Pepo | 13 Oct 02:43 2008
Picon

Can I still use my exam?

Hi friends.

	
I took the examination 101 in October 19, 2007. I could not take the other 
because I traveled now I am back and I would like to know if that exam still 
serves me.

I would also like to know if something has changed in the exam because when I 
took this still had questions when the kernel version was 2.2

Thanks.

--

-- 

         Linux User Registered #232544
          Jabber : pepo@...
	   Ekiga : pepo@...
	     ICQ : 337889406
       GnuPG-key : www.keyserver.net
-----------------------------------------------
                   dum loquimur, fugerit invida
aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
G. Matthew Rice | 14 Oct 18:30 2008

Re: Can I still use my exam?

Pepo <pmancheno@...> writes:
> I took the examination 101 in October 19, 2007. I could not take the other 
> because I traveled now I am back and I would like to know if that exam still 
> serves me.

Hi Pepo,

Yes, the 101 exam still counts towards the LPIC-1

> I would also like to know if something has changed in the exam because when
> I took this still had questions when the kernel version was 2.2

The exams have had content updates since you wrote 101.  However, if you plan
on taking the 102 exam after Apr 1st, 2009, you should be studying against
these objectives:

    https://group.lpi.org/publicwiki/bin/view/Examdev/LPIC-10x

Otherwise, you should use the objectives on the main www.lpi.org site as a
checklist.

Regards,
--

-- 
g. matthew rice <matt@...>      starnix care, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20
http://www.starnix.com              professional linux services & products
Adri Mathlener - Letteren | 20 Oct 11:37 2008
Picon

Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

G. Matthew Rice wrote:

> The exams have had content updates since you wrote 101.  However, if you plan
> on taking the 102 exam after Apr 1st, 2009, you should be studying against
> these objectives:
> 
>     https://group.lpi.org/publicwiki/bin/view/Examdev/LPIC-10x
> 
> Otherwise, you should use the objectives on the main www.lpi.org site as a
> checklist.

I'm a bit confused. I have completed 101 and studying now for 102.

As I understand it from this list before, the objectives for 102 are 
changing per december 1st, 2008. You are mentioning april 1st 2009.

My question: What is the exact date for the new objectives for LPIC-10x 
to become active?

--

-- 
With kind regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Adri Mathlener,  Sys. Admin.       Email     : A.L.Mathlener@...
  Serverinfrastructuur CIT,          Phone     : +31 50 363 6961
  Postbus 11044, 9700 CA Groningen,  Country   : The Netherlands
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anselm Lingnau | 20 Oct 12:51 2008
Picon

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

Adri Mathlener - Letteren wrote:

> My question: What is the exact date for the new objectives for LPIC-10x
> to become active?

It seems to be one of the better-kept secrets of LPI HQ but LPI Central Europe 
has recently deigned to tell authors of books and training 
materials »officially« that the LPIC-10x update originally envisioned for 1 
December 2008 has been postponed until 1 April 2009.

Here would be an easy opportunity for LPI Int'l to improve on their pretty 
dismal record of keeping the community informed of changes that actually 
matter to most candidates. It seems thay they can always be counted on to 
make us aware of the new master affiliate for North Elbonia but AFAIK they've 
been sitting on this particular bit of news for a couple of months now as far 
as an official press release is concerned. Apparently you have to read TAC 
minutes and write follow-up e-mails to Matt Rice (who is definitely one of 
the good guys, probably because he's an instructor himself and knows what 
it's like out here in the boonies) in order to find out about these things, 
and then you don't know whether you're actually allowed to tell other people 
because it hasn't yet been officially confirmed. Incidentally, the 
newest »news item« on www.lpi.org dates from early August.

Anselm »Disgruntled in Weiterstadt« Lingnau

(Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and not necessarily that of Linup 
Front GmbH.)
--

-- 
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.lingnau@..., +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de
(Continue reading)

Karl Schock | 20 Oct 17:58 2008
Picon

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

Hello,

> LPI Central Europe has recently deigned to tell authors of books and training 
> materials »officially« that the LPIC-10x update originally envisioned for 1 
> December 2008 has been postponed until 1 April 2009.

I am an author of training materials but I wasn't told anything
so LPI Central Europe seems to apply double standards to authors.
That is not fair! :-(

On www.lpi.org one can read: "LPI has committed that it will never
designate an "official" set of LPI training materials. We are very proud
of our support by many creators of training materials and believe in
maximum choice for those seeking to take LPI exams."

So the LPI should treat all authors equal and give all authors the
same information at the same time.

Bye
Karl
Scott Lamberton | 20 Oct 17:59 2008

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

Anselm et al:

Please be assured there is a communication plan in place.

Two weeks ago changes in publication schedule were communicated to
Master Affiliates so that they in turn could inform their partners.
This is how Anselm found out.  This change in publication scedule was
actually due to thorough consultation with community members, industry
and other stakeholders.

This week a separate communication will go out to Training Partners
around the world and again to courseware publishers from LPI HQ.

Following this advance communication to partners--we will make public
announcements via this list and through PR.

This step-by-step process was to ensure that various stakeholders had an
opportunity to ask further questions, respond in an informed fashion
from their various constituencies, and allow us to refine our
communications for public announcement.

