Robby Stephenson | 1 Mar 15:46 2007

Re: Trying to import from CSV

Hi,

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Henk van Velden wrote:
> I hope this is the right e-mail address to ask some questions. When not,
> please stop reading and mail me back telling me what to do to put this on
> the right place.

You're in the right place!

> I try to import data about a CD collection from an old application (on
> MS-DOS 6, I didn't found an application like this one until I found
> Tellico!!). I generated a CSV file and imported it into Tellico. In
> general it works, but I have some questions:
>
> What is the character encoding that Tellico thinks the imported file has,
> I am loosing characters like ë â etc.

Tellico uses the Qt classes for reading files, and I think they default to 
the system encoding. If that's not working, you could try using iconv to 
convert the file to a different encoding before importing it.

> The data about the different tracks on a CD should go into the table
> Tracks. How do I import fields from the CSV into the different rows and
> columns of that table. Until now I succeeded only in attaching one CSV
> column to the field Tracks and then the first column of the first row of
> Tracks is filled from that CSV column.

Tracks could be separated by a semicolon. Like
  album, artist, track1;track2;track3,year
for example. That's how it's carried internally as a string.
(Continue reading)

Robby Stephenson | 1 Mar 15:48 2007

Re: how can I change the search attribute?

On Thursday 01 March 2007, you wrote:
> > You'll have to recompile after modifying src/fetch/z3950fetcher.cpp,
> > down around line 160 or so.
>
> ok, thanks, i'll try this.
>
> > Perhaps it's worth making that configurable somehow.
>
> sure! since the z39.50 servers seem to use different attributes. another
> most-wanted feature: import endnote-profiles-tool for z39.50-servers...

Do you know if the endnote profiles file format is documented anywhere? I 
think I took a look at it once upon a time but couldn't figure out how to 
read them.

Robby
Robby Stephenson | 2 Mar 04:40 2007

Re: Trying to import from CSV

On Thursday 01 March 2007, you wrote:
> > Tracks could be separated by a semicolon. Like
> >   album, artist, track1;track2;track3,year
> > for example. That's how it's carried internally as a string.
>
> It works! The track names go into the right place. I still wander how to
> handle track artist en track length, but as I don't have them in the old
> implementation, this is only academic.

table columns are separated by a double-colon :: Don't ask me why. I don't 
remember why I did that, and it's over 5 years ago... :)

For example,

my album, artist1, track1::artist1; track2::artist2::1:03

Robby
Robby Stephenson | 2 Mar 05:16 2007

Tellico 1.2.9 Released

Tellico 1.2.9 is available at 
http://periapsis.org/tellico/download/tellico-1.2.9.tar.gz

* Updated IMDb search.
* Fixed sorting for entries with rating = 10
* Fixed bug with formatting dependent fields
* Fixed bug with adding spaces following a comma in the editor
* Changed MODS import to allow any result with typeOfResult = text
* Fixed several bugs with i18n issues, thanks to patches from 

Plenty of thanks to Jens Seidel for his patches and work on the translation 
issues.

Robby
Art Alexion | 2 Mar 15:26 2007
X-Face
Picon
Picon

Re: Exporting to Palm and limiting the data

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 01:00, Robby Stephenson wrote:
> On Sunday 25 February 2007, sean wrote:
> > 	Is there any way when I export to a palm database that I can limit what
> > is exported of an entry?
>
> Short answer, no. :) Best thing I can offer is similar to what Jens
> suggested. Delete fields and then export (without saving with the field
> deleted, of course) or export to a different format, and import, etc. Not
> very user-friendly, I know.

I just fired up jpilot-db which is a cross-platform desktop for pilot-db 
files.  I was going to suggest exporting from tellico to pilot-db and doing 
your querying/filtering there.  But jpilot-db doesn't seem to have filtering 
or querying capability (so what's the point?).  There are other windows based 
desktop apps that may run under wine that you could use to do your query and 
export, though.

I basically installed pilot-db just to have my collection on my palm handheld.  
It is great that a FOSS palm db does exist, but it is very, very weak 
compared to the commercial palm dbs.
--

-- 

_____________________________________________________________
Art Alexion

PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
The attachment - signature.asc - is my electronic signature; no need for 
alarm.  Info  <at>  
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html
(Continue reading)

Doruk Fisek | 2 Mar 16:37 2007
Picon

file list importer -- tar/zip/rar archiver support

Hi,

 Import file listing does a decent job of automatically creating a file
catalog. It can also be used to catalog cd/dvd archives since it also
reads the volume.

