Re: remote connection to an Oracle database - using RODBC
Based upon the reply from Actual Tech below, you should definitely remove the XML file name from the Setup
File entry in the driver configuration.
I did not see an indication in your communication with them below that you specifically mentioned the need
for Kerberos based authentication, which would be a critical omission in the interaction with them, if
From a search this morning, if my read is correct, it would seem that the Kerberos authentication needs to be
supported in the ODBC driver, so that the authentication process is transparent to the calling program
(eg. R/RODBC). Looking through some sites that I found, there are options in the DSN configuration in ODBC
Manager that support Oracle Advanced Security. You may need to confirm the correct settings with your
SysAdmin/DBAdmin for Kerberos on your Oracle server.
1. Go into ODBC Manager and select the DSN configuration for your Oracle server.
2. On the initial page ("Introduction"), select Continue.
3. That will bring you to a page where you "Enter the data source name". Be sure that information is correct
and then press Continue.
4. On the next page ("Select the database"), select "Advanced Options". That will bring up a dialog window
where you can select "Use Oracle Advanced Security". Once you select that, you can then enter the
additional parameters for Encryption and Checksum. Once you do that with the correct parameters, press OK.
5. That should then bring you to a "Conclusion" window. On the bottom of that window will be a Test button,
which you should press. You should then be prompted for username and password information. Then press OK,
which should then bring up a test results window with information on success/failure. If successful,
then press OK and you will be returned to the Conclusion window and you are done.