Andrew Flegg | 29 Jan 17:20 2011

ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

The Maemo Community Council and Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh are pleased to
announce the launch of the Maemo 5 Community SSU project. It is
currently in a testing and elaboration phase, and your help is
required.

WHAT IS IT?
===========
Seamless Software Update (SSU), is the term Nokia used to brand the
over-the-air updates of Maemo.

Community Seamless Software Update (CSSU) is being developed by the
Maemo community, for the Maemo community. It aims to deliver fixes
which can't be delivered easily through Extras, such as core N900
packages. It won't, however, bundle software which can be installed
through the Extras repositories.

It's got a presence in various Maemo forums:
  * IRC:  #maemo-ssu on FreeNode
  * Bugs: bugs.maemo.org, product: Extras > Maemo 5 Community SSU
  * Wiki: http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU
  * Talk: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67905

WHO IS IT FOR?
==============
Long-term: all N900 users.
Now: power-users, developers, Nokia/Maemo/MeeGo engineers, testers,
documentation writers and those willing to risk a re-flash in order to
help.

HOW DO I INSTALL IT?
(Continue reading)

Ville M. Vainio | 29 Jan 18:31 2011
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@...> wrote:

> The Maemo Community Council and Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh are pleased to
> announce the launch of the Maemo 5 Community SSU project. It is

Quick install experience:

- The .install file didn't work. It added the repo but didn't proceed
with installation. I didn't get anything new on my app grid

- I had to "apt-get install community-ssu-enabler" from terminal

- After that it went ok.

--

-- 
Ville M. Vainio  <at>  <at>  Forum Nokia
Thomas Perl | 29 Jan 18:40 2011
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

Hi all,

2011/1/29 Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@...>:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@...> wrote:
>> The Maemo Community Council and Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh are pleased to
>> announce the launch of the Maemo 5 Community SSU project. It is
>
> Quick install experience:
>
> - The .install file didn't work. It added the repo but didn't proceed
> with installation. I didn't get anything new on my app grid

It did work for me, I had to wait a bit after adding the repository
was added (H-A-M doesn't show any progress, but it's working in the
background and will eventually show the "you want to install this
package" dialog.

About versioning of Community SSU updates: Can we have some
agreed-upon naming scheme for Community SSU versions? For example, the
new vte package in the Community SSUs has "1:0.16.14-0mh9.m6" as
version (up from 1:0.16.14-0mh9.m5). Wouldn't it be better  to name
such packages "1:0.16.14-0mh9.m5+cssu0" or something (so that we can
see on which "official" package the community SSU package is based?
Yes, this makes the package versions extremely long and messy (even
more than most of them already are), but it is easier from a
configuration management point of view. (the "m5" actually means Maemo
5 AFAICT).

Having this "cssu" naming policy in every package version also allows
to do something like "dpkg -l | grep cssu" and check if there are any
(Continue reading)

Andrew Flegg | 29 Jan 19:28 2011

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:31, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@...> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@...> wrote:
>
>> The Maemo Community Council and Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh are pleased to
>> announce the launch of the Maemo 5 Community SSU project. It is
>
> Quick install experience:
>
> - The .install file didn't work. It added the repo but didn't proceed
> with installation. I didn't get anything new on my app grid
>
> - I had to "apt-get install community-ssu-enabler" from terminal

Hmm, I don't suppose you happened to keep a copy of the HAM log? I ran
through the one documented test script (more welcome[1]!), which is a
clean reflash of PR1.3 (incl. eMMC) and did the install yesterday
without problem.

Obviously a number of people have also done it (including myself) on
other systems...

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/QA#Test_scripts

--

-- 
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@...  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council member
(Continue reading)

Ville M. Vainio | 29 Jan 20:08 2011
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@...> wrote:

> Hmm, I don't suppose you happened to keep a copy of the HAM log? I ran
> through the one documented test script (more welcome[1]!), which is a
> clean reflash of PR1.3 (incl. eMMC) and did the install yesterday
> without problem.

It was merely about having too many repos, and being too quick to quit
h-a-m, as Thomas pointed out.

--

-- 
Ville M. Vainio  <at>  <at>  Forum Nokia
Andrew Flegg | 29 Jan 22:23 2011

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 19:08, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@...> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@...> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I don't suppose you happened to keep a copy of the HAM log? I ran
>> through the one documented test script (more welcome[1]!), which is a
>> clean reflash of PR1.3 (incl. eMMC) and did the install yesterday
>> without problem.
>
> It was merely about having too many repos, and being too quick to quit
> h-a-m, as Thomas pointed out.

Fair enough; thanks :-)

--

-- 
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@...  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council member
Andrew Flegg | 29 Jan 22:33 2011

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 17:40, Thomas Perl <th.perl@...> wrote:
>
> About versioning of Community SSU updates: Can we have some
> agreed-upon naming scheme for Community SSU versions? For example, the
> new vte package in the Community SSUs has "1:0.16.14-0mh9.m6" as
> version (up from 1:0.16.14-0mh9.m5). Wouldn't it be better  to name
> such packages "1:0.16.14-0mh9.m5+cssu0" or something (so that we can
> see on which "official" package the community SSU package is based?
> Yes, this makes the package versions extremely long and messy (even
> more than most of them already are), but it is easier from a
> configuration management point of view. (the "m5" actually means Maemo
> 5 AFAICT).

Excellent idea (and yes, AFAIK, the "m5" means "Maemo 5"; but Nokia's
choice of versioning strategy seemed to be entirely in the remit of
each individual maintainer).

Could you raise a "consistent version modification" bug, please?

    https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Maemo 5 Community SSU

TIA,

Andrew

--

-- 
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@...  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council member
Thomas Perl | 30 Jan 11:29 2011
Picon

Re: ANNOUNCE: Maemo 5 gets community OS updates

Hi Andrew,

2011/1/29 Andrew Flegg <andrew@...>:
> Excellent idea (and yes, AFAIK, the "m5" means "Maemo 5"; but Nokia's
> choice of versioning strategy seemed to be entirely in the remit of
> each individual maintainer).
>
> Could you raise a "consistent version modification" bug, please?
>
>    https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Maemo 5 Community SSU

Done: https://bugs.maemo.org/11830

(Filed against "community-ssu-enabler", because the other components
were even less fitting..)

Thanks,
Thomas

Gmane