 I think, if it also had a feature to get the file listings inside the
archives it found (like tar, zip and rar); that would be nice.

                   Doruk

--
FISEK INSTITUTE - http://www.fisek.org.tr
Leopold Palomo Avellaneda | 3 Mar 19:54 2007
Picon

Big databases

Hi,

I'm trying to make some king of collection with all the files from some cds 
that I have of backups, collections of several files, etc. The idea is to 
have some kind of register of all the files that I have. When I need I file, 
search in the database, show me the volume (a cd/dvd) and the path and then, 
taking it.

The import function works very well, not as one year ago. The problem is that 
tellico (or sqllite ...) has problems managing >40K registers. I have to 
admit that I don't have a box cutting the edge, it's just a amd64 3200 with 
1Gb of RAM running a debian amd64 distro. :-)

This then makes me think in one reflexion about this problem. Probably, 
although the migration to a sql server with improve it, there's some problem 
in the manage of the database in the tellico structure. I think that tellico 
has to minimize the access to the data, because in a large database is not 
practical. To manage a little collection will not be a problem because I 
think that the database is in memory, but it's better to have a screen in a 
minimal information about the whole database and the complete of one register 
and all the other makings queries to the database (sqllite or server). I 
think that is not practical have a complete list of all the register because 
then the manage of the database became impractical eating all the resources 
of the box.

Well, this is my 2 cent.

Regards,

Leo
(Continue reading)

Jens Seidel | 5 Mar 00:15 2007
Picon

Another trivial l10n patch

Hi,

I noticed a wrong translation of a plural form in various languages.
The attached patch adds a remark and fixes it. This adds a fuzzy string
to cs.po, nl.po, hu.po and sv.po. Translators, please update!

There are also a few further really minor changes in de.po.

src/configdialog.cpp contains i18n("Download.."), probably it should be
i18n("Download ..."). Don't forget to update all PO files if you change
this.

Jens
Attachment (tellico.diff): text/x-diff, 9 KiB
_______________________________________________
tellico-users mailing list
tellico-users@...
http://forge.novell.com/mailman/listinfo/tellico-users
Robby Stephenson | 5 Mar 04:25 2007

Re: file list importer -- tar/zip/rar archiver support

On Friday 02 March 2007, Doruk Fisek wrote:
>  Import file listing does a decent job of automatically creating a file
> catalog. It can also be used to catalog cd/dvd archives since it also
> reads the volume.

Right, I had that in mind a bit.

>  I think, if it also had a feature to get the file listings inside the
> archives it found (like tar, zip and rar); that would be nice.

That's been on my to-do list for a while, I just haven't taken the time to 
figure out how to use the KDE libraries to open and read the archive...

Robby
Robby Stephenson | 5 Mar 04:30 2007

Re: Big databases

Hi Leo,

On Saturday 03 March 2007, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> I'm trying to make some king of collection with all the files from some
> cds that I have of backups, collections of several files, etc. The idea
> is to have some kind of register of all the files that I have. When I
> need I file, search in the database, show me the volume (a cd/dvd) and
> the path and then, taking it.

Right, sounds like a typical use case for most disk catalog programs. I just 
came across one called CdFly http://cdfly.sf.net that looks pretty nice. If 
Tellico doesn't work well enough for you, you might want to give it a try.

> The import function works very well, not as one year ago. The problem is
> that tellico (or sqllite ...) has problems managing >40K registers. I
> have to admit that I don't have a box cutting the edge, it's just a amd64
> 3200 with 1Gb of RAM running a debian amd64 distro. :-)

Right, you should really try to catch up with the times and get a modern 
box. :) I can't say that I've worked with a collection of 40 000 entries. 
Do they all have thumbnails associated with them?

> This then makes me think in one reflexion about this problem. Probably,
> although the migration to a sql server with improve it, there's some
> problem in the manage of the database in the tellico structure. I think
> that tellico has to minimize the access to the data, because in a large
> database is not practical. To manage a little collection will not be a
> problem because I think that the database is in memory, but it's better
> to have a screen in a minimal information about the whole database and
> the complete of one register and all the other makings queries to the
(Continue reading)


Gmane