Lukas Renggli | 1 Nov 09:21 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: Adding link types

>> I was wondering if it might be worth dispatching the calls
>> visitBrokenInternalLink: visitEmbeddedInternalLink: etc back to the  
>> Link
>> instance...

Indeed, that would make the code easier to extend. I keep a note on  
that and we can try to refactor that in the near future.

Right now, I have to be a bit careful. I did all kinds of experiments  
in the latest commits, that very likely will not all make it into the  
next release. I am also waiting for feedback for that matters (see my  
next mail).

Cheers,
Lukas

--

-- 
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki

Lukas Renggli | 1 Nov 09:29 2007
Picon
Picon

Pier Refactorings

Hi,

the latest version of Pier includes a few experimental features. I  
would like to hear your opinion on these:

1. Environments

Before environments were a reference to a different page anywhere on  
your page. One idea was to replace this reference with a document  
(like the page has one). This allows then to edit the meta-page using  
the settings and have it close to the page it is applied to. As  
before, keeping it empty would inherit the environment from the  
parent. Do you think that improves the usability?

2. Custom Documents

Another idea was that an environment (that is independent of the  
proposal above) can add any number of document (formerly called  
content widget) widgets. These widgets could then be put for example  
into a side-bar or the heading to allow customization of these parts  
of the page as part of the edit process of a structure. Again these  
'extra' documents can have default documents and/or be inherited from  
parent structures. Do you think that would be useful?

Do you think 1 is still useful if we have 2?

I appreciate any thoughts on this. Of course I already made my own  
opinion (that you might read between the lines) ...

Cheers,
(Continue reading)

Jason Johnson | 1 Nov 18:51 2007
Picon

Re: Pier Refactorings

It sounds interesting.  Is there a code example anywhere to help me
visualize some good use cases for this?  I understand what you're
saying about the side bar, but my pier site already had it in the old
design, so I'm interested to see how this improves it.

On 11/1/07, Lukas Renggli <renggli <at> iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the latest version of Pier includes a few experimental features. I
> would like to hear your opinion on these:
>
> 1. Environments
>
> Before environments were a reference to a different page anywhere on
> your page. One idea was to replace this reference with a document
> (like the page has one). This allows then to edit the meta-page using
> the settings and have it close to the page it is applied to. As
> before, keeping it empty would inherit the environment from the
> parent. Do you think that improves the usability?
>
> 2. Custom Documents
>
> Another idea was that an environment (that is independent of the
> proposal above) can add any number of document (formerly called
> content widget) widgets. These widgets could then be put for example
> into a side-bar or the heading to allow customization of these parts
> of the page as part of the edit process of a structure. Again these
> 'extra' documents can have default documents and/or be inherited from
> parent structures. Do you think that would be useful?
>
(Continue reading)

Lukas Renggli | 1 Nov 19:08 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: Pier Refactorings

> It sounds interesting.  Is there a code example anywhere to help me
> visualize some good use cases for this?

Ahh, indeed I didn't commit point 2 yet, because it is not quite  
working yet :-/

> I understand what you're saying about the side bar, but my pier site  
> already had it in the old
> design, so I'm interested to see how this improves it.

How did you do it? The problem I am facing right now is that I want to  
change the side-bar independent of the currently used environment?  
Similar to the way I am changing the contents area.

Cheers,
Lukas

--

-- 
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki

Jason Johnson | 1 Nov 20:05 2007
Picon

Re: Pier Refactorings

On 11/1/07, Lukas Renggli <renggli <at> iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
>
> How did you do it? The problem I am facing right now is that I want to
> change the side-bar independent of the currently used environment?
> Similar to the way I am changing the contents area.

I haven't looked at it for a while, but I believe I just had it in the
main contents area like the default Pier.  I just switched out that
default side bar with a custom one that had specific navigations and a
login button.  If you log in as administrator you finally see the Pier
buttons (comment, environment etc.).  And CSS was used to move it
around.

I'll try to have a look when I get a chance.