Scott (sigh...misunderstood in Toronto) Lamberton ;-)
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute

Anselm Lingnau wrote:
> Adri Mathlener - Letteren wrote:
> 
> 
>>My question: What is the exact date for the new objectives for LPIC-10x
(Continue reading)

Anselm Lingnau | 20 Oct 18:56 2008
Picon

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: [lpi-discuss] Can I still use my exam?]

Scott Lamberton wrote:

> Two weeks ago changes in publication schedule were communicated to
> Master Affiliates so that they in turn could inform their partners.
> This is how Anselm found out.  This change in publication scedule was
> actually due to thorough consultation with community members, industry
> and other stakeholders.

Guess what: I'm a stakeholder here as well. We discussed the matter of the 
activation date with Matt at the Berlin TAC in May (where a transition period 
during which both sets of objectives would be active was pondered), and 
apparently the issue came up again at the TAC in SF in August. The 
postponement issue was then briefly touched upon on this list as »unofficial, 
definite announcement to follow«.

That news took six weeks to reach us via the Master Affiliates. Even then we 
had to ask back to see whether this was actually official, and apparently 
(see the message by Karl) not everybody in fact did get it through them.

> This step-by-step process was to ensure that various stakeholders had an
> opportunity to ask further questions, respond in an informed fashion
> from their various constituencies, and allow us to refine our
> communications for public announcement.

Excuse me for thinking that this is ridiculous. You knew about this in August 
already. The courseware authors are among the *main* stakeholders as far as 
the activation of the new objectives is concerned -- we need to have our 
stuff in place before other people (like candidates) can reasonably consider 
changing over. Sitting on something for nearly two months while people keep 
asking »is this official? is this official?« is *not* good communications -- 
(Continue reading)

Scott Lamberton | 20 Oct 18:29 2008

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

Karl Schock wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> 
>>LPI Central Europe has recently deigned to tell authors of books and training 
>>materials »officially« that the LPIC-10x update originally envisioned for 1 
>>December 2008 has been postponed until 1 April 2009.
> 
> 
> I am an author of training materials but I wasn't told anything
> so LPI Central Europe seems to apply double standards to authors.
> That is not fair! :-(

Karl:

Again this was a courtesy rather than an injustice: LPI-Approved
Training Material partners (as represented by LinupFront) were notified
first.  To earn "LPI Approved" status requires some $$ investment on
their part.  As partners we have a responsibility to give them advance
warning.

However, the difference in notification can probably be numbered in days.

And in anticipation from hearing from everyone else in the world today:
No, Central Europe was not treated preferentially over any other
region--they were just quicker in getting the message out.

scott

P.S.  Please note that "official" and "approved" are not the same thing.
(Continue reading)

Scott Lamberton | 20 Oct 19:47 2008

[LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute announces new UK affiliate


Linux Professional Institute announces new UK affiliate

(Bristol, UK: October 20, 2008) The Linux Professional Institute (LPI),
 the world's premier Linux certification organization
(http://www.lpi.org), announced a new affiliate for their program in the
United Kingdom to be operated by long time LPI collaborator, LinuxIT.

"We are very pleased to have LinuxIT lead our efforts in the UK to
advance Linux professionalism and LPI certification," said Jim Lacey,
President and CEO of the Linux Professional Institute: "LinuxIT has a
strong track record in the UK in promoting LPI training programs and
fully embraces our vendor-neutral approach to Linux certification." Mr.
Lacey pointed out that LinuxIT was one of the first LPI Approved
Training Partners (LPI-ATP) in the UK and has also created
publicly-available LPI Approved Training Materials (LPI-ATM) for the
International Open Source Network of the United Nations Development
Program (for more information see:
http://www.iosn.net/training/system-adminstrator/lpi-manual/view).
Mr. Lacey made his remarks following a presentation of an LPI Master
Affiliate plaque to LinuxIT representatives welcoming the organization
into LPI's Global Affiliate Network.

Peter Dawes-Huish, CEO of LinuxIT, stressed that the new UK affiliate
would be an independent organization to advance the interests of all
Linux training organizations in the UK: "We have established an
independent body, LPI-UK, to maintain neutrality and to bring together
all of the training partners.  Our goal is to work together in a
comfortable and inclusive manner to ensure that a
credible and recognized Linux certification is available. Our aim is to
(Continue reading)

Scott Lamberton | 20 Oct 18:07 2008

Re: Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: Can I still use my exam?]

Adri Mathlener - Letteren wrote:
> G. Matthew Rice wrote:
> 
>> The exams have had content updates since you wrote 101.  However, if
>> you plan
>> on taking the 102 exam after Apr 1st, 2009, you should be studying
>> against
>> these objectives:
>>
>>     https://group.lpi.org/publicwiki/bin/view/Examdev/LPIC-10x
>>
>> Otherwise, you should use the objectives on the main www.lpi.org site
>> as a
>> checklist.
> 
> 
> I'm a bit confused. I have completed 101 and studying now for 102.
> 
> As I understand it from this list before, the objectives for 102 are
> changing per december 1st, 2008. You are mentioning april 1st 2009.
> 
> My question: What is the exact date for the new objectives for LPIC-10x
> to become active?
> 
> 
> 

Adri:

The confusion is understandable.  The "new" objectives need to be
(Continue reading)


Gmane