u.guengerich | 2 May 16:52 2003
Picon
Picon

inverted cursor like in XP

Hi there,

i am running XP, next to my linux, and ( apart from many annoying ones ) i
found this little feature of a big inverted cursor very helpful and wondered
if anyone had ever done something like that??

Couldn't find it on kde-look, but i'm sure there's something alike.

If not, i'd be very interested in doing it. To get a slow start in
contributing something to kde.

Can anyone put me into some direction where to start here? Do i have to dig
in to xcursor library or how is one of those cursor themes actually done? Is
there some kind of tutorial out there?

PLEASE REPOND TO UG78 <at> GMX.DE as i am not yet subscribed to the mailing list.

I'll be grateful for any pointer or piece of info.

Thanks in advance,

Udo Guengerich
Oswald Buddenhagen | 11 May 15:50 2003
Picon

Re: kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 07:52:43PM +0200, Stephan Binner wrote:
> CVS commit by binner: 
> 
> cp cr16-action-launch.png cr16-action-fork.png
> cp cr22-action-launch.png cr22-action-fork.png
> 
heh, ok, but note, that this is the safest way to never get a new icon
painted ... if you ask me, leave it in the branch and remove in head.
or, even better, paint a new icon now.
oh, and an "smserver" icon, too. hi tackat. ;-)

greetings

--

-- 
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into your ~/.signature, please!
--
Chaos, panic, and disorder - my work here is done.

Stephan Binner | 11 May 21:16 2003
Picon

Re: kdelibs/pics/crystalsvg

On Sunday 11 May 2003 15:50, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > cp cr16-action-launch.png cr16-action-fork.png
> > cp cr22-action-launch.png cr22-action-fork.png
> but note, that this is the safest way to never get a new icon painted ...

Did the "let it show the broken/unknown icon and someone will paint an icon 
for it"-method ever work? I remember fixing it for the last x.x.1 releases.

> or, even better, paint a new icon now.

No chance, but I already filed a bug report for "artwork" long time ago. It
seems that we are missing artists to continously contributing new icons atm.

Bye,
   Steve

Fredrik Höglund | 12 May 23:49 2003
Picon

Re: inverted cursor like in XP

u.guengerich <at> gmx.de wrote:
> Hi there,
> 
> i am running XP, next to my linux, and ( apart from many annoying ones ) i
> found this little feature of a big inverted cursor very helpful and
> wondered if anyone had ever done something like that??
> 
> Couldn't find it on kde-look, but i'm sure there's something alike.
> 
> If not, i'd be very interested in doing it. To get a slow start in
> contributing something to kde.
>
> Can anyone put me into some direction where to start here? Do i have to
> dig in to xcursor library or how is one of those cursor themes actually
> done? Is there some kind of tutorial out there?

Thanks for being interested in working on this. As far as I know there
is no project to create an inverted cursor theme for KDE.

An X cursor theme is basically a freedesktop.org icon theme, with a
cursors subdirectory containing cursors in the X cursor format.
The icon theme spec can be found at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/icon-theme-spec.html

The parts that apply to cursor themes are the parts that deal with
the directory layout and the part that describes the index.theme file.

There is a simple utility in XFree86 4.3 called xcursorgen that can
be used to convert PNG images to cursor files. The manpage for
that utility explains how it's used.
(Continue reading)

Udo Güngerich | 13 May 14:54 2003
Picon
Picon

Re: inverted cursor like in XP


> Thanks for being interested in working on this. As far as I know there
> is no project to create an inverted cursor theme for KDE.
> 
> An X cursor theme is basically a freedesktop.org icon theme, with a
> cursors subdirectory containing cursors in the X cursor format.
> The icon theme spec can be found at:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/icon-theme-spec.html
> 
> The parts that apply to cursor themes are the parts that deal with
> the directory layout and the part that describes the index.theme file.
> 
> There is a simple utility in XFree86 4.3 called xcursorgen that can
> be used to convert PNG images to cursor files. The manpage for
> that utility explains how it's used.
> 
> Like with icons there are several sizes for each cursor, by default
> 16, 24, 32, 48, and 64. Those are nominal sizes, so the images
> can actually be slightly larger or slightly smaller. There aren't
> separate directories for the sizes like with icons, instead all the
> sizes of a cursor are stored in the same cursor file.
> 
> Having all those sizes in a theme is of course optional, but I would
> make that a requirement for inclusion in CVS, since KDE needs to
> support a wide range of resolutions.
> 
> Users will likely expect an official theme to include all the cursors
> KDE/Qt, Gtk+, OpenOffice and Mozilla uses.
> 
> If you check out the make_it_cool branch of kdebase/kcontrol/input
(Continue reading)

רמי | 22 May 15:09 2003
Picon

Fw:Fw:Fw:גדול!! גדול!! ענק!!

