Kambiz Darabi | 3 Feb 12:42 2005

Topology information, which port a device is connected to

Hello Stephan,

I'm currently writing a Java wrapper around libusb-win32 and have a serious
problem.

The Java standard javax.usb relies on topology information and needs to know
which port of a hub a device is connected to.

I searched the list archives and found this:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5902372&forum_id=35841

where you answered that the (Linux) libusb project already has data structures
prepared for topology information:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/libusb/libusb/usb.h.in?view=markup

where usb_device has num_children and children added:

struct usb_device {
  ...
  unsigned char num_children;
  struct usb_device **children;
};

and usb_bus has a root device added:

struct usb_bus {
  ...
  struct usb_device *root_dev;
(Continue reading)

Vincent Rubiolo | 4 Feb 11:24 2005
Picon

Port of fxload for win32 available/how difficult would it be to do it using libusb-win32?

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a win32 port of fxload (or EZ-USB/AN2131 firmware loader 
equivalent) for our if2a project (http://if2a.free.fr).
At the moment, our win32 port is not functional because we miss such 
component.

Is there a GPL-equivalent? If not, would that be possible to write one 
using the win32 libusb? Under Linux, from what I see in fxload source 
code, it uses ioctl() over the USB fs to write into the chip ...

Thanks for your help,

Vincent

--

-- 
Reclaim Your Inbox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird

-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting
Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time
by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl
Stephan Meyer | 4 Feb 18:54 2005
Picon

Re: Topology information, which port a device is connected to

Getting USB topology information on Windows is possible. If you have the
DKK then have a look at the 'usbview' example. 

Also, javax.usb already has some basic code that does exactly this:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/javax-usb/javax-usb-ri-windows/jni/dll/

But the main problem is to correlate the retrieved information with the
data structures provided by libusb.

Stephan

> 
> Hello Stephan,
> 
> I'm currently writing a Java wrapper around libusb-win32 and have a serious
> problem.
> 
> The Java standard javax.usb relies on topology information and needs to know
> which port of a hub a device is connected to.
> 
> I searched the list archives and found this:
> 
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5902372&forum_id=35841
> 
> where you answered that the (Linux) libusb project already has data structures
> prepared for topology information:
> 
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/libusb/libusb/usb.h.in?view=markup
> 
(Continue reading)

Stephan Meyer | 4 Feb 19:01 2005
Picon

Re: Re: Automating Driver Installation

libusb-win32-devel <at> lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 03.02.05 13:07:10:
> 
> >> But it would be possible to add a function to the library that
> >> would automatically install, preinstall, and update a device/driver
> >> based on an .inf file or some other information.
> >> Something like "usb_install_and_update_devices(char *your_inf_file)".
> >> I already have some working code that does exactly this.
> >> ...
> >> Stephan
> >
> > That sounds great, do you mind attaching the code to the list?  Doesn"t
> > have to be perfect, just something for everyone to look at.
> >
> > bdp
> 
> Is there any chance that this function will make its way into libusb-win32,
> because I would badly need it.

Yes, it will be included in the next release, but the function will only work
on Win2k and WinXP systems.

> 
> And as I understand, I wouldn't be able to compile it without the DDK.
> 

The current version of libusb-win32 still needs the DDK to compile.
The upcoming release hasn't this requirement anymore, GCC will be
sufficient.

> Many thanks
(Continue reading)

Stephan Meyer | 4 Feb 19:14 2005
Picon

Re: Port of fxload for win32 available/how difficult would it be to do it using libusb-win32?

Here is some code that I wrote for my an2131 board. You can include
it directly in your application, no need for a separate tool.

Stephan

> 
> Hello guys,
> 
> I'm looking for a win32 port of fxload (or EZ-USB/AN2131 firmware loader 
> equivalent) for our if2a project (http://if2a.free.fr).
> At the moment, our win32 port is not functional because we miss such 
> component.
> 
> Is there a GPL-equivalent? If not, would that be possible to write one 
> using the win32 libusb? Under Linux, from what I see in fxload source 
> code, it uses ioctl() over the USB fs to write into the chip ...
> 
> Thanks for your help,
> 
> Vincent
> 
> -- 
> Reclaim Your Inbox!
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird
> 
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting
> Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time
> by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
(Continue reading)

Kambiz Darabi | 4 Feb 22:49 2005

RE: Topology information, which port a device is connected to

> Getting USB topology information on Windows is possible. If you have the
> DKK then have a look at the 'usbview' example.
>
> Also, javax.usb already has some basic code that does exactly this:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/javax-usb/javax-usb-ri-windows/jni/dll/
>
> But the main problem is to correlate the retrieved information with the
> data structures provided by libusb.

Wouldn't the new struct members (usb_device.children and usb_bus.root_dev) be
enough to reflect the topology?

Kambiz

-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting
Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time
by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl
Kambiz Darabi | 4 Feb 22:52 2005

RE: Re: Automating Driver Installation

> Yes, it will be included in the next release, but the function will only work
> on Win2k and WinXP systems.

This is great news! Do you have any plans regarding the release date?

Thanks

Kambiz

-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting
Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time
by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl
stephane coutret | 7 Feb 19:53 2005
Picon

problem with usb_bulk_read and usb_bulk_write

hello,
i'm using libusb-win32 to communicate with a cy7c68013 peripheral, it'a 
a USB2.0 chip,
all works fine but if i want to read from the chip i have to use 
usb_bulk_WRITE !
and usb_bulk_read to write on the endpoints.
i have previously use libusb to read data from a usb mouse, and i didn't 
have this problem
con this be due to the USB2.0?
thx

-------------------------------------------------------
SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide
Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users.
Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click
Mark Seagoe | 8 Feb 04:08 2005
Picon

Re: Can't send Class Setup Type

==============================================================
--- Mark Seagoe <mseagoe <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
The only difference (other than CRC) is that the native driver sends
bytes 6:5 of bmRequestType = 0b01 "Class" (per USB2.0 spec sect 9.3),
whereas LibUSB sends type = "Vendor" (0b10).  I wonder if anyone
knows why this is, since I tried to specify "Class" in the code
<snip>
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Since no reply I'm going to just guess that it's a windows thing.

Thx,
Mark
===============================================================

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

-------------------------------------------------------
SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide
Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users.
Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click
Stephan Meyer | 8 Feb 08:42 2005
Picon

Re: problem with usb_bulk_read and usb_bulk_write

Are you using the right endpoint addresses, did you interchange 
IN and OUT endpoints?

> hello,
> i'm using libusb-win32 to communicate with a cy7c68013 peripheral, it'a 
> a USB2.0 chip,
> all works fine but if i want to read from the chip i have to use 
> usb_bulk_WRITE !
> and usb_bulk_read to write on the endpoints.
> i have previously use libusb to read data from a usb mouse, and i didn't 

> have this problem
> con this be due to the USB2.0?
> thx
> 
> 
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------
> SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide
> Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users.
> Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now.
> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click
> _______________________________________________
> Libusb-win32-devel mailing list
> Libusb-win32-devel <at> lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusb-win32-devel

-------------------------------------------------------
SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide
Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users.
(Continue reading)


Gmane