Vladimir | 2 Apr 18:14 2008
Picon

Re: [kde-edu]: Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

Hello,

Step is stayed in kdereview 17 days. If there are no objections I'll move it 
into kdeedu on Friday.

On Saturday 15 March 2008 23:50:41 Vladimir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the help of Pino I've just moved Step into kdereview. As discussed on
> IRC Step can be included in kde-edu package in 4.1 release. Some parts of
> Step are still not polished enough but I hope I'll finish them in timeframe
> for 4.1 release.
>
> Step webpage: http://edu.kde.org/step/

--

-- 
      Best Regards,
        Vladimir

Shashank Chintalagiri | 3 Apr 00:45 2008
Picon

: Icon for Step


Hello,
I've drawn up a first draft of a possible icon for step. I wasn't able
to figure out where in the wiki it would go, so I posted it
http://home.iitk.ac.in/~chintal/downloads/step/ . Do take a look if
you have a bit of free time and tell me what changes would make it
better.

Regards
Shashank

--
________________________________
Chintalagiri Shashank
Junior Undergraduate
Department of Physics
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur

chintal <at> iitk.ac.in
shashank.chintalagiri <at> gmail.com
http://home.iitk.ac.in/~chintal
________________________________

Chisel Wright | 3 Apr 18:01 2008
Picon

: Parley ...

Isn't there already an open source project with the name "Parley"?

It looks like Parley used to be KVocTrain?

Do you think this will cause any future confusion?
--

-- 
Orlock
(orlockblackraven <at> gmail.com)
Carsten Niehaus | 3 Apr 19:55 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: [kde-edu]: Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

Moin Vladimir and list!

Today, I tested Step quite a lot and have a bit of feedback. 

First, I demo'ed it to some of my students (7th grade (~13y) and 10th grade 
(~16y)) and let them play with it on their own. Most of them *really* liked 
it! Several at once asked where they can download it. The discussion with 
them and with physics teachers resulted in these three bugreports:

        http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160332   

        http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160334    

        http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160335

There were almost no negative comments. I will try to list them here:

1. Missing documentation (both handbook and this nice GUI-help-widget-thing in 
the bottom right corner)

2. Missing german translation
 → This will of course be fixed as soon as Step is in kdeedu, I just wanted to 
mention it here as it was almost the only real complaint ;-)

3. Some students have issues finding options. For example, some asked me "How 
can I change the colour of this item". They (of course) do not associate 
#FF0000 with "Blue".

4. We closed those widgets on the right and didn't find a way to readd them... 
In the end I removed ~/.kde4/share/config/steprc but that is of course a 
(Continue reading)

RalfGesellensetter | 3 Apr 20:26 2008
Picon
Picon

[kde-edu]: KDE-Edu in KDE 4.0.3

Dear list,

a German news portal reports: KDE 4.0.3 presents new educational 
applications - this is worth some congratulations!

My KDE RSS-Feeds didn't tell anything about this release. Did I miss 
anything?

Regards
Ralf
Anne-Marie Mahfouf | 3 Apr 20:46 2008
Picon

Re: [kde-edu]: KDE-Edu in KDE 4.0.3

Le Thursday 03 April 2008 08:26:13 pm RalfGesellensetter, vous avez écrit :
> Dear list,
>
> a German news portal reports: KDE 4.0.3 presents new educational
> applications - this is worth some congratulations!
>
> My KDE RSS-Feeds didn't tell anything about this release. Did I miss
> anything?
>
> Regards
> Ralf
Hi Ralf,

I think the German news site did not understand the KDE 4.0.3 release 
announcement correctly. The announce highlights KDE-Edu applications but 
there are no new programs, all are the same than in 4.0.0
It's good however that they notice KDE-Edu!

Best regards,

Anne-Marie
Uwe Thiem | 3 Apr 21:18 2008

Re: [kde-edu]: Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

On Thursday 03 April 2008, Carsten Niehaus wrote:

> 5.2. More examples. Let me repeat this: More examples :-) Serious,
> the teachers told me they find it a bit hard to construct examples.
> They understand how to do it and would manage it but with more
> examples it would be possible to (instead of constructing a
> completly new .step-file) start with an example and modify it for
> your own needs.

Let me pipe in here with an experience from SchoolNet Namibia. Once 
Step is out in the wild (I mean released with KDE 4.1) create an 
online place where teachers (and students?) can share examples which 
will then be downloadable via KNewStuff. An avalanche of new examples 
might see the light.

Uwe

--

-- 
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/
SysEx (Pty) Ltd.:
http://www.SysEx.com.na/
Carsten Niehaus | 3 Apr 21:27 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: [kde-edu]: Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

Am Donnerstag, 3. April 2008 21:18:43 schrieb Uwe Thiem:
> > 5.2. More examples. Let me repeat this: More examples :-) Serious,
> > the teachers told me they find it a bit hard to construct examples.
> > They understand how to do it and would manage it but with more
> > examples it would be possible to (instead of constructing a
> > completly new .step-file) start with an example and modify it for
> > your own needs.
>
> Let me pipe in here with an experience from SchoolNet Namibia. Once
> Step is out in the wild (I mean released with KDE 4.1) create an
> online place where teachers (and students?) can share examples which
> will then be downloadable via KNewStuff. An avalanche of new examples
> might see the light.

Moin Uwe!

A new categorie come in my mind (beside KNewStuff, of course)

http://www.kde-apps.org/

Carsten
_______________________________________________
kde-edu mailing list
kde-edu <at> mail.kde.org
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu
Vladimir | 3 Apr 21:27 2008
Picon

Re: : Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

On Thursday 03 April 2008 23:18:43 Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> > 5.2. More examples. Let me repeat this: More examples :-) Serious,
> > the teachers told me they find it a bit hard to construct examples.
> > They understand how to do it and would manage it but with more
> > examples it would be possible to (instead of constructing a
> > completly new .step-file) start with an example and modify it for
> > your own needs.
>
> Let me pipe in here with an experience from SchoolNet Namibia. Once
> Step is out in the wild (I mean released with KDE 4.1) create an
> online place where teachers (and students?) can share examples which
> will then be downloadable via KNewStuff. An avalanche of new examples
> might see the light.
Very good idea ! Actually Step already has knewstuff download and upload is 
planned for 4.1. But online website with a list of examples will be nice 
addition too.

--

-- 
      Best Regards,
        Vladimir
Frederik Gladhorn | 3 Apr 21:49 2008
Picon
Picon

Re: [kde-edu]: Step is moved for review to be included in kde-edu for 4.1

Hi Carsten, Vladislav and all,

El Thursday 03 April 2008, Carsten Niehaus escribió:
> 4. We closed those widgets on the right and didn't find a way to readd
> them... In the end I removed ~/.kde4/share/config/steprc but that is of
> course a crappy way...
Work around:
right click on the title of another dock widget to get a list of all of 
them ;) not very discoverable, I know.

Vladimir:
This should be easy to fix though: create another menu containing the dock 
widgets. When creating the docks, simply add QDockWidget::toggleViewAction() 
to the action collection and the menu :) (Parley in trunk does it that way).

Regards,
Frederik

--

-- 
Parley - The Vocabulary Trainer
http://edu.kde.org/parley

_______________________________________________
kde-edu mailing list
kde-edu <at> mail.kde.org
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu

Gmane