Jan Schneider | 1 Aug 11:10 2007

Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Hi,

I just noticed that the attachment size limits are applied no matter  
if the attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.  
The rationale behind linked attachments was to avoid sending large  
files with the SMTP protocol which was not designed as a file transfer  
protocol.
Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe even  
not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked attachments?  
Utilizing the linked attachments for very easy file distribution is a  
nice use case, and one of my clients actually does this. You don't  
have to set a up a separate file server and you keep your users from  
sending huge attachments around. For this scenario the size limits for  
linked and inline attachments should be de-coupled.
Thoughts?

Jan.

-- 
Do you need professional PHP or Horde consulting?
http://horde.org/consulting/

--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Listaccount | 1 Aug 13:58 2007
Picon

Re: Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org>:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the attachment size limits are applied no matter
> if the attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.
> The rationale behind linked attachments was to avoid sending large
> files with the SMTP protocol which was not designed as a file transfer
> protocol.
> Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe even
> not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked attachments?
> Utilizing the linked attachments for very easy file distribution is a
> nice use case, and one of my clients actually does this. You don't
> have to set a up a separate file server and you keep your users from
> sending huge attachments around. For this scenario the size limits for
> linked and inline attachments should be de-coupled.
> Thoughts?
>
> Jan.

Hello

It should be possible to limit the size for linked attachments because  
the disk space used for storing is limited too ;-)
But i agree with you that it should be another limit than the one used  
for sending the attachment by SMTP.

Regards

Andreas
(Continue reading)

Otto Stolz | 1 Aug 14:05 2007
Picon

Re: Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Hi,

Jan Schneider schrieb:
> the attachment size limits are applied no matter  
> if the attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.  
...
> Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe even  
> not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked attachments?  

It would certainly make sense to provide separate size limits
for attachments and linked attachments. Normally, the size limit
for linked attachments would be much larger than the limit for
RFC-822 attachments.

As we had already a "File Transfer" service (akin to Imp's linked
attachments) in place, I had to modify imp/templates/compose/compose.inc
to adapt it to our situation (no linked attachments, rather a link
to our service). One reason not to allow linked attachments were
storage, and backup, considerations: Imp's upload drectory can be
kept small, and temporary (e. g. a RAM disk), when no linked attachments
need to be kept for days, or even weeks.

For sites like ours, some configurable backend, or hook interfaces,
for the linked attachments would come handy. It would be nice to exploit
Imp's user interface for the linked attachments (including a note on
the URL, in the message being composed), but still use some external
service for the actual storage (and later retrieval) of the files being
linked. I had not yet the time to think about the details of this
proposition, hence I haven't filed a formal enhancement request. Any
ideas?
(Continue reading)

Umut Arus | 1 Aug 14:47 2007

What phones supported by MIMP?

Hi,

I had set up horde, imp and mimp H3 (1.0.1). Some phones running 
abnormally. Some of phones are SonyEricssonK510i/R4EA Browser and 
SonyEricssonK750i/R1CA Browser. If anyone use these models with MIMP 
please inform me.

Is there supported phone's model list and/or PDA models? I want to share 
this list to our users.

Regards,
--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Jan Schneider | 1 Aug 15:39 2007

Re: What phones supported by MIMP?

Zitat von Umut Arus <umuta <at> sabanciuniv.edu>:

> Hi,
>
> I had set up horde, imp and mimp H3 (1.0.1). Some phones running
> abnormally. Some of phones are SonyEricssonK510i/R4EA Browser and
> SonyEricssonK750i/R1CA Browser. If anyone use these models with MIMP
> please inform me.
>
> Is there supported phone's model list and/or PDA models? I want to share
> this list to our users.

All XHTML and WML phone browsers are supported. Which of these two  
interfaces formats are sent to the phone depends on the browser brand  
though, and is determined in lib/Browser.php.

Jan.