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki

Keith Hodges | 1 Nov 22:01 2007
Picon

Re: Pier Refactorings

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the latest version of Pier includes a few experimental features. I  
> would like to hear your opinion on these:
>
> 1. Environments
>
> Before environments were a reference to a different page anywhere on  
> your page. 
I didn't like this at first, but I find it to be quite flexible.
> One idea was to replace this reference with a document  
> (like the page has one). This allows then to edit the meta-page using  
> the settings and have it close to the page it is applied to. As  
> before, keeping it empty would inherit the environment from the  
> parent. Do you think that improves the usability?
>   
Currently the the process is not that explicit, any page can be the
environment. The designer of the site can/has to establish their own
conventions as to where the environments are stored in the hierarchy and
who has permissions to edit them.

It is easier in the sense that you are making the environment a special
document in a special place and so providing a special button with which
to edit it. This makes the process explicit and perhaps clearer.

However I prefer the flexibility to establish my own conventions, but I
need the space/a place in which to explain these conventions to my users.

So if I am forced to have the environment in the vicinity of the root
(Continue reading)

Lukas Renggli | 2 Nov 11:01 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: Pier Refactorings

> environment
>    layout
>       layoutA
>       layoutB
>    scripts
>    css
>       cssA
>       cssB
>    color-schemes
>
> The current scheme allows me to do this because I just point my root
> page's environment to /environment/layout.

Indeed, I use the same approach. Maybe it would help, if we had such a  
setup by default, with some explanatory text. Like this we would get a  
decent default configuration, but you would be still free to  
reorganize it however you like.

One problem I see with having the environment in the structure itself  
(as opposed to having it on a separate page) is that it is virtually  
impossible to use relative links. And you need those links because you  
don't want your components in the same hierarchy as the page.

> If I was doing a side bar I would add environment/side-bar to this  
> list
> and the layout includes +../sidebar+

The problem I face is that I need a different side-bar text for every  
page. And having a new layout for every page is not what I want.

(Continue reading)

Damien Pollet | 4 Nov 16:59 2007
Picon

bug? Partial html output

Hi,

I have two Pier images that give partial HTML an a particular page in
Pier. Safari just displays a few lines of uninterpreted, unfinished
HTML. The HTML ends repetedly at the same place:
- in one image it's in the middle of a string (html text: 'in the
middle of this string')
- in the second image it's just after the first occurence of a
continuation argument in a URL (this image is squeak-dev 7145 + latest
pier-blog from universes)

I tried debugging, but the HTML generation goes further than what
Safari gets, so the bug must be later when seaside sends the page to
the browser… any idea how to proceed ?

--

-- 
Damien Pollet
type less, do more [ | ] http://typo.cdlm.fasmz.org

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki
Jason Johnson | 4 Nov 17:40 2007
Picon

PRDistribution and PUDistribution

Hi all,

I just upgraded to the newest Pier, Magritte, Seaside and Kom.  I
notice I can't get the server started for some reason, and in the
course of tracking this down I noticed that PR/PUDistribution both
inherit from the now non-existant MADistribuation.  What should they
be inheriting from?

Thanks,
Jason

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki

Lukas Renggli | 4 Nov 18:28 2007
Picon
Picon

Re: PRDistribution and PUDistribution

> I just upgraded to the newest Pier, Magritte, Seaside and Kom.  I
> notice I can't get the server started for some reason, and in the
> course of tracking this down I noticed that PR/PUDistribution both
> inherit from the now non-existant MADistribuation.  What should they
> be inheriting from?

PR/PUDistribution both inherited from MADistribution in Magritte-Core.  
All these classes are gone in the latest versions.

It looks like you have the latest version of Magritte, but not the one  
of Pier and friends.

The MA/PR/PUDistribution classes are not needed to run Pier, they are  
solely there for me to create installers for SqueakMap and Package  
Universes with one click. In the process of making it easier to port  
these frameworks to VisualWorks and GemStone I removed them from the  
core packages.

Cheers,
Lukas

--

-- 
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

_______________________________________________
SmallWiki, Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...
https://www.iam.unibe.ch/mailman/listinfo/smallwiki

(Continue reading)


Gmane