השירות בארץ חרה נכון? אתר ענק!! מטפלים בכולם ללא תשלום וגם רואים תוצאות מיידיות!

חובה להכנס: www.service-report.co.il

העבירו גם לחברים שלכם. באחריות!

_______________________________________________
kde-artists mailing list
kde-artists <at> mail.kde.org
http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-artists
Harri Porten | 23 May 21:23 2003

KDE Developers' Conference - Call for Papers

KDE Developers' Conference - Call for Papers
August 23th to 25th 
Zamek, Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Conference Program

The KDE Developers' Conference is a meeting of KDE contributors from
all over the world. It will feature three days of technical talks and
tutorials. Following the conference there will be some - albeit
limited - opportunity for interested groups to gather together in
computer labs for a hacking session until the 31st of August.
Besides, there will be plenty of time for socializing.

More information is available at http://events.kde.org/info/kastle

Do you have a particular expertise related to KDE programming that
could be useful for your fellow developers? Do you want to present a
particular programming pattern, a tool, a development strategy, or
anything else that helps KDE developers become more productive? Then
consider talking about it or giving a tutorial at the KDE Developers'
Conference.

We solicit submissions for presentations and tutorials from, but not
restricted to the following fields. Everything KDE-related will be
considered.

- KDE and Qt programming tricks
- DCOP, KParts, KOffice, multimedia etc. development
- programming tools, patterns
- programming patterns and development strategies
- project management issues
- internationalization
- documentation
- usability, accessibility, interoperability

Talks will be scheduled for 45 minutes talk and 15 minutes Q&A. In
some cases, it may be possible to occupy two slots for a total talk
time of 90 minutes or offer short presentations of 15 minutes
each. Please note the estimated talking time in your application.

Finally, BoF sessions can be announced in advance or planned on the
spot. A limited number of group rooms will be available for BoFs.

Submission Guidelines

Those proposing to present papers should submit an abstract including
the name and e-mail address of the author or authors to
nove-hrady-committee <at> kde.org. The conference language is English. The
abstracts will be reviewed by the program committee based on content,
presentation and suitability for the event. By submitting an abstract
you give permission to publish it on the conference web site.

Location

The KDE Developers' Conference will take place at the Zamek ("Castle")
in Nove Hrady in the southern part of the Czech Republic in Central
Europe. Facilities are hosted and sponsored by the Institute of
Physical Biology of the University of South Bohemia. Nove Hrady cannot
easily be reached by public transportations, but a shuttle service
will be provided from Prague-Ruzyne airport and Prague Central
Station.

Speaker Incentives and Financial Compensation

The KDE Developers' Conference is run by KDE e.V., the Academic and
University Center Nove Hrady and the Polytechnic University of Upper
Austria in Hagenberg. KDE e.V. is a non-profit organization of
volunteering professionals and enthusiasts of free and open-source
software.

We only have a limited budget for this conference, and cannot
generally pay travel expenses or any other reimbursement or
gratification to speakers. We can provide accommodation and boarding
at a very low price (expect about 15-20 Euros per day for full board
and lodging, but don't expect luxury accommodation), and the shuttle
service from and to Prague will be free of charge.

KDE e.V. is soliciting donations from companies and individuals
towards this conference. These donations will be used both for running
the conference and for bursaries for delegates from other continents
and/or without income. Delegates with an accepted paper will be
prioritized in the distribution of these bursaries.

Please note that even if we can grant you a bursary, you will still be
expected to pay a part of trip yourself, as well as your boarding and
lodging.

Important Dates

Please submit your contributions no later than the indicated dates:

Abstract submission deadline:
May 31, 2003

Acceptance notification:
June 16, 2003

Final papers due:
July 16, 2003

all 23:59 UTC

For the Program Committee

Matthias Kalle Dalheimer
President, KDE e.V.


Gmane