-- 
Do you need professional PHP or Horde consulting?
http://horde.org/consulting/

--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Jan Schneider | 1 Aug 15:45 2007

Re: Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Zitat von Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz <at> uni-konstanz.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Jan Schneider schrieb:
>> the attachment size limits are applied no matter  if the  
>> attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.
> ...
>> Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe  
>> even  not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked  
>> attachments?
>
> It would certainly make sense to provide separate size limits
> for attachments and linked attachments. Normally, the size limit
> for linked attachments would be much larger than the limit for
> RFC-822 attachments.
>
>
>
> As we had already a "File Transfer" service (akin to Imp's linked
> attachments) in place, I had to modify imp/templates/compose/compose.inc
> to adapt it to our situation (no linked attachments, rather a link
> to our service). One reason not to allow linked attachments were
> storage, and backup, considerations: Imp's upload drectory can be
> kept small, and temporary (e. g. a RAM disk), when no linked attachments
> need to be kept for days, or even weeks.

IMP doesn't store linked attachments in the temporary folder  
explicitly. The attachments are stored in the VFS. So if you don't  
want them to end up in the temporary folder, configure your VFS  
(Continue reading)

Chuck Hagenbuch | 1 Aug 15:58 2007

Re: Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org>:

> If you can't cover your external service directly with an existing VFS
> driver, the easiest way would be to create a small custom VFS driver
> that wraps your service. I can also see us supporting different
> storage methods than VFS, but I first have to be convinced that such a
> storage method can't be covered by a VFS driver.

I agree; since we already have a driver model here, I'd be very  
reluctant to add another abstraction layer on top of that for linked  
attachments.

-chuck
--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Chuck Hagenbuch | 1 Aug 15:59 2007

Re: Attachment sizes and linked attachments

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan <at> horde.org>:

> I just noticed that the attachment size limits are applied no matter
> if the attachments are sent with the message or as linked attachments.
> The rationale behind linked attachments was to avoid sending large
> files with the SMTP protocol which was not designed as a file transfer
> protocol.
> Now, wouldn't it make sense to not use the same limits, or maybe even
> not use any limits at all, if you send files as linked attachments?
> Utilizing the linked attachments for very easy file distribution is a
> nice use case, and one of my clients actually does this. You don't
> have to set a up a separate file server and you keep your users from
> sending huge attachments around. For this scenario the size limits for
> linked and inline attachments should be de-coupled.
> Thoughts?

I agree with having a separate file size limit for linked attachments.

-chuck
--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Wolfgang Granzer | 1 Aug 20:01 2007

S/MIME signed emails viewing problem.

Hello,

I received a mail which has been digitally signed via S/MIME. After
enabling S/MIME support for IMP, I got this error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getDescription() on a non-object
in /usr/share/horde3/lib/Horde/MIME/Contents.php on line 971

Using Evolution or Thunderbird, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Regards, 

    Wolfgang 

--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
Frequently Asked Questions: http://horde.org/faq/
To unsubscribe, mail: imp-unsubscribe <at> lists.horde.org

Amilkar Sanz | 2 Aug 04:50 2007
Picon

Helloooo... i have this problem...!

I using Horde + IMP. Aparently it work ok, but when I open a mail, a  
receive a several lineas whith this messg:

Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in  
/var/www/webmail/lib/Horde/NLS/GeoIP.php on line 195

Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in  
/var/www/webmail/lib/Horde/NLS/GeoIP.php on line 196

this its the first line:
Warning: fopen(cu) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No existe  
el fichero o el directorio in /var/www/webmail/lib/Horde/NLS/GeoIP.php

what happend? why I don't have this file ?

thanks for your help !!!

amilkar

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.

-- 
Este mensaje ha sido analizado por MailScanner
en busca de virus y otros contenidos peligrosos,
y se considera que está limpio.
For all your IT requirements visit: http://www.transtec.co.uk

--

-- 
IMP mailing list - Join the hunt: http://horde.org/bounties/#imp
(Continue reading)


Gmane