list.lpi.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lpi-discuss

Re: Boot Process

this got me thinking.  In general, who out there uses "info"?
ted

David Voge wrote:
>>> $> man boot
>> Nice one, didn't know that existed.
>>
>>
>> mvg,
>>      Guus
>>

--

-- 
ted jordan, principal                ted@...
JordanTeam Learning LLC
             Making the World Computer Smarter

http://jordanteam.com                USBank Building
216 378 9035 p                       24700 Chagrin Blvd Ste 201A
216 926 3905 p                       Cleveland, OH 44122
                                      USA

Gmane