As I mentioned back on February 26, PLT would like to get out of the mailing-list administration game. That message was greeted with what I would characterize as cautious apathy, which is exactly what I was hoping for.
Accordingly, we’re going to proceed with the plan to switch to Google Groups, starting today.
For those that are interested, here’s the proposed sequence of steps. At the end of each step is a listing of the problems that are expected to be present after that step is complete.
DONE disable legacy archive flag on google group, do some local testing (group won’t be archiving messages)
- send nice warning message to everyone (here it is!), and ask people to sign up for the new google group themselves (group won’t be archiving messages)
- update text at www.racket-lang.org
to tell people to sign up for the google group, rather than using the mailman interface. (new users can’t see incoming messages, some old users can’t see messages on new group)
- disable mailman-based signup for the group. Add a nice message if possible that tells people to sign up for the google group instead. (new users can’t see messages on dev, some old users can’t see messages on new group)
- create google alias from users <at> racket-lang to point to users-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
, as Eli helped me do for dev. (some old users can’t see messages on new group)
- after an appropriate interval, bulk-add existing members. (some people won’t choose to be on the mailing list any more.)
… at this point, mailman is out of the loop.
- update mail-archive.com
to archive new group
- update gmane mirror
- update marc.info
We would like the transition to be as smooth as possible, and we can use your help with this. Specifically, Google has a daily cap on the number of e-mail addresses that can be bulk-invited to a mailing list. For this reason, it would speed the transition greatly if you could take a moment to sign up for the new group yourself, using this URL:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/racket-users/join
Some of you are *already* members of this group, but you have your delivery option set to “no e-mail”. If you’re one of these users, then you should adjust your delivery preference to “all e-mail” (assuming this is what you want).
We plan to disable signup for the old group now. Tomorrow, we plan to alter the delivery of the users-GvBox1K3Ixw1Q5oZIJT9Xw@public.gmane.org
address to point to the new group.
We plan to manually add or invite the members who do not add themselves, but the daily cap will mean that these users are likely to miss one or more days of postings to this list. Naturally, those posts will be archived, as part of the group. Also, I have to fill out a captcha for each 10 users, and we currently have more than 1,500.
The archive of the existing list will continue to exist, though new messages will not be added to it.
Let us know if you run into